Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44-500 and External 3 TB WD drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

I have the set-up described in the title to this post.  It's the "recommended" 3TB drive, with Thermaltake enclosure.  First had it with a HR34, but when that went south and DTV replaced it with a HR44, it hooked up fine with that as well.  

It was working perfectly for about 2 months, between the 34 and the 44.  Then, tonight, upon returning from a short trip, I got a blue screen on start up that said there was a problem with my "storage device".  Code give was 75-134.  It advised me to reboot.

I've done this several times now, and various things have happened during those reboots (hard resets of both the WD and the HR44-500.)  At times, I get another blue screen that says there are errors on the drive, and that the drive would try to fix itself, but that might take "several hours".  It shows 1 error found, and 0 corrected.  Then, after about 10 minutes while the "scanning" bar stays at 0%, I get the reboot screen again.

When I get DTV back up, it no longer sees the external drive.  What's strange to me, though, is that it also no longer has any of my series in my series manager.

Does that make sense?  Has the drive just spontaneously quit on me after a couple of months?  

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

All your series links and guide data and settings channel lists etc are all stored on the hard drive.

Do you have another enclosure to try? Maybe pop the hard drive into a computer and run we diag on it to make sure its ok?

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

You can try another enclosure and another cable but it sounds like It's a bad drive, it happens.  The reason you don't see your Series Links when running on the internal drive is because they are on the external drive.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

Thanks to you both.  I may try it with my desktop.  It certainly sounds the same as it did before--very quiet, but definitely running, not just the fan.  It's just not hooking up anymore... 

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thanks to you both.  I may try it with my desktop.  It certainly sounds the same as it did before--very quiet, but definitely running, not just the fan.  It's just not hooking up anymore... 

I think you'll find that there is a 2 year warranty on that WD drive.  It's pretty easy to get a replacement.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thinking about your problem further, it may very well be the enclosure that is causing the problem.  I'd try RunnerFL's suggestion and try another external device on it.  Those external devices are the weakest links in the chain.  Thing is, a bad external device will show many of the same symptoms as a bad HDD.  

Rich 

spam firewall