Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question for users regarding location

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Watching the discussions about location in the gas price thread made me wonder about this.  Why would anyone be unwilling to say what town or even what state they live in?  While I would never post my home address, phone number or even email on a discussion forum the truth is there are a lot easier ways to find me in today's world then to do the detective work required from getting my town in a forum.  Before anyone says anything this is NOT aimed at the member involved in the gas price thread, that is just what really made me think about it.

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,820 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

You know  - I don't mind helping people with their TV reception issues - but in order to do that, you have to have a vague idea where they live. People that want help without providing info have been getting a pass from me on helping them.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

I think it gives people a false sense of security just like thinking a chain on your front door is actually going to prevent someone from kicking the door in?  

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

It would be useful if more listed their DMA, which of course may not be the actual city or even state they live in.

Same goes for a basic listing of their equipment (and kept current). Of course some would be excluded, I'm not sure I want to know what VOS has at home, but he isn't exactly the type that needs our help anyway,

#5 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,299 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

For some, it's ignorance of the benefits to all in some discussions. For some, it's laziness. For some, it's perversity. For some it is fear. I've probably left out some other important "reason". 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

I agree!  Why post a gas price for location - USA???

You've already posted on the internet, anyone that wants your location already has it.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,534 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

I actually like to see where people are from!  I'm always interested in hearing about places in the country I have never been to, or heard of.

• Laxguy likes this

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,256 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

I don't mind a vague location ... a more accurate location helps in some threads. There is no rule that requires that a location be given in any thread - but there are certainly threads where it helps the conversation. If a user refuses to give a useful enough location it is easy to move on to another post or another thread without making a big deal out of the omission.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:39 AM

I don't mind a vague location ... a more accurate location helps in some threads. There is no rule that requires that a location be given in any thread - but there are certainly threads where it helps the conversation. If a user refuses to give a useful enough location it is easy to move on to another post or another thread without making a big deal out of the omission.

Well said. Unfortunately for some it's not easy for them to move on to another post or thread without making a big deal out of my omission.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

MysteryMan, as I said in my opening post this thread is not aimed at you, it was just your ongoing discussion in the other thread that inspired this. I have been on discussion forums long before I signed up here and have seen a few people who feel as you do. I am just trying to get insight into why people feel that way as I do not see it.  I agree with what James Long said, there is no obligation to post a location and in threads where a location is relevant I just ignore posts with no location.

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

My guess is that some folks are paranoid. I have seen a few posters that mention that they have a 26 or longer characters password in their wireless network. They feel that this is more secure than having a shorter one. I dont agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

The more people post on this subject the more comical and amusing it gets. Take the time to look and you'll find there are a abundance of DBSTalk members who not only do not list their location but have left their profile a blank. But nobody's jumping through hoops over that. There could be one or more reasons why I chose not to list my location. Being paranoid is NOT one of them. Maybe my user name has something to do with it. Maybe I have amnesia and can't remember where I live. Maybe my grammar isn't up to par and I can't spell my location. Maybe I reside at more than one location as many people do. Maybe I enjoying seeing people's reaction to me not listing my location. I could go on but why bother. There will always be those who get extremely upset over trivial things. That's their business. Not listing my location is my business.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,299 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

For some, it's ignorance of the benefits to all in some discussions. For some, it's laziness. For some, it's perversity. For some it is fear. I've probably left out some other important "reason". 

Oh, it's that some are just dug in on the issue, and will never change. A few seem to relish the attention it gets. They won't change, either.

#14 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Oh, it's that some are just dug in on the issue, and will never change. A few seem to relish the attention it gets. They won't change, either.

I know where most folks on the forum live, even the people that don't post their locations.  How?  If I find them interesting (you, for example, because of the controversy involving your user name when you joined us), I PM them and find out that way.  And I respect their privacy and never reveal their location.

All that said, it does drive me nutz at times when location becomes part of the conversation and I don't know where the posters are.

Kind of a conundrum, no?

Rich 

#15 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,299 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Whaaaaaaaatttttt!!!! I interesting only due to my handle???? I am very insulted.....

:)

Seeing a location helps me visualize posters, important to me. Of course, my visualizations bear no resemblance to reality, except for those members I've met, and they all post their locations anyhow. 

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Watching the discussions about location in the gas price thread made me wonder about this.  Why would anyone be unwilling to say what town or even what state they live in?  While I would never post my home address, phone number or even email on a discussion forum the truth is there are a lot easier ways to find me in today's world then to do the detective work required from getting my town in a forum.  Before anyone says anything this is NOT aimed at the member involved in the gas price thread, that is just what really made me think about it.

They believe it makes 'em more secure. It doesn't, but you'll never convince 'em.

Unless you want to totally get off the grid, any tracing service can quickly find you.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#17 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Whaaaaaaaatttttt!!!! I interesting only due to my handle???? I am very insulted.....

:)

Seeing a location helps me visualize posters, important to me. Of course, my visualizations bear no resemblance to reality, except for those members I've met, and they all post their locations anyhow. 

For those of you that don't get what we're talking about, some of us thought the Lax part of his user name referred to a commonly used laxative.  Seriously.  We had a lot of fun with that and him.  He handled all that with his usual good humor and I learned what the acronym for LaCrosse is.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,199 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

You know  - I don't mind helping people with their TV reception issues - but in order to do that, you have to have a vague idea where they live. People that want help without providing info have been getting a pass from me on helping them.

Their Location is the first thing I check when an area is involved. If it's blank, I move onto the next post or thread.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#19 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,199 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

I think it gives people a false sense of security just like thinking a chain on your front door is actually going to prevent someone from kicking the door in?  

My home security for years has always been a German Shepard. Yep, they can be quickly defeated, but not by your common burglar.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#20 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,199 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

It would be useful if more listed their DMA, which of course may not be the actual city or even state they live in.

Same goes for a basic listing of their equipment (and kept current). Of course some would be excluded, I'm not sure I want to know what VOS has at home, but he isn't exactly the type that needs our help anyway,

The forum could make that mandatory.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

Protected By... spam firewall...And...