Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Install - have a rain fade question

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   greeby

greeby

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPA Dutch Country

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hi All,

Had my install yesterday morning.

We had a small rainstorm come through yesterday afternoon and most of my channels were wiped out for a few minutes.

I know during heavy rain this can and does happen.

I jumped over to the satellite signal strength screen and 101 was still in the high 90's for signal strength, but 99 and 103 were in the 50's.

Is that normal or should 99 and 103 have been higher? Is it possible that the dish wasn't installed properly?

Just curious.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,686 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

Rain/Snow fade will occur without precipitation when storm clouds are directly in your dish's line of sight. Wait till the storm passes and check your signal strength again. If they are still weak give DirecTV a call.

• greeby likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,114 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

Rain fade affects the HD signals from 99 and 103 much more than the ones from 101. This is because the frequency bands are different, the raindrops cause greater attenuation at the Ka band frequencies than at Ku band. It's quite normal for the SD signals to be OK and the HD signals to be severely affected, in fact many of us can revert to an SD channel when the HD channel is giving 771 searching for satellite messages.

• greeby likes this

#4 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

Rain fade affects the HD signals from 99 and 103 much more than the ones from 101. This is because the frequency bands are different, the raindrops cause greater attenuation at the Ka band frequencies than at Ku band. It's quite normal for the SD signals to be OK and the HD signals to be severely affected, in fact many of us can revert to an SD channel when the HD channel is giving 771 searching for satellite messages.

This is the reason why I keep my SD channels to "Show SDs" in the guide. Then I just make a favorites list of all my regular channels (minus the SDs) and when the rain fade comes, quickly switch to "All Channels" and more often than not, the SD channel is still there, rain fade and all. But yes, the signals on 99 and 103 are a lot fussier in poor weather.

• greeby likes this

#5 OFFLINE   greeby

greeby

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

Makes perfect sense.

Thanks all!

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Rain/Snow fade will occur without precipitation when storm clouds are directly in your dish's line of sight. Wait till the storm passes and check your signal strength again. If they are still weak give DirecTV a call.

Exactly what you need to do. Your dish may not be properly aligned, but the only way to know is by checking when there are no weather issues. Your 99 and 103 signals should be in the high 80's or 90's (except on the "s" satellites, where you should have one or two high readings, but others can be low or zero).

If any of the non "s" satellites (99a / 103ca/cb) are lower than high 80's, your dish needs adjusting.

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hi All,

We had a small rainstorm come through yesterday afternoon and most of my channels were wiped out for a few minutes.

I know during heavy rain this can and does happen.

I jumped over to the satellite signal strength screen and 101 was still in the high 90's for signal strength, but 99 and 103 were in the 50's.

Is that normal or should 99 and 103 have been higher? Is it possible that the dish wasn't installed properly?

Just curious.

Thanks!

A poor dish alignment will increase rain fade chances. BTW, it's the rain drops that defect the signal. 

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,813 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

BTW, it's the rain drops that defect the signal.

Rain fade happens more because of dispersion in the clouds than it does due to the local drops.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,134 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

A poor dish alignment will increase rain fade chances. BTW, it's the rain drops that defect the signal. 

It's actually just moisture period. I've had rain fade when a big tall cloud comes over the house and it never actually start raining at my house.

#10 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,114 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

It's actually just moisture period. I've had rain fade when a big tall cloud comes over the house and it never actually start raining at my house.

It's the water droplets held inside the cloud.

#11 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,374 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

And a cloud over your house is likely to not be in the path of the sat. beam.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,999 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Exactly what you need to do. Your dish may not be properly aligned, but the only way to know is by checking when there are no weather issues. Your 99 and 103 signals should be in the high 80's or 90's (except on the "s" satellites, where you should have one or two high readings, but others can be low or zero).

If any of the non "s" satellites (99a / 103ca/cb) are lower than high 80's, your dish needs adjusting.

Since the tech had to pass IV and the install is so recent, we can assume that it is.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

Since the tech had to pass IV and the install is so recent, we can assume that it is.

Is it possible that since he had the install in the morning and rain in the afternoon, that the weather was already a bit iffy in the morning and the tech got an IV waiver?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,999 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Is it possible that since he had the install in the morning and rain in the afternoon, that the weather was already a bit iffy in the morning and the tech got an IV waiver?

It very well could be.  or IV was down (turned off)  because of weather.  This is the reason why customers should reschedule an install when on adverse weather.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   greeby

greeby

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

It very well could be.  or IV was down (turned off)  because of weather.  This is the reason why customers should reschedule an install when on adverse weather.  

Actually the sky was clear blue when the install happened in the AM.

Rain rolled in in the early evening.

All the satellites are in the high 90's when the sky is clear...

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,999 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Actually the sky was clear blue when the install happened in the AM.

Rain rolled in in the early evening.

All the satellites are in the high 90's when the sky is clear...

IV is by market. some markets are very big.  so it does not necessarily needs to be raining on or around your house in order for IV to be turn off

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   greeby

greeby

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

So, stupid question....

What is IV?

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

It's a test they do to make sure the signals are high before an installer leaves.

#19 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

IV is installation verification. Every DirecTv receiver we install has to pass IV in order to work. Sometimes IV is turned off on rainy days, some installers might take advantage.

There are two ways to test your dish alignment a system test(,settings,info and test) will check your satellite signal using IV standards and give you an error code if there is a problem.

You can also rerun satellite setup and if there is a problem you will get red x's.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#20 OFFLINE   greeby

greeby

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

Update....

So we've had several torrential rain events and I have had no other rain fade.

Odd that it happened on installation day and never again.

Thanks All

Protected By... spam firewall...And...