Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cell phone boosters - any experiances with them ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Title says it all - I live in a forest, in the proverbial Faraday cage of a house. Cell phone service in the house is essentially zip. WiFi coverage outside the house is dead by 120 feet (the end of my driveway).  I've been trying to decide if one of these would help ...

This is the specific model I'm interested in -

http://www.solidsign...ku=186639000663

Edited by scooper, 21 October 2013 - 06:04 PM.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   docj

docj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

The device you noted won't work in the 700 MHz 4G band if that matters to you.

Most of us RVers use the 4G version of the Wilson Sleek.  You can leave your phone in the cradle and use a Bluetooth headset to talk through it.  The Sleek is capable of >20 dB gain and typically provides 15-20 dB improvement.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

I have a cousin in a very isolated area with no cell service indoors or out.  He got the (sorry don't recall the name) service that makes his house a very small cell and (IIRC) VOIPs his cell calls over the internet.

Unfortunately, it is not compatible with his Hughes satellite internet, HOWEVER, text messages work just fine, and it's only voices that don't work over the Hughes connection.  He still gets the caller ID info on incoming calls, and then just landlines them back.

He can't get DSL at his location, and the only internet option is Hughes.  He is satisfied with this arrangement, before, he had to drive 1/2 mile to get to a hilltop where the cell worked.

Not saying this is the answer for the OP, but anyone else looking over the thread might consider if this system would be 'good enough' if they are in an isolated (but STUNNINGLY beautiful) valley far from civilization.

Back in NTSC days, he had 3 VHF channels, when the nation went digital, he lost all OTA.  He was pretty happy to get DirecTV. 

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

I do have Centurylink DSL and (currnetly) Timewarner Cable Internet, and my current landline is a Voip ATA from Callcentric.

4G service is not currently a concern, but there was a link about addressing that with the booster I referenced. Our cell service is AT&T Go phones right now, but we have used Virgin Mobile in the past. (Sprint PCS service deosn't work any better here either).

I am SPECIFICALLY looking for a home cell phone booster comments.

#5 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,999 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

I have tried some of the Wilson products with good results.

But remember it needs to first get the cell signal to bring it into your home.

So the most important thing is you need an outside antenna of good size and pretty high.  Then cabling to get it to the repeater/booster in the house.

#6 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,355 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

I have a cousin in a very isolated area with no cell service indoors or out.  He got the (sorry don't recall the name) service that makes his house a very small cell and (IIRC) VOIPs his cell calls over the internet.

Unfortunately, it is not compatible with his Hughes satellite internet, HOWEVER, text messages work just fine, and it's only voices that don't work over the Hughes connection.  He still gets the caller ID info on incoming calls, and then just landlines them back.

He can't get DSL at his location, and the only internet option is Hughes.  He is satisfied with this arrangement, before, he had to drive 1/2 mile to get to a hilltop where the cell worked.

Not saying this is the answer for the OP, but anyone else looking over the thread might consider if this system would be 'good enough' if they are in an isolated (but STUNNINGLY beautiful) valley far from civilization.

Back in NTSC days, he had 3 VHF channels, when the nation went digital, he lost all OTA.  He was pretty happy to get DirecTV. 

Sounds exactly like my house!  Although I used to get a great Verizon signal in my house when we first moved in 9 years ago.  But as phones get slimmer and smaller and smarter, the radio signal gets worse and worse.  Now I get no phone signal in the house at all.  Hubby's phone, which is not a smart phone, does much better.  He can actually talk to people on his phone in our house!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Title says it all - I live in a forest, in the proverbial Faraday cage of a house. Cell phone service in the house is essentially zip. WiFi coverage outside the house is dead by 120 feet (the end of my driveway).  I've been trying to decide if one of these would help ...

This is the specific model I'm interested in -

http://www.solidsign...ku=186639000663

I don't know about other carriers but I use a product from Verizon (basically a mini cell tower) that connects to the internet and transmits a signal in your home.  Used with a  Verizon phone, works good anywhere in the house.  In other words if someone else with a Verizon phone is in your house he can use it also.   I got it for $100, I think they get $200 for it now but no monthly charge other than your regular cell phone monthly charge.   If there is a usable signal outside the  house it will automatically transfer to it when you walk outside.   Assuming it can fine a signal before losing the signal from the house.

I forgot to add, it needs to be near a window as it won't work until it finds a GPS signal.

Edited by GravelChan, 21 October 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have an AT&T microcell. It costs $200.00 but if your area has bad service you may get it for free. I went to my local AT&T store and asked for the store manager. He was able to locate my house on a map and could verify poor service because of the number of microcells they had installed in my area. I got it for free, but it took 2 calls to AT&T and two trips to the store before I had success.

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

I have a WiEx in-home unit.  It's an earlier version but worked with my Verizon service and now works with my TracFone.  I have the outside antenna mounted about 40' up on a TV mast.  I get 5 bars inside the house.

They've put up at least one more tower since I've had this, so I might get better service now, but at the time, I could barely get anything inside and about 2-3 bars outside in the yard.

I use a cell phone as a phone only, no data, no video.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#10 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:20 AM

I too have the AT&T MicroCell. Been using it for years with no problems. Like the Verizon version mentioned above it needs to be near a window to 'see' the GPS signals.

#11 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

Several years ago, I used the ATT MicroCell for our 3G iPhones.   It restored our non-existant reception in the house.

Check with ATT, they may have a surplus and you may get one for free.  Ask if the GoPhones can be used with it.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Oh, the GO phones could be used with the AT&T microcell - it's just that AT&T wants you to have a POSTPAID account to activate it.. Slight problem there for us...

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

There's no monthly cost and no activation cost for the micro cell - unless it's because of the GoPhones.

Lean on them, tell them how much better Verizon reception is. . .

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

There's no monthly cost and no activation cost for the micro cell - unless it's because of the GoPhones.

Lean on them, tell them how much better Verizon reception is. . .

I did that and now I am a T-Mobile customer.... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...