Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR 44 500 wi fi problem

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larryah

larryah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I have one of the new hr 44 Genies and love it except for one thing.  It keeps losing the wi fi signal.  I found out if I do a rbr I can go through the set up process and get connected again.  I have a brand new Apple Extreme router and have 50 mbs cable.  I know the Hr 44 is getting a strong wi fi signal because it show a full strength signal when I set it up, an my PS3 is only a few inches away and I stream HD movies every day with no problems.  I called DTV and they are trying to tell my its my router. but if its my router why can I get it to reconnect only after a rbr?  Any one else seeing this problem?  The connection will last a couple of days and then I have to do a reset and go through the set up again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Try going into the router's advanced settings, and give the HR44 a DHCP reservation, which will make certain that the router is assigning the same address to the HR44 continuously.  When I got my HR44, I had similar issues with it not maintaining a wireless connection.  Once I assigned the HR44 a DHCP reservation, the HR44 has worked just as well as with a wired connection. 

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Run an ethernet cable.  you will be glad you did!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

I have one of the new hr 44 Genies and love it except for one thing.  It keeps losing the wi fi signal.  I found out if I do a rbr I can go through the set up process and get connected again.  I have a brand new Apple Extreme router and have 50 mbs cable.  I know the Hr 44 is getting a strong wi fi signal because it show a full strength signal when I set it up, an my PS3 is only a few inches away and I stream HD movies every day with no problems.  I called DTV and they are trying to tell my its my router. but if its my router why can I get it to reconnect only after a rbr?  Any one else seeing this problem?  The connection will last a couple of days and then I have to do a reset and go through the set up again.

I recall this being a known issue with HR44-200's that are using the internal wifi connection.  The resolution is to either connect it directly with an Ethernet cable or call D* and set up a service call, the tech will install a wired connection kit.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

I recall this being a known issue with HR44-200's 

Right on!.  but the TS has an HR44-500

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

And it's a moot point whether in fact it's "an issue" with the 44-200's....

But the main point is: Wired will be ever so much more satisfactory over the long run. (short runs, too!)  :)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

lol smart asses.  I didn't see the full model number when I read it.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

And it's a moot point whether in fact it's "an issue" with the 44-200's....

But the main point is: Wired will be ever so much more satisfactory over the long run. (short runs, too!) :)

Might be a moot point to you, but not for the hundreds of customers affected by this and the countless of techs that got affected as well, count me in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Move the PS3 more than a few inches away.

Try at least two feet.

All electronics emit RF noise and the PS3 may be spraying noise into the HR44.

And I agree with everyone's recommendation that wired is better if you can do it.

#10 OFFLINE   larryah

larryah

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

DTV tech came out today and said it is a known issue with the 44 and they will address it in the next model coming out around the first of the year.  Until then I guess Im just screwed.  And yes I know wired is always the best, but it will cost a fortune to have my house done and Im not able to do it myself.  Was hoping to avoid having to do it.  Just wondering now if I will get a free upgrade.  Thanks for the replies.

#11 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

DTV tech came out today and said it is a known issue with the 44 and they will address it in the next model coming out around the first of the year.  Until then I guess Im just screwed.  And yes I know wired is always the best, but it will cost a fortune to have my house done and Im not able to do it myself.  Was hoping to avoid having to do it.  Just wondering now if I will get a free upgrade.  Thanks for the replies.

There may well be a "known issue" with WiFi and the HR44, but, once I assigned the HR44 a constant IP via the DHCP reservation options on the router (as I suggested in a previous post), that issue was resolved for me.  I have not had a loss of connection in the 3 months or so since I assigned the HR44 a DHCP reservation.  I believe that, once the WiFi is set up in the HR44, it keeps looking to connect to the same address, and, if the router decides to hand out a different address, it doesn't recognize that address.  I suspect that, if you do a DHCP reservation for the HR44, it will work fine.  And, even if it doesn't help, since it only takes a minute or two to give it a try, there is little to be lost in trying it. 

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,021 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

Can you describe your installation in more detail,and the location of your router in relation to the install?

You mean It will cost a fortune just to run a coax able from a nearby SWiM splitter to the vicinity of your router?

And even if its impractical to run a cable that way to the area of the router and must stay with WiFi. Just forget about using the HR44's internal WiFi and get a wireless-CCK which DIRECTV should give you for free or purchase one cheap off e-bay and connect it by ethernet to the HR-44.

Then reboot the HR44 to disable it's internal WiFi and then setup the W-CCK.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

And BTW;

I wonder what "new model" this is which due out next year?

Unless this tech. is just blowing smoke with this claim ...

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

There may well be a "known issue" with WiFi and the HR44, but, once I assigned the HR44 a constant IP via the DHCP reservation options on the router (as I suggested in a previous post), that issue was resolved for me.  I have not had a loss of connection in the 3 months or so since I assigned the HR44 a DHCP reservation.  I believe that, once the WiFi is set up in the HR44, it keeps looking to connect to the same address, and, if the router decides to hand out a different address, it doesn't recognize that address.  I suspect that, if you do a DHCP reservation for the HR44, it will work fine.  And, even if it doesn't help, since it only takes a minute or two to give it a try, there is little to be lost in trying it. 

Do you have a HR44-200 by any chance?  If you do, your options are 

1. Get another HR44 that is not the -200 series

2. Run an ethernet cable

3. Run a coax cable and add a DECA BB

4. Get an HR34 with a CCK-W

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

And even if its impractical to run a cable that way to the area of the router and must stay with WiFi. Just forget about using the HR44's internal WiFi and get a wireless-CCK which DIRECTV should give you for free or purchase one cheap off e-bay and connect it by ethernet to the HR-44.

T

Don't think the HR44 will "play nice" with the HR44.  I tried it once to set up, and the HR44 was not able to "detect" the CCK-W

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

And BTW;

I wonder what "new model" this is which due out next year?

Unless this tech. is just blowing smoke with this claim ...

Yup. blowing smoke.....  :yesman:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Do you have a HR44-200 by any chance?  If you do, your options are 

1. Get another HR44 that is not the -200 series

2. Run an ethernet cable

3. Run a coax cable and add a DECA BB

4. Get an HR34 with a CCK-W

My HR44 is an HR44-700, and, with the DHCP reservation, it performs essentially the same way with WiFi as it did when I was using it with a wired CCK.  It maintains the connection uninterrupted, and speeds are sufficient to stream HD video-on-demand without interruption.  The reason why I chose to use the WiFi connection is because it allows me to eliminate one of the many pieces of equipment connected to my AV system, and I especially like eliminating the CCK because of the amount of heat that it generates. 

I certainly can't guarantee that setting the router with a DHCP reservation will work with the HR44-200 for the OP, but, again, it only takes less than a minute to set up, and, thus, little is lost in giving it a try. 

Edited by lesz, 27 October 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Don't think the HR44 will "play nice" with the HR44.  I tried it once to set up, and the HR44 was not able to "detect" the CCK-W

Yeah, I thought as much;

Which is why I was going to suggest that unless the TS has another networked HD receiver which could detect the wireless CCK when mounted inline somewhere on a satellite coax, then it would have to be temporarily connected to the router so some computer on the home network could then configure it through it's built-in web-utility. Then afterwards connected back to the HR44 .

But what I'm not sure of is will the HR44's internal CCK remain disabled if an active ethernet connection is removed from the HR44 at some point following the reboot?

If so, then the W-CCK can by placed back inline on a coax run after its configuration by a computer and not as a single ended install via ethernet cable to the back of the HR44.  

Edited by HoTat2, 27 October 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

I would just stay away from the CCK-W and HR44 combo

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

A couple small points of clarification: When you set a fixed IP on a DVR, it isn't a reservation, but an assignment. You do reserve an address on the router for devices, but doing both for a single device isn't necessary, and may be counter productive. With direcTV DVRs, assigning an IP is easy; just make sure it isn't one that's likely to be handed out by the router in the normal course of events. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...