Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

thinking of switching to direct

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ddgwood

ddgwood

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hi,I am considering signing up with direct and have some questions,Are they installing mostly hr44 now or do i want to make sure i get that model? what is the range of the remote? I want to have the receiver in the basment and the tv is on main level,which is my current setup.and do the genie clients also have rf remotes so they can be mounted on the back of the tv? Thanks for the help. I've gotten a lot of help from this board in the past.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm not an RF expert so will let someone else handle that mostly. The C31 does have the hardware, but does not come with an RF remote.. Getting a 44 is not guaranteed when going through DirecTV for the install. Some markets may be more likely than others. I do always recommend a morning appointment if possible.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

what is the range of the remote?

That depends on which Genie and clients you get. The HR34 and C31 use the old school 418MHz band while the HR44 and C41 use the 5GHz band.

It is arguably best to have the Genie located relatively near the highest traffic TV. Shipping signals around because you can isn't sound reasoning.

If you haven't already, set up a system on the DIRECTV website and see what your monthly cost will be now and down the road because that $25 Advanced Receiver Fee can sneak up on you.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Are they installing mostly hr44 now or do i want to make sure i get that model? Not guaranteed

what is the range of the remote? It varies. there are a lot of variables that come in to play

do the genie clients also have rf remotes so they can be mounted on the back of the tv? Yes, make sure to let the DirecTV tech know that you need RF remotes

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   ddgwood

ddgwood

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

thanks for the answers,i wouldnt have thought about the am appointment being a good idea,i want to keep the tv boxs hidden that is  my reason for wanting the genie in the basement

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

Morning gives you a bit better of a chance of getting a 44, but also less chance of him getting there late due to previous jobs.

#7 OFFLINE   ddgwood

ddgwood

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

doesnt anybody have one of these ?nobody knows the range of the remote?nobody has an equipment room?

#8 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

doesnt anybody have one of these ?nobody knows the range of the remote?nobody has an equipment room?

I have one, don't use the RF remote (use Roomie Remote using IP/IR with extenders  combination), don't have an equipment room.  With IP, it doesn't matter as my IP remote works anywhere in the house. But each DVR is near the connected TV.

Edited by lflorack, 26 October 2013 - 08:36 AM.

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

#9 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

The range of the RF with the RC71 is quite good, as is the range of the RF with the older RC65RX (and other similar remotes).  I can easily control my HR44, which is on the first floor of the house, from the second floor and the other side of the house.  I can also easily control my HR24 with the RC65RX remote from a different floor and from the other side of the house. 

It can be noted, though, that there is a downside to the RC71.  The RC65RX, which will not work in RF mode with the HR44, can also be set up to control a TV and an AV receiver or sound bar, but the RC71, which can be set up to control the TV, cannot be set up to control an AV receiver or sound bar.  Thus, if you are using the RC71 and have an AV receiver or sound bar, you will need to use a separate remote to turn the AV receiver or sound bar on and off.  And, again, you will not be able to use an RC65RX (or other similar remote) in RF with the HR44. 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,523 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

The range of the RF with the RC71 is quite good, as is the range of the RF with the older RC65RX (and other similar remotes). I can easily control my HR44, which is on the first floor of the house, from the second floor and the other side of the house. I can also easily control my HR24 with the RC65RX remote from a different floor and from the other side of the house.

It can be noted, though, that there is a downside to the RC71. The RC65RX, which will not work in RF mode with the HR44, can also be set up to control a TV and an AV receiver or sound bar, but the RC71, which can be set up to control the TV, cannot be set up to control an AV receiver or sound bar. Thus, if you are using the RC71 and have an AV receiver or sound bar, you will need to use a separate remote to turn the AV receiver or sound bar on and off. And, again, you will not be able to use an RC65RX (or other similar remote) in RF with the HR44.

You can def set up the RC71 to control the volume (it wont do power) of an AVR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

That depends on which Genie and clients you get. The HR34 and C31 use the old school 418MHz band while the HR44 and C41 use the 5GHz band.

It is arguably best to have the Genie located relatively near the highest traffic TV. Shipping signals around because you can isn't sound reasoning.

If you haven't already, set up a system on the DIRECTV website and see what your monthly cost will be now and down the road because that $25 Advanced Receiver Fee can sneak up on you.

The HR44 and C41 clients use the RF4CE ("ZigBee") remote control protocol which actually operates in the 2.4 GHz band.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,523 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

A quick look shows that there is indeed a few codes for Insignia for the RC71

see attached PDF

Attached Files

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall