Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 44 in MDU installation for 13 apartments ?

MDU HR44

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sengvin

sengvin

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hi guys

I'm frankly new to this but I just got apartment building that has 312 apartments and I'm going to do DTH on it. So every 13 apartments will have one satellite so , I'm asuming that for every 13 apartments there will be 6-8 conections (customers).

I was wondering what would be the chepest solution to have 5 tuner HR44 let's say for 6 apartments?

I was thinking 3x swm 16 ? I know I will be lossing 3 tuners on apartment but...

Please help thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-31191-136593676477.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,362 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

you need to provide more information.  But one thing I can tell now is that you don't want to cascade the SWM switches as you have pictured.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   sengvin

sengvin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

Ok so u think it would be too much of a loss ? A mean The lowest floor is like 70F from the dish the top flor is like 15F from the dish and the apartments are from 15-60F from the switch.

Edited by sengvin, 24 October 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

The legacy ports on a SWM16 are apparently quite lossy. You would want to split the signals with a high frequency power passing splitter. The drawing you included is very old since it includes the 72.5* dish that hasn't been used in several years.

May I ask why you're using one dish per 13 apartments, instead of using a single dish and distributing the signal to all of them? It sounds like your roof would be covered with dishes! My first thought would be that maybe that's because you have multiple buildings and each one has 13 units, but you say the bottom floor is 70 ft from the dish, and units are up to 60 feet from the switch, so it sounds like it is certainly more than 13 units per building unless they are all penthouses.

There are products made to accomplish what you're trying to do. It seems like it would be a very good idea to hire someone with experience in this. If you really want to do it yourself, visit http://sonoradesign.com and plan on spending many hours reading the PDFs associated with each product they offer so you know what is out there and why they sell it.

They have products designed for exactly your sort of situation, and their product PDFs show examples of a dish on the roof of a high rise apartment building being amplified (and reamplified as necessary) with signal being tapped off at each floor serving chassis holding SWM8s or SWM16s that serve individual units. This stuff isn't exactly rocket science, but you'll need to learn a lot if you want to put together something yourself and expect it to work well.

Its certainly possible to have individual dishes serving small numbers of people to avoid buying that specialized equipment, but it seems like it would be a lot harder to maintain if there were problems and someone has to trace back what apartment is connected to what equipment, and what equipment is connected to what dish. Then going on the roof and hoping to figure out which dish is which (I guess you could paint "3rd floor SW" or something on them to keep them all straight ;)) Whichever way you choose if you do it yourself I hope you document it really well in case something breaks down while you're on vacation and someone else has to be called in to fix it!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:37 AM

Ok so u think it would be too much of a loss ? A mean The lowest floor is like 70F from the dish the top flor is like 15F from the dish and the apartments are from 15-60F from the switch.

The SWiM-16 legacy ports are a good 10 dB below the input levels.

Cascading isn't supported because the #2 -16 will have problems [been there tried it] and #3 will never work.

To cascade you need to use an amp like:

http://www.solidsign...fier-(la144r-t)

This does work on a system with a second -16 cascaded, and "should work" using another for the 3rd -16.

This should be worth reading:

http://forums.solids...ers-in-the-home

"I'd imagine" going with one amp and 4-way splitters would be cheaper and give the same performance.

A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

I was wondering what would be the chepest solution to have 5 tuner HR44 let's say for 6 apartments?

How large are these apartments? Several floors with 13 units sounds like an unusual configuration.

What service(s) will the other 5-7 tenants subscribe to?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

You're not far off. You will have to allocate 8 tuners to every apartment for two reasons: First of all if you use a Genie in each apartment, rebooting the Genie will make it try to take 5 tuners, leaving the other apartment on the same SWM leg with 3 which is an unstable situation. Second of all "because DIRECTV says so." 

In a situation like that you would have a master closet with SWM16s or SWM32s. You would need 7 SWM16s or 4 SWM32s, or a mixture of the two (such as 3 SWM32s and one SWM8 to serve exactly 13 units.) The SWM32s are more expensive but they put out a stronger signal which can be important if you're talking about runs over 200' from the SWMs.

There are a lot more pieces than what you've shown, amplifiers and such, plus the correct power supplies, grounding, band stop filters etc. A DIRECTV Certified commercial dealer can help put all this together for you and if you do it to D2 Advantage standards there may even be a way to get DIRECTV to pay for some or all of the infrastructure.

I know veryoldschool pointed out some resources on an external site, I believe they are a DIRECTV Commercial dealer, or you can use one in your area. Going to a residential dealer or trying to do it yourself with no previous experience in commercial installs can be very daunting and cause problems later. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   sengvin

sengvin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Ok I hope this helps answer all the questions.

oWeh1ba.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   sengvin

sengvin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'm mdu dealer my self but this is my first building I'm sure i can put it together :-)  I'm just very small guy in the industry and don't have that much cash I need time to grove :-) so this is probably the best solution for me but it is too expensive how do i get DirecTv to pay for this?

VcDpGYj.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   sengvin

sengvin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

So what I think I'm going to do is adding them as they will be moving in . Can i go straight to 1(one ) swm 32 from dish and have 4x 8chanells ? or do I need amplifier ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MDU, HR44

Protected By... spam firewall...And...