Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera America Cuts Deal With Time Warner Cable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

http://www.huffingto..._n_4155623.html

Al Jazeera America Cuts Deal With Time Warner Cable

The Huffington Post | By Jack Mirkinson
Posted: 10/24/2013 8:49 am EDT

Al Jazeera America has made a crucial deal with Time Warner Cable, the network announced on Thursday.

Time Warner had previously declined to carry the new channel on its cable system, but the two sides finally came to an arrangement, and Al Jazeera America will now be available for Time Warner customers.

Al Jazeera's press release said this would "make the channel available to almost 55 million homes." Many Time Warner customers reside in critically important media centers like New York and Los Angeles, making the deal especially important.

The New York Times first reported the deal.

Al Jazeera and Time Warner had been in discussions for months.

Edited by AntAltMike, 24 October 2013 - 09:40 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Based on the comments I've seen on DirecTV, I hope TWC also carries The Blaze.

#3 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Every story I've ever heard of coming from The Blaze, you can get from any AM radio.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Might be true, I personally have no interest, but the last time I went on DirecTV's facebook, there was spamming on totally unrelated posts about the lack of the channel. I'm hoping TWC spares themselves that.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Might be true, I personally have no interest, but the last time I went on DirecTV's facebook, there was spamming on totally unrelated posts about the lack of the channel. I'm hoping TWC spares themselves that.

A channel should be carried based on it's own merits, not just to shut up a few noisy people. :)

I have both channels ... I watched both the first week or so that they were available. I might be able to find them again if I went looking. I don't object to either being on my service but I've got hundreds of other channels to watch. :D

BTW: Available to 55 million homes includes subscribers to other services carrying AJA.
BTW2: DISH still carries the channel as "Current" in the EPG.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

BTW: Available to 55 million homes includes subscribers to other services carrying AJA.

Another article indicated that the Times Warner increases their availability from 44 million homes to 55 million, so they have increased their availability to current basic customers by 11 million, or 25%.

Edited by AntAltMike, 24 October 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Time-Warner Cable Products and Services sub-forum? Seems it might be more appropriate since its not exactly TV Show Talk...

#8 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Time-Warner Cable Products and Services sub-forum? Seems it might be more appropriate since its not exactly TV Show Talk...

I put it here because the subject of its availability became topical to those who lost it when it got taken off FTA satellite and broadcast TV, and those former viewers most likely do not visit the Time Warner thread.  Many Aljazeera fans and detractors like to keep abrest of its national availability, and this deal increased its reach by 25%, from 44 million homes to 55 million.

This particular incarnation is a new "Americanized" Aljazeera, and Aljazeera is now morphing into another cable news channel, as it now enlists cable TV has-beens as its prime time hosts, just to broaden its appeal.  Unfortunately for them, so does Russia Today, which runs Larry King at 9:00 and 11:00 PM.  Just before this expansion of availability, it was reported that Aljazeera pulles a ZERO rating in key demographics on a couple of its evening shows, but it did clobber Jim Cramer 26K to 6K a couple of weeks ago. 

Edited by AntAltMike, 05 April 2014 - 03:34 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...