Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

question on screen format for genie

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hi all, I have a question on screen format for my 60" vizio. Had direct installed today and the tech put my tv on wide format, which dreamed ok.we downloaded a tv show from on demand that we had missed last week. When I stated to play the show the format looked off, so I switched my tv to normal and it was fine. Is there a certain screen format. I should always use or just need to switch back and forth? Is there also a format in the genie settings I need to go by? And if so, what do I do? Thanks in advance for your help. :righton:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Best is to leave the Genie with the defaults, that is crop format and 16x9 aspect ratio

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

How do I make sure it's on crop format?

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,413 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

There are TV Ratio 16x9 (Wide) and 4x3 (Standard) setting. Both for your TV & DVR - Some TVs have a Letterbox setting.

There are several Screen Formats - crop, pillar, stretch, origanal

And then there are the Resolutions - 480, 720 & 1080.

Both your DVR & TV should be set to Wide (16x9).

Resolution 720 at least.

If your screen still looks strange, it is the format that should be adjusted. I use Pillar for about 99% of my viewing.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hard to say exactly for the TV as its settings and what they are named vary by manufacturer.

Personally though I keep my TV set on "Normal" which properly formats the picture for displaying both 16:9 HD and 4:3 SD images.

For the Genie, while you may want to play around with the receiver settings to see what works best for your viewing tastes. I personally prefer to only check the HD resolutions 720p, 1080i, and 1080p (if capable) in the settings, and select "Native" under the "Video" category.

This way the GUI for the channel guide, menus, channel banner, etc. will still fill out the entire 16:9 screen even when viewing 4:3 SD material.

Remember to keep your remote's format selection on "Pillar Box" if you choose this configuration, otherwise 4:3 SD programs will be stretched.     

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

How do I make sure it's on crop format?

Sorry I menat pillar box

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

But also note that any changes to make on the DirecTV receivers only affect SD channels.  None of the DirecTV receivers can alter HD channels.  so if you are watching an HD channel with SD content you would see a 4:3 picture.  if you would like such program to be stretched, you will need to use your TV "zoom" feature as the DirecTV cannot stretch the channel as the black bars are part on the picture 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

To check out all the display and resolution options, go to:

Menu => Settings & Help => Settings => Display

From there you will find TV Ratio, TV Resolutions, Video, etc.  You can change them around to experiment.

You can also change these while watching a program by choosing "Info" and then using the arrow keys to move across the menu at the top of the screen to "Audi/Video" and then pressing enter on "Change Resolution & Format".  Then you can toggle between the different choices.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks all, got it set up. Can't say enough about the picture quality. Everything I set up so far has recorded and even watched a couple of them  and had no problems with playback. Some people where saying the 34's  we're slow in responding, but mine is doing extremely well.so far have no complaints.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

But also note that any changes to make on the DirecTV receivers only affect SD channels.  None of the DirecTV receivers can alter HD channels.  so if you are watching an HD channel with SD content you would see a 4:3 picture.  if you would like such program to be stretched, you will need to use your TV "zoom" feature as the DirecTV cannot stretch the channel as the black bars are part on the picture 

Actually peds;

Like many other set top box designs the DIRECTV receiver's ability to change image shape don't seem to depend on whether it has a native HD or SD resolution, but their aspect ratios in comparison to the one selected in the receiver settings.

If a received program's AR is the same as in the settings, you can't alter its shape. if its different you can.

For example, on an HD receiver with 16:9 (naturally) selected in the settings, try tuning to the BYU channel on 374 or Baby First on 293. both of which are SD, but with a 16:9 AR.

You won't be able to alter their picture formats either. 

#11 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

I always keep mine set to :

Native

Original Format

16x9

I set the resolutions in my Directv menu to what the display allows (check your manual). In my case its 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

I always keep mine set to :

Native

Original Format

16x9

I set the resolutions in my Directv menu to what the display allows (check your manual). In my case its 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

Yeah, but like I said earlier;

The only problem with those settings, is that whenever you watch a 4:3 SD channel on an HDTV and wish to bring up a GUI screen for any reason like the channel guide or something, it will also be in the same 4:3 size of the image instead of filling out the entire 16:9 screen as with viewing an HD channel. 

#13 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

Crop format will chop some programs off. There is no setting to make all SD in proper aspect ratio. Best and most practical is Native off, only 1080i and 1080p checked, and pillar box mode selected. TV set to "screen fit" "set by program" or something similar (16:9 if you must) SD will be 4:3 and the HD will be 16:9. The guide will always be HD and 16:9.

Still, many SD programs will be out of aspect ratio and SHOULD be 16:9 SD but are smushed into the center of the screen. This is because they are flagged as 4:3 when they should not be. Some channels will be mixed "smushed" and regular. A few (BYUTV and BabyFirst) are proper 16:9 SD. Two of my locals are SD 16:9, too. 

Other settings slow it down and waste time. 

Edited by ejbvt, 22 October 2013 - 05:19 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#14 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Thanks all, got it set up. Can't say enough about the picture quality. Everything I set up so far has recorded and even watched a couple of them  and had no problems with playback. Some people where saying the 34's  we're slow in responding, but mine is doing extremely well.so far have no complaints.

It took mine over a month to become the piece of junk it is now. At first, it was great. It was noticeably shower after 3 days. It's all been downhill from there!

Edited by ejbvt, 22 October 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,727 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Crop format will chop some programs off. There is no setting to make all SD in proper aspect ratio. Best and most practical is Native off, only 1080i and 1080p checked, and pillar box mode selected. TV set to "screen fit" "set by program" or something similar (16:9 if you must) SD will be 4:3 and the HD will be 16:9. The guide will always be HD and 16:9.

My experience is that going into the Guide from an SD channel makes the Guide SD as well. At that point, I don't care what the aspect ratio is; let me outta there! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

My experience is that going into the Guide from an SD channel makes the Guide SD as well. At that point, I don't care what the aspect ratio is; let me outta there! 

It will only do that if you select the 480i resolution and native on.

If you have only 1080i, 1080p, (some would say 720, as well, and I understand why) selected, all SD programming and the guide will stay within HD resolutions with native on.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Actually peds;

Like many other set top box designs the DIRECTV receiver's ability to change image shape don't seem to depend on whether it has a native HD or SD resolution, but their aspect ratios in comparison to the one selected in the receiver settings.

If a received program's AR is the same as in the settings, you can't alter its shape. if its different you can.

For example, on an HD receiver with 16:9 (naturally) selected in the settings, try tuning to the BYU channel on 374 or Baby First on 293. both of which are SD, but with a 16:9 AR.

You won't be able to alter their picture formats either. 

Never watched those channels.  However on the same note, these seems to be the exception not the rule.  I am not referring to HD or SD resolution, but rather AR.  On an HD channel with an SD picture regardless of the resolution you can't change the AR, you can however change the AR on any HD channel (with the exception of the channel you mentioned)

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

Never watched those channels.  However on the same note, these seems to be the exception not the rule.  I am not referring to HD or SD resolution, but rather AR.  On an HD channel with an SD picture regardless of the resolution you can't change the AR, you can however change the AR on any HD channel (with the exception of the channel you mentioned)

Not following this explanation here peds;

Perhaps you can rephrase it?

Again from my findings, if 16:9 is selected in the receiver setup, HD channels, which are 16:9 or course, or any 16:9 SD channels' formats will be unalterable by the receiver. 

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

It will only do that if you select the 480i resolution and native on.

If you have only 1080i, 1080p, (some would say 720, as well, and I understand why) selected, all SD programming and the guide will stay within HD resolutions with native on.

This is similar to the viewer settings I use as well;

The only difference is I prefer to keep native on with 720p selected too as you suggest above some do, so to only use the receiver's internal scaler for converting all SD channels to 720p.

Just a personal preference of mine where I like all the HD channels in their native formats from the receiver and let the TV set handle any necessary scaling or de-interlacing for them. 

Edited by HoTat2, 23 October 2013 - 06:02 AM.

spam firewall