Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

UCLA-Stanford blackout on ESPN2

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,268 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

What I hate is that the Sport App shows that the game will be on 209. I set it to record with no problem. Later on I look for it on the playlist and find out it is not recording.

Yeah. That's the bad guide data. Yesterday, one of the channels had both games listed.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yeah. That's the bad guide data. Yesterday, one of the channels had both games listed.

yeah the problem is that for sat they say I'll be one and or the other. It needs to be specific and say only which game. I don't know if cable has the same issue or not. I assume so. Because your area determines which game is on which channel.

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,268 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

yeah the problem is that for sat they say I'll be one and or the other. It needs to be specific and say only which game. I don't know if cable has the same issue or not. I assume so. Because your area determines which game is on which channel.

I didn't check yesterday what my fios box said but I have seen the same problem there for the reverse mirror as well as other split channels like MLB Network.

It is surprising that they can't say "This stream is for Game A and this other one is for Game B" up front. It seems to be a bigger problem for ESPN because I have actually seen it messed up on both fios and DirecTV on which game is where. It is like they don't decide which stream until the final minute.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

I thinking because they. Only send out guide data nationally and don't send it out by market that this happens. That's the only thinking can think of, and its not user friendly at all. DIRECTV fix is easy,since they have a specific dedicated overflow channel, they could go that route. Not sure if local cable companies even have alt channels for espn. I they did, they could do it that way. Espn could even name the channel espn 4 or espn game channel 1 or whatever... Then offer both games to everyone and tell the cable operators just like they do to DIRECTV which feed to black out in what areas.

#25 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:42 AM

For cable ESPN handles the blackouts remotely from Bristol, the receiver the cable company has at the headend is automatically switched to the alternate feed at the right times and when there's an actual blackout like with baseball games on weekdays they are switched to ESPNEWS. Turner does similar things with TBS where the feed is switched to HLN during MLB blackouts. It happens with out of market sports packages too, iNDemand actually deauthorizes the receiver used for the channel if the game is blacked out for the headend.

As for the listings themself, it depends on what the deal the cable company has with the listing providers. Zap2it/Tribune does create custom channels for some providers, however when it comes to the last minute nature of NCAA scheduling where the final map isn't distributed by ESPN until Thursday afternoon, it isn't always possible to get the specific listing out in time for the custom channels so they just go with the "Game A or Game B" in the listing while things that are known in advanced like the weekday MLB blackouts, are reflected in the custom listing.

Edited by KyL416, 21 October 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

I thinking because they. Only send out guide data nationally and don't send it out by market that this happens. That's the only thinking can think of, and its not user friendly at all.

DIRECTV fix is easy,since they have a specific dedicated overflow channel, they could go that route. Not sure if local cable companies even have alt channels for espn. I they did, they could do it that way. Espn could even name the channel espn 4 or espn game channel 1 or whatever...

Then offer both games to everyone and tell the cable operators just like they do to DIRECTV which feed to black out in what areas.

The D* supervisor I spoke with told me he had no control over giving me access to 209-1, although he didn't direct me to contact espn either.

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,268 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

For cable ESPN handles the blackouts remotely from Bristol, the receiver the cable company has at the headend is automatically switched to the alternate feed at the right times and when there's an actual blackout like with baseball games on weekdays they are switched to ESPNEWS. Turner does similar things with TBS where the feed is switched to HLN during MLB blackouts. It happens with out of market sports packages too, iNDemand actually deauthorizes the receiver used for the channel if the game is blacked out for the headend.As for the listings themself, it depends on what the deal the cable company has with the listing providers. Zap2it/Tribune does create custom channels for some providers, however when it comes to the last minute nature of NCAA scheduling where the final map isn't distributed by ESPN until Thursday afternoon, it isn't always possible to get the specific listing out in time for the custom channels so they just go with the "Game A or Game B" in the listing while things that are known in advanced like the weekday MLB blackouts, are reflected in the custom listing.

There are two feeds coming out of espn as directv and dish get them. If the receiver switches at the headend, that means both feeds are coming out. Nothing you said precludes them giving one feed game A and the other game B per assigned then switch as needed. Guide data can be updated on the fly for the switched cable channels. My local abc always has the game data by game time.

#28 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 990 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

For cable ESPN handles the blackouts remotely from Bristol, the receiver the cable company has at the headend is automatically switched to the alternate feed at the right times and when there's an actual blackout like with baseball games on weekdays they are switched to ESPNEWS. Turner does similar things with TBS where the feed is switched to HLN during MLB blackouts. It happens with out of market sports packages too, iNDemand actually deauthorizes the receiver used for the channel if the game is blacked out for the headend.

As for the listings themself, it depends on what the deal the cable company has with the listing providers. Zap2it/Tribune does create custom channels for some providers, however when it comes to the last minute nature of NCAA scheduling where the final map isn't distributed by ESPN until Thursday afternoon, it isn't always possible to get the specific listing out in time for the custom channels so they just go with the "Game A or Game B" in the listing while things that are known in advanced like the weekday MLB blackouts, are reflected in the custom listing.

I don't know how "automatic" the switching is on able.  Comcast in Denver has, on multiple occasions, had the wrong feed up during a regional blackout, either causing something to be blacked out in error or causing something to come through that we shouldn't have received.  These events are uncommon, but they do happen.  I have even seen ESPN SD have one game and ESPN HD have another game at the same time.

#29 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I don't know how "automatic" the switching is on able.  Comcast in Denver has, on multiple occasions, had the wrong feed up during a regional blackout, either causing something to be blacked out in error or causing something to come through that we shouldn't have received.  These events are uncommon, but they do happen.  I have even seen ESPN SD have one game and ESPN HD have another game at the same time.

Automatic for the cable operator, but someone at ESPN still has to hit the right buttons (or type in the right headend ID numbers)

#30 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Dang blackouts in the first place.

#31 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

There are two feeds coming out of espn as directv and dish get them. If the receiver switches at the headend, that means both feeds are coming out. Nothing you said precludes them giving one feed game A and the other game B per assigned then switch as needed. Guide data can be updated on the fly for the switched cable channels. My local abc always has the game data by game time.

When cable companies get a receiver authorized for ESPN they require you to register which DMA and counties the headend serves, then it gets plugged into the multiple sats so the feed can be switched to channels that reside on other satellites like alternates and ESPNEWS. Since Dish and DirecTV are national they are not part of the pool where ESPN controls the receivers at the headend, they stay locked onto the main feed and bring in the alternate feed seperately. However since I'm not familiar with how DirecTV does things on their end, I don't know if they are hooked into the system where ESPN assigns the blackouts remotely and DirecTV then passes it on to whatever they use to determine if the game is blacked out for a zip code, or if DirecTV has to implement it manually.

In most cases the local station know which game they're getting in advanced, however markets that have no ties to either team or conference get to choose. It isn't until it's finalized that ESPN decides which game is on the main feed and which one will be on the alternate, that doesn't get sent out to the providers until Thursday afternoon.

Guide data cannot always be updated on the fly, DirecTV usually does a good job, for whatever reason they didn't this wekeend. Cable on the other hand is another story and it can vary from system to system, some can override the provided data to show the one game they're getting, others just show the national Game A or Game B listing you see on a site like Zap2it.

I don't know how "automatic" the switching is on able. Comcast in Denver has, on multiple occasions, had the wrong feed up during a regional blackout, either causing something to be blacked out in error or causing something to come through that we shouldn't have received. These events are uncommon, but they do happen. I have even seen ESPN SD have one game and ESPN HD have another game at the same time.

The Denver one is interesting, how long ago did the different game for HD and SD happen? ESPN switched to HD only distribution a few years ago where the one receiver outputs both HD and SD feeds to prevent things like that.

#32 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 990 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

When cable companies get a receiver authorized for ESPN they require you to register which DMA and counties the headend serves, then it gets plugged into the multiple sats so the feed can be switched to channels that reside on other satellites like alternates and ESPNEWS. Since Dish and DirecTV are national they are not part of the pool where ESPN controls the receivers at the headend, they stay locked onto the main feed and bring in the alternate feed seperately. However since I'm not familiar with how DirecTV does things on their end, I don't know if they are hooked into the system where ESPN assigns the blackouts remotely and DirecTV then passes it on to whatever they use to determine if the game is blacked out for a zip code, or if DirecTV has to implement it manually.

In most cases the local station know which game they're getting in advanced, however markets that have no ties to either team or conference get to choose. It isn't until it's finalized that ESPN decides which game is on the main feed and which one will be on the alternate, that doesn't get sent out to the providers until Thursday afternoon.

Guide data cannot always be updated on the fly, DirecTV usually does a good job, for whatever reason they didn't this wekeend. Cable on the other hand is another story and it can vary from system to system, some can override the provided data to show the one game they're getting, others just show the national Game A or Game B listing you see on a site like Zap2it.

The Denver one is interesting, how long ago did the different game for HD and SD happen? ESPN switched to HD only distribution a few years ago where the one receiver outputs both HD and SD feeds to prevent things like that.

The different programming on ESPN SD and ESPN HD happened some five years ago, before ESPN's switch to HD-only distribution (it would be kind of hard for that particular problem to happen today).

Over the last couple of years, I don't think we've experienced any issues with ESPN giving us the wrong game.  We have, however, had problems with other sports networks, including an erroneous blackout of an NHL playoff game on NBC Sports Network HD (but not SD) as well as multiple mixups with programming from out local RSN Altitude Sports (on days when they have two games at the same time, Comcast would not always pick up the right feed for the secondary game).  I guess these networks don't have the same automated system ESPN has.

spam firewall