Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR44 with a AM21

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

I just got a HR44 Yesterday and 3 C41’s clients. I have a few questions about my set up. Why did DIRECTV remove the option to scan OTA channels when the Genie is hooked to an AM21? You now only have a option of adding two zip codes. I added the same zip codes to the AM21 that is hooked to my Genie, but it different channel lineup than my AM21 that is hooked up to HR24. The HR44 is missing a few channels. I can't understand why they would remove the option of scanning for OTA channels............

Edited by firemantom26, 24 October 2013 - 11:19 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

no one really knows, but I would suspect it was due to a merging of two separate code bases (IE: perhaps the software of the HR34/44 was different than the HR2x boxes initially) or they wanted to "simplify" and only have one software interface to support as well as the fact that scanned channels wouldn't necessarily have guide data

#3 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

no one really knows, but I would suspect it was due to a merging of two separate code bases (IE: perhaps the software of the HR34/44 was different than the HR2x boxes initially) or they wanted to "simplify" and only have one software interface to support as well as the fact that scanned channels wouldn't necessarily have guide data

I would of liked to have the OTA can ability the HR44 has.....................

#4 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

I like the HR44 but not sure about the lag time when Changing channels on a C41 client box...................

#5 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

I can't tell you for sure how the AM21 works differently with the HR24 than it does with the HR44 because I've only set it up once or twice with the HR24 and only once with the HR44, but this is what I think the difference is.  With the HR24, it seemed to include all of the channels available in the market area whose zip code was set.  With the HR44, it seemed to check whether it could actually pick up a signal from those channels and included only the channels whose signals it was detecting.  I live in an area that is about equidistant from multiple markets.  The first time I ran the set up for the AM21 with the HR44, several channels were missing.  But, when I used the antenna rotator to point the antenna directly toward the market area for which I was setting it up, not only did it add the missing channels, but it also added several channels from a neighboring market area.  Thus, my HR44 now has more channels via the AM21 than does my HR24. 

#6 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

I can't tell you for sure how the AM21 works differently with the HR24 than it does with the HR44 because I've only set it up once or twice with the HR24 and only once with the HR44, but this is what I think the difference is.  With the HR24, it seemed to include all of the channels available in the market area whose zip code was set.  With the HR44, it seemed to check whether it could actually pick up a signal from those channels and included only the channels whose signals it was detecting.  I live in an area that is about equidistant from multiple markets.  The first time I ran the set up for the AM21 with the HR44, several channels were missing.  But, when I used the antenna rotator to point the antenna directly toward the market area for which I was setting it up, not only did it add the missing channels, but it also added several channels from a neighboring market area.  Thus, my HR44 now has more channels via the AM21 than does my HR24. 

That makes since because the channels I was missing was channels that I needed to turn the rotor to get. I didn't see an option to add new channels..........

#7 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

I don't think that there is an option to "add channels".  What I did was ran the set up for the primary market with the antenna pointed toward that market.  Then, before I ran the set up for the secondary market, I rotated the antenna toward that market.  Again, when I tried to run the set up for both markets without rotating the antenna toward the appropriate market, that is when I had missing channels.

#8 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 465 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

If you run the initial set up multiple times, each time using your primary zip code and then different secondary zip codes, you can add multiple markets, at least with the Genies. Example:  If you have 3 DMAs worth of channels,

Inital set-up --> home  zip ---> 2nd DMA zip.

Allow it to return to the screen where you can run initial, edit, etc.

Initial set-up (yes, again) ---> home zip ---> 3rd DMA zip.

It simply adds on the list until you re-set the unit. You can use this method to add in missing subchannels. I use west-coast zips within DMAs that are have subchannel PSIP numbers I am missing. It adds the "other" channel's guide data, but you can still tune to it. I use west coast stations so that all the "K" stations are wrong so it's easier to explain to others.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#9 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

If you run the initial set up multiple times, each time using your primary zip code and then different secondary zip codes, you can add multiple markets, at least with the Genies. Example:  If you have 3 DMAs worth of channels,

It simply adds on the list until you re-set the unit. You can use this method to add in missing subchannels. I use west-coast zips within DMAs that are have subchannel PSIP numbers I am missing. It adds the "other" channel's guide data, but you can still tune to it. I use west coast stations so that all the "K" stations are wrong so it's easier to explain to others.

Cool, I will try that when I get home

#10 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

I followed the instructions that you gave above, but I was not successful in being able to add additional channels from a third DMA even though the stations are easily within range of my antenna. 

#11 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 465 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

That is a shame. Maybe try it again after resetting the AM21 and then doing a double-reset on your unit. What receiver do you have and what is your DMA? There are posts about this working with the HR34 on here and other sites, and I do it myself. 

#12 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

That is a shame. Maybe try it again after resetting the AM21 and then doing a double-reset on your unit. What receiver do you have and what is your DMA? There are posts about this working with the HR34 on here and other sites, and I do it myself. 

I have an HR44.  My primary local market is Davenport, Iowa.  The secondary market that I have been using is Madison, Wisconsin, but I'm also easily also within antenna range of Rockford, Illinois.

I'm not sure how much effort it is worth to try to program the HR44 to receive those Rockford stations.  There might only be a time or two a year when there is a sports event that is available via the Rockford stations and that I can't get from Davenport or Madison, and, for those times, I can still get the Rockford stations via the TV's tuner.  It is just that I can't record them with the HR44. 

As an aside, I need to remind myself how far the technology has come in a short period of time.  It was only 4 or 5 years ago when I couldn't get any locals at all via DIRECTV in HD.  It was only 8 or 9 years ago when I couldn't even get locals in SD via the satellite.  About 10 years ago, there were only a handful of stations of any kind available in HD via DIRECTV.  For me, worrying about being able to add 3rd market locals to my HR44 is truly an example of a first world problem. 

#13 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 465 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Haha, that is quite true.

I will ask someone else if there's a different trick for the HR44, if not, your solution sounds more than adequate!

#14 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

If WQRF is still around and doing Uncle Don's Terror Theater, Rockford would be worth getting !!!

#15 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

I am having a similar issue here.  I live in metro Atlanta about 30 miles from downtown.  I have only been able to pick up a handful of the local sub-channels.  I added a nearby zip code (Athens GA), but it gives me the Atlanta market as well.

Anyone in metro Atlanta have similar issues or suggestions?

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#16 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

I am having a similar issue here.  I live in metro Atlanta about 30 miles from downtown.  I have only been able to pick up a handful of the local sub-channels.  I added a nearby zip code (Athens GA), but it gives me the Atlanta market as well.

Anyone in metro Atlanta have similar issues or suggestions?

The AM21 will only recognize channels in D* database. You may be able to add some channels not in the database by matching channel or RF channels and using a remote zip code. What channels are you looking to add? Maybe I can help you.

Edited by coconut13, 26 October 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

When they do the next software upgrade the should add the OTA scan again...................................................

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

When they do the next software upgrade the should add the OTA scan again...................................................

One can only hope, but I think is very unlikely…

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

I wouldn't count on it. They wouldn't have removed it just to put it back. They obviously have their reasons, whether or not we would agree if they are valid or not.

#20 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

I wouldn't count on it. They wouldn't have removed it just to put it back. They obviously have their reasons, whether or not we would agree if they are valid or not.

U are right........................

Protected By... spam firewall...And...