Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

finally got my direct installed today

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Well, had my genie hr 34 installed this morning.have to say, WOW!!! So far so good.once I finish setting up favourites and such I will post more. But so far I  definitely enjoying it. I had dish for a few years and I can say I should have switched sooner.the picture is to me ten times better than dish.I have read a lot of people on here complaining about the guides and other stuff, but to me all is good,already have set stuff up to record with no problems. Will post more tomorrow after I play around a little..thanks to everyone on here that answered all my questions about direct.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Glad you like it. Don't forget that it can take 24 hours for the guide data and apps to populate. Enjoy.

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Good the hear;

Glad you're enjoying the unit and hope the good news keeps up. :)

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Another happy HR34 customer.....  :righton:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Glad to hear your enjoying the Genie. I want one, haven't gotten one yet.  :grin:

#6 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yes , definitely happy. Had to do some fine tuning on my pic color on my vizio but now is perfect.only thing I see that sort of bugs me is that I have to occasionally change my screen mode to zoom so I don't have to look at the bars on some hd shows on HBO , don't remember having to do that on my hopper, but that is a minor thing.other than that everything is working God. Guide is moving fast no slow responses. I just set my favourites list . That's one thing out of the way. Will play around more later. Time to eat!   :righton:

Edited by jefte1, 21 October 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

:eek2:  If you have an HD TV you shouldn't see bars on any HBO content as far as I know. You might want to check your display preferences.

#8 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Yeah what bars? And actually if they are small I the top and bottom then that's because the movie was hot with a wider aspect. If keep the bars it will give you a better picture actually.

#9 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

I couldn't stand to watch something like that though. Then again, I always bought full screen DVD's and not widescreen at any and every opportunity for the same reason  :grin:

#10 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Yes , definitely happy. Had to do some fine tuning on my pic color on my vizio but now is perfect.only thing I see that sort of bugs me is that I have to occasionally change my screen mode to zoom so I don't have to look at the bars on some hd shows on HBO , don't remember having to do that on my hopper, but that is a minor thing.other than that everything is working God. Guide is moving fast no slow responses. I just set my favourites list . That's one thing out of the way. Will play around more later. Time to eat!   :righton:

Could you clarify a little bit what type of format your are seeing on HBO? 

I will post some examples of each below:

Letterboxing: Black bars at bottom and top of screen.
303530_1.jpg

Pillarboxing: Black bars at left and right of screen.
303530_2.jpg

Windowboxing: Black bars on top, bottom, left, and right of image.
303530_3.jpg

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#11 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

thanks coolman, it was probably just letter boxing, was just the show I was watching. stayed up late playing around on it.Everything is running good.recorded some shows and played back a couple with no problems. Loving the picture quality.

#12 OFFLINE   dvdguru

dvdguru

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Back in the good old days HBO showed films in their original aspect ratio which meant some films would have black bars at the top and bottom (or on the sides for 4:3 material). Then they surveyed a few people and changed to cropping everything to fill the screen :( I wish they'd reconsider that instead of "dumbing down" their channel for the uninformed....

You probably saw an older film from their library as there are still quite a few of the older ones that are shown in OAR from those days.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

Back in the good old days HBO showed films in their original aspect ratio which meant some films would have black bars at the top and bottom (or on the sides for 4:3 material). Then they surveyed a few people and changed to cropping everything to fill the screen :( I wish they'd reconsider that instead of "dumbing down" their channel for the uninformed....

You probably saw an older film from their library as there are still quite a few of the older ones that are shown in OAR from those days.

Agree 100%.. bummer...  They should go back to OAR

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Some of us don't like widescreen formats, and no need to insult those who don't and prefer a stretch/full screen format. Having a different taste than you isn't dumb, simply different thank you

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

There's a consideration that hasn't been mentioned, and that's that you get higher resolution when using OAR. Many TVs will let you then stretch it if that's your preference. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...