Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Please review my equipment purchase for new DTV service.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RickDel

RickDel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hello, I just cancelled Comcast and preparing to switch to Directv!!!  I have five TV's and would like a review of the equipment I plan to purchase, or any other recommendations before I finalize my purchase.

I have (1) Genie, (3) minis, and (1) HD DVR HR24 in my cart.   I'm also getting a GenieGo as well.  

I want to have HD TV on all five TV's and the ability to pause live TV on two.   I was told I would be able to watch my DVR recording from both DVR's (Genie & HR24) on all recievers in my house, included watching Genie recordings on the HR24 and vice versa. 

Do I have the correct equipment?

Right now I have all my RG6 lines comming off one splitter in my basement.  Will I need any other equipment to split or boost my signal, or is this included with the free standard install?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks - Rick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

First of all, welcome aboard. You've come to the right place for advice.

Second thing: be clear that you're not "purchasing" anything. You're leasing it. When/if you change providers, that equipment goes back to Direct. It never "belongs" to you.

On the issue of distribution: how far from where your dish will be to the basement "distribution point"? That'll make or break that idea. Ideally, you'll have power handy there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#3 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

With the equipment listed you'll be able to pause and rewind live tv on all of your connected TVs. The minis work just like a regular HDDVR in basically every way.
unless you're in an enormous house, you'll be fine with what you've got, and all of the basic hardware will be included in the install.

Sent from my XT907 using DBSTalk mobile app

• RickDel likes this

#)

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

You are in good shape. you'll have DVR service at every TV (pause/rewind live TV, watch anything recorded on either box at any TV). You'll have 5 tuners working on whatever you schedule on the Genie and two tuners working on whatever you schedule on the HD DVR. 

Note that you may or may not get an HR24. You might get a different model, but it will have the same features. Same goes for the Genie. You might get the HR 34 or the HR 44. Same features, but different processor and form factor.

• RickDel likes this

#5 OFFLINE   RickDel

RickDel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

First of all, welcome aboard. You've come to the right place for advice.

Thanks!

Second thing: be clear that you're not "purchasing" anything. You're leasing it. When/if you change providers, that equipment goes back to Direct. It never "belongs" to you.

OK,  glad you cleared up that misconception!!  I thought it was mine!

On the issue of distribution: how far from where your dish will be to the basement "distribution point"? That'll make or break that idea. Ideally, you'll have power handy there as well.

I just measured it.  35' feet.  

Thanks Again!

Edited by RickDel, 20 October 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   RickDel

RickDel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

With the equipment listed you'll be able to pause and rewind live tv on all of your connected TVs. The minis work just like a regular HDDVR in basically every way.
unless you're in an enormous house, you'll be fine with what you've got, and all of the basic hardware will be included in the install.

Ok,  I thought only the DVR could pause live TV.   That's GREAT!!   So, will I even see a difference between the Genie and the mini (as far as viewing)?  If not, than I don't even see the need for a second DVR!! 

Thanks!

#7 OFFLINE   RickDel

RickDel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

You are in good shape. you'll have DVR service at every TV (pause/rewind live TV, watch anything recorded on either box at any TV). You'll have 5 tuners working on whatever you schedule on the Genie and two tuners working on whatever you schedule on the HD DVR. 

Note that you may or may not get an HR24. You might get a different model, but it will have the same features. Same goes for the Genie. You might get the HR 34 or the HR 44. Same features, but different processor and form factor.

To be clear,  I can watch all five TV's simultaneously and also recored a show on the Genie while watching a different program (on the Genie)?  

I'm trying to figure out why I'd even need a second DVR???

Thanks!!  

#8 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

A genie mini operates exactly like the main genie box. You get 100% of the features at the Genie mini clients as you do at the TV connected to the Genie server itself.

You will be able to watch any combination of live or recorded content on all five TVs with one exception: The Genie can only handle 3 remote clients at a time, so, if all three Genie minis are watching something (recorded or live, doesn't matter), you would not be able to use the stand alone HD DVR to watch a program recorded on the Genie. You WOULD however be able to watch live TV or any program recorded on the HD DVR at that TV location.

The 5 tuners in the Genie are shared between the Genie itself and the 3 Genie minis, meaning recordings + live TV for all three are deducted from the 5 tuners. The HD DVR is independent and has two tuners on its own.

• RickDel likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

A genie mini operates exactly like the main genie box. You get 100% of the features at the Genie mini clients as you do at the TV connected to the Genie server itself.

Not PiP

• RickDel likes this
It's only tv!

#10 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

Not PiP

Sorry, you're correct. No PIP on the clients, but you do get everything else, including 3D support.

• RickDel likes this

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,339 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

Also one thing to keep in mind, if the Genie ever has a failure, the clients will be unusable until you have the replacement Genie in. May never be an issue, but is something to remember.

Very good decision to find us. I hate it when someone comes here after the install and find that there was a better configuration for them than what they ordered.

• RickDel likes this

#12 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,475 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

The reason most people get a 2nd DVR is due to what someone above mentioned about the clients not working if your Genie goes out for some reason: having a back up for recording and watching TV. 

The 2nd DVR works well as a back up recorder for important Series Links (or even sometime sports events) and to have on hand if the other DVR fails.

And welcome!!

• RickDel likes this

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

When I came back to DirecTV, I knew I wanted DVR functionality in every room of my home.  The Genie clients work great, but I could only use so many clients in my setup.  The solution for me was to get an HR24.  

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

If I was given a choice between HDDVRs and clients, I will always take an HDDVR

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   RickDel

RickDel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!!  

I do have a couple more questions about installation.  I live in a townhouse with an old dish on the edge of my roof, which is about 20' feet high.   First, do you guys think the installer could just exchange the dish on the old mountf?  Also,  no offense to any installers here, but I'm VERY nervous about the quality and effort the installer will put into the job.  I would do the entire thing myself, but I don't have a ladder high enough, so do you think the installer would replace the dish and tuck the new cable behind the outside corner of the vinyl siding?  

Also, should I predrill the entry hole and get everything ready for the install, so the installer can just pull the cable after he's replaced the dish?  I'm just worried there will be some issue with the placement of my central location (the location where I have all my TV's lines coming off the splitter). 

Here's a couple pics of my current dish, it's location, and how I intend to run the cable into the house (this is my neighbor's house).   I don't want to use the old cable or the location where it enters into my home.  

photo1-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Thanks Again!!!!  - Rick

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

Deleted

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hello, I just cancelled Comcast and preparing to switch to Directv!!! I have five TV's and would like a review of the equipment I plan to purchase, or any other recommendations before I finalize my purchase.

I have (1) Genie, (3) minis, and (1) HD DVR HR24 in my cart. I'm also getting a GenieGo as well.

I want to have HD TV on all five TV's and the ability to pause live TV on two. I was told I would be able to watch my DVR recording from both DVR's (Genie & HR24) on all recievers in my house, included watching Genie recordings on the HR24 and vice versa.

Do I have the correct equipment?

Right now I have all my RG6 lines comming off one splitter in my basement. Will I need any other equipment to split or boost my signal, or is this included with the free standard install?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks - Rick

A couple questions for you.. What equipment did you have from Comcast? How many DVRs? How many non DVRs? I assume each DVR was two tuner. Also how many people in the house and abut how many series did you have set to record if you recall? Ball park it?

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!!

I do have a couple more questions about installation. I live in a townhouse with an old dish on the edge of my roof, which is about 20' feet high. First, do you guys think the installer could just exchange the dish on the old mountf? Also, no offense to any installers here, but I'm VERY nervous about the quality and effort the installer will put into the job. I would do the entire thing myself, but I don't have a ladder high enough, so do you think the installer would replace the dish and tuck the new cable behind the outside corner of the vinyl siding?

Also, should I predrill the entry hole and get everything ready for the install, so the installer can just pull the cable after he's replaced the dish? I'm just worried there will be some issue with the placement of my central location (the location where I have all my TV's lines coming off the splitter).

Here's a couple pics of my current dish, it's location, and how I intend to run the cable into the house (this is my neighbor's house). I don't want to use the old cable or the location where it enters into my home.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks Again!!!! - Rick

That dish is up there, not sure if they'll want to mess with it or not. And if that's an old roundish, the entire mount is different. Meh may want to locate it differently, and not touch that one, which could be good IMHO.

As for tucking the wires under in the way down, that's really dependent on the installer and probably how nice you are and how prepared you are for him. The easier you have made his job in terms of pulling tvs out for easy access the happier he will probably be.

I'd let him drill the whole myself, so he can seal it with the stuff he carries with him.

I'm my experience most have been great installers, but as we all know there is no guarantee. Hopefully you get a great one and if its not to hard hell do whatever you ask to make it easy and nice.

#19 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

Keep in mind if you get HD DVRs for every TV instead of Genie mini clients, you will need four lines off that dish into your house instead of one. a SWM LNB with one coax output can only support 8 tuners.

A Genie (5) + 4 HD DVRs (8) would result in 13 tuners requiring a SWM 16 switch. That's four lines off the dish into the house, and then two outputs from the switch. Probably one dedicated to the Genie and the second output to your splitter to the other TVs.

As far as your dish goes, they will not be able to reuse that mount. Given it's location, they should be able to service it but may not have a ladder that tall on the truck. I'd let the installer drill any holes so that you can be sure it's where it needs to be based on where he ends up putting the dish, running the wire, etc. I would, however, stay involved and make sure you make clear to him where you want things run, etc. Don't be a pain, but don't be shy about how you want things done.

#20 OFFLINE   RickDel

RickDel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

A couple questions for you.. What equipment did you have from Comcast? How many DVRs? How many non DVRs? I assume each DVR was two tuner. Also how many people in the house and abut how many series did you have set to record if you recall? Ball park it?

I had two DVR's and three small, basic $2.99 boxes that allow viewing to basic service.  I could record two shows at once on each DVR, so I assume that's two tuners,  and I used to have approx 10-12 series recording (again,  I assume you're referring to programs/tv shows I had set to record).  There are five people in the home.   One strange thing, is they just 'Upgraded' my two DVR's to a setup that was one 'master' DVR and another 'slave' that only allowed access to DVR recordings, but I couldn't pause live TV on the slave box (that's why I assumed the Genie and Genie Minis would work the same and only allow access to the recordings on the Genie, not actually allow me to pause live TV).  That was the LAST straw, so i cancelled service (too long to explain, but it was NUMEROUS issues with Comcast!).

That dish is up there, not sure if they'll want to mess with it or not. And if that's an old roundish, the entire mount is different. Meh may want to locate it differently, and not touch that one, which could be good IMHO.

As for tucking the wires under in the way down, that's really dependent on the installer and probably how nice you are and how prepared you are for him. The easier you have made his job in terms of pulling tvs out for easy access the happier he will probably be.

I'd let him drill the whole myself, so he can seal it with the stuff he carries with him.

I'm my experience most have been great installers, but as we all know there is no guarantee. Hopefully you get a great one and if its not to hard hell do whatever you ask to make it easy and nice.

Unfortunately, I think that's my only choice.  Since it's a townhouse, I have a small backyard and it's entirely obstructed by trees.  The roof is approx 20' feet high, but at the bottom is my concrete stairs going down into my basement, so a ladder can lock in there safely! 

It would only take a minute to tuck that cable, but if they decline, I'll just do it myself.  I have a ladder high enough for that (might just want to do it myself anyhow).  

Good advice on making the TV's accessible.  I normally do that

Thanks for the help!. 

xxxx.jpg

Keep in mind if you get HD DVRs for every TV instead of Genie mini clients, you will need four lines off that dish into your house instead of one. a SWM LNB with one coax output can only support 8 tuners.

A Genie (5) + 4 HD DVRs (8) would result in 13 tuners requiring a SWM 16 switch. That's four lines off the dish into the house, and then two outputs from the switch. Probably one dedicated to the Genie and the second output to your splitter to the other TVs.

As far as your dish goes, they will not be able to reuse that mount. Given it's location, they should be able to service it but may not have a ladder that tall on the truck. I'd let the installer drill any holes so that you can be sure it's where it needs to be based on where he ends up putting the dish, running the wire, etc. I would, however, stay involved and make sure you make clear to him where you want things run, etc. Don't be a pain, but don't be shy about how you want things done.

I'm still trying to comprehend all your info.  I intend to get 1 Genie, 3 minis, and 1 HR24 DVR, so is that two cables coming off the dish?

I think this is the only suitable location for the Dish, considering the remainder of my property is obscured by trees.  As a result, I think I'll need to be above the trees to obtain signal. Do you know if there's anyway to verify if the installer will work in that location before purchasing service?  

Thanks for the help!

Edited by RickDel, 21 October 2013 - 07:55 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...