Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Reducing costs: How expensive is 'whole house' for 6 TV's

Packages Cost Savings Whole House

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kxaz145

kxaz145

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hi All,

I've been with DirecTV since 1999, so I've bought and installed my own equipment, then watched them be replaced with leased receivers. Costs have increased as well and a few months ago I dropped down to the lowest package to save $$, only to see the individual fees increase again. With 6 TV's and the primary one free, I'm paying $30 a month plus tax for the TV's. That's put me over $110 per month again.

Can anyone tell me what the comparable cost's would be with a 'whole house' setup on Ethernet or Wireless. I understand I might have to purchase additional equipment. I already have a Roku HD box and won an Apple TV box a few weeks ago. I'm about ready to cut the signal if I can't reduce my costs.

Thanks,

JimB

JimBo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Ethernet, wireless, or coax has no impact on the costs.

If you have 6 TVs active on your DirecTV account, whether they be full fledged receivers or Genie clients, and whether they are connected via a coax wire or ethernet wire or wirelessly, you will have to pay the mirror fee on each of them, minus the first one of course.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

If you're considering a Genie, don't get your hopes up about a DIY install.

Adding services always costs more so that's not going to help reduce costs. There will be an additional monthly fee of $3-5 for Whole Home service.

Since you've already bottomed out on the programming package, the next step is to reduce the number of boxes. If you don't require six independent views, it may be possible to share a box between TVs.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

You haven't mentioned if you are already incurring the HD and DVR receiver fees. If not, they are an add to the whole home 3 dollar fee. Talk to customer retention after arming yourself with what a new agreement for a comparable service with a competitor would run. Even research what a new DirectTV subscriber might need to pay for a comparable landscape. Now Retention will not likely put a permanent cost reduction in place but will more than likely give you months (perhaps even a year or two) of discounting.

It is unfortunate that to attract new business the service providers put out near if not actual "loss leader" packages. Because of that though part of a long time subscriber's costs is the rates that make up that delta. It has reached a point where one may be better off just taking the new subscriber goodies and then cancel when they run out and try the next provider's new account bundles. Many out there do just this and it is a part of why these providers have such high "churn" rates which loyal customers unfortunately have to subsidize with their fee structures.

You won't know what you can get till you ask,

Don "you are not alone in your situation" Bolton 

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#5 OFFLINE   kxaz145

kxaz145

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

You haven't mentioned if you are already incurring the HD and DVR receiver fees. If not, they are an add to the whole home 3 dollar fee. Talk to customer retention after arming yourself with what a new agreement for a comparable service with a competitor would run. Even research what a new DirectTV subscriber might need to pay for a comparable landscape. Now Retention will not likely put a permanent cost reduction in place but will more than likely give you months (perhaps even a year or two) of discounting.

It is unfortunate that to attract new business the service providers put out near if not actual "loss leader" packages. Because of that though part of a long time subscriber's costs is the rates that make up that delta. It has reached a point where one may be better off just taking the new subscriber goodies and then cancel when they run out and try the next provider's new account bundles. Many out there do just this and it is a part of why these providers have such high "churn" rates which loyal customers unfortunately have to subsidize with their fee structures.

You won't know what you can get till you ask,

Don "you are not alone in your situation" Bolton 

Three thoughtful replies, thanks guys. Yes, I do have a HD DVR and I have dealt with retention in the past. My monthly bill was reduced for a year and when I called back they said it wasn't designed to be permanent and agreed to continue the reduction for 3 more months. When that expired I dropped down to the lowerst package. I'll do some research and call retention again, or see where I am in the 2 year requirement. I only watch a handful of the available channels and the cost is hard to justify. I'm ready to buy a Tivo and go with locals and the web.

Thanks, JimB

JimBo

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

reducing costs and wanting 6 tv's is what is hurting you the most....they dont really go together.  You could reduce your total receiver count by a couple if you are willing to only be able to watch the same channel at the same time in a few of those 6 rooms.  if you need independent viewing in all 6 rooms, then your extra equipment fees cant be reduced because you would need 6 boxes, one for each tv.

#7 OFFLINE   kxaz145

kxaz145

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

reducing costs and wanting 6 tv's is what is hurting you the most....they dont really go together.  You could reduce your total receiver count by a couple if you are willing to only be able to watch the same channel at the same time in a few of those 6 rooms.  if you need independent viewing in all 6 rooms, then your extra equipment fees cant be reduced because you would need 6 boxes, one for each tv.

You're right and at least 3 of them are superfluous and only used when kids, grandkids visit. That's $18 + tax per month. Let's see if this will make Momma unhappy, we all know what that means....

JimBo

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

You're right and at least 3 of them are superfluous and only used when kids, grandkids visit. That's $18 + tax per month. Let's see if this will make Momma unhappy, we all know what that means....

You can put the unused HRs in "vacation" status and just reactivate them when folks visit.  

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,543 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

You can put the unused HRs in "vacation" status and just reactivate them when folks visit.  

Rich

That's what I did.  Both my boys went off to college, so I deactivated their receivers.  I have a Genie client that I move around to the various TVs as needed.  If one of the boys comes home for the summer, I will reactivate a receiver for that time period.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

I seem to be seeing more and more of this type of question, It makes me wonder if subscription fees are approaching the tipping point where subscribers just drop the service and not move on to a different service.

Going instead to OTA and Netflix for example.

TBoneit

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Rich

Is this even possible to place just some leased receivers on "vacation"?  I was under the impression that it had to be the entire account…

• Rich likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,543 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

I seem to be seeing more and more of this type of question, It makes me wonder if subscription fees are approaching the tipping point where subscribers just drop the service and not move on to a different service.

TBoneit

I would if we could get good internet.  We have 1.5 MB available only.  Totally sucks.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,525 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

Is this even possible to place just some leased receivers on "vacation"?  I was under the impression that it had to be the entire account…

Yeah, I think they are doing this with owned boxes. That's all that Rich has. It's always been one of the benefits of owned vs leased.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

TBoneit

Evolution at work.  I foresee having ten HRs sitting in my back room collecting dust.  I gotta sell them.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

I've got a couple owned 20-700s on vacation right now.  I've never tried to reactivate one, but I was assured that it was possible. Do I believe that?  Kinda, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was fed another story by a CSR.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

I would if we could get good internet.  We have 1.5 MB available only.  Totally sucks.

Huh.  And I've been thinking about buying a place in Moses Lake.  (Not in the lake, that's the name of the rather strange town).  Is that all you can get in Spokane?

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

If they have to be "owned" receivers, then what's the difference between putting them on "vacation" and simply deactivating them? I suspect the CSRs are just playing word games and they are just deactivated. Do they still show up on your bill as "on hold"?

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, I think they are doing this with owned boxes. That's all that Rich has. It's always been one of the benefits of owned vs leased.

I do have two leased 24-100s.  I'm still stunned by how well they work.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

If they have to be "owned" receivers, then what's the difference between putting them on "vacation" and simply deactivating them? I suspect the CSRs are just playing word games and they are just deactivated. Do they still show up on your bill as "on hold"?

The way it was explained to me was that I wouldn't have to buy a new access card if I put them on vacation.  If I deactivate them I do have to buy a new card.  Again, I've never activated one, so I can't say for sure if this is all true.  It sounds like Mom has done it, tho.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

They don't show up on my bill at all.  Your suspicions might be correct.  

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...