Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Finally got around to upgrading.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Slygrin

Slygrin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts
  • LocationMoses Lake, WA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Sorry for the longish post. It just grew bigger and bigger as I typed...

Couple of weeks ago I decided that we needed HD in the bedroom and whole home viewing. Called DirecTv and got a Genie on the way. Had it installed 10/19. So far I love it, here are some details then a couple of questions which are probably more of wish list items.

Original equipment, HR20-700 in the living room and an old R10 in the bedroom. Called and ordered a Genie with the plan to move the HR20 to the bedroom and deactivate the R10.

We had a noon to 4:00  install window. Installer called at 10:30 and wanted to know if he could come over early, in about 15 minutes. Stuck the dogs in the spare room and did the happy dance.

After setting up the dish with SWiM we moved the HR20 to the bedroom. He then told me he could upgrade it to an HR24 for free. I said sure! I didn’t think to ask to upgrade it when I called to order. We lost some recordings because I wasn’t planning on replacing the HR20. All well it’s just TV.

So all done and said got an HR44-500, HR24-500 and installation for no cost.

Oh, only one minor snag. We couldn’t get the wireless to connect on the HR44. I finally told him to go ahead and leave and I would get it figured out. My wireless is setup with 128 bit WEP, I know it’s not very secure but I have some things on the network that need it until I get a chance to replace them. Anyway, after some head scratching I figured out that I had to setup the router to use a key in HEX. Once that was changed all worked great.

We love the whole home setup and the new receivers are light years ahead of our old ones when it comes to speed.

Now for the wishlist, or maybe I’m just not seeing how it’s done.

When we try to record or schedule a 3rd show at the same time on the HR24 it comes up with the normal cancel something box. It would be nice if it would just automatically record to the HR44.

If the above is not possible, it would be nice if you could select the DVR to record to when setting up a recording.

I know it won’t be that hard to go out to the living room and setup the recording on the HR44. But, it would be very convenient to set it up from both locations and I’m lazy.

That’s it for now, back to setting up the series manager.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

. . . .

When we try to record or schedule a 3rd show at the same time on the HR24 it comes up with the normal cancel something box. It would be nice if it would just automatically record to the HR44.

. . . .

That's one of MRV network improvements we have ask for.

BTW, a H2x on a Whole Home network can select which DVR to record to. If DirecTV can program a non-DVR to select any DVR on a network, they should be able to program any DVR on a Whole Home network with the same thing.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

You may do remote scheduling from an iPad with an App developed by DIRECTV for this purpose, or schedule a recording online of course (though for an individual recording, not a series or "Series Link").

But not from another DVR on the home network unfortunately, 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...