Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722k Slowdown and Oddities

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jamus

Jamus

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

My 722k has been acting odd for the past week or two.  At first it was just the occasional "slow guide" problem then it began having more and more slow to respond buttons other than the guide.  I changed batteries in the remote first thing.  Still had issues.  I used the red reset button on the front panel and it seemed ok at first, but about a night or two later it seemed just as slow as before.  The internal hard drive was not full (I have seen it slow to a crawl when it gets full) and had about 25 HD hrs available.

Now I have been noticing what appears to be dropped frames on some recorded DVR shows.  A character will be talking and part of a word will just clip out and the image seems to jump a few frames.  I am worried I might be about to have yet another hard drive fail and take a bunch of fall shows I have not watched yet with it!

All this leads to ask:

1.  Any 722k updates came out recently that seemed unstable that could be the cause of my problems?

2.  If I use an external USB drive for my recordings, do you see any sluggishness from using external USB vs internal drive?

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Have you done a power cord reboot?

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

Get am external hard drive, self powered, and connect it to you 722.  Move the recorded shows from the internal to the external and then get a replacement for the 722 from Dish.  You might want to try watching the shows from the external to see if they are ok.

It does sound like your internal hard drive is going bad so you might be out of luck if you delay, maybe out of luck already.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#4 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Jamus,

I wanted to check with you to see if the issue with the 722k is still going on. If so, please press the buttons of; Menu/6/1/1 and select Check Switch and then Test. Once all test complete, exit out of all menus and allow the 722k to reacquire the signal and download the program guide. Try the different features to make sure it’s working correctly, if not please PM me with the phone number on the account to better help you.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   Jamus

Jamus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Have you done a power cord reboot?

Yes, power cord pulled, left off for 1 min, plugged it back up and let it sit while it did the normal boot up.  Things seemed good at first, but about 5 min later, I started noticing the sluggishness had returned.

#6 OFFLINE   Jamus

Jamus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Jamus,

I wanted to check with you to see if the issue with the 722k is still going on. If so, please press the buttons of; Menu/6/1/1 and select Check Switch and then Test. Once all test complete, exit out of all menus and allow the 722k to reacquire the signal and download the program guide. Try the different features to make sure it’s working correctly, if not please PM me with the phone number on the account to better help you.

Thanks

I will try this tonight and see how it goes.

I am suspicious of sending my phone number to track this forum account to my Dish account though.  If it does not work, I will likely contact Dish via a chat session.  I got burned badly with a phone call from Dish, so prefer to have everything possible in a written chat session.

#7 OFFLINE   Jamus

Jamus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

I did the requested "Menu/6/1/1 and select Check Switch" test and did not see any reported errors.  If the problem gets worse, I will have to go ahead and call in to Dish (which I simply cannot stand to do based on the few previous support calls I have had to place).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 722k

spam firewall