Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lets start a petition to cancel the holidays

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,858 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

I have a shocking proposition... lets start a petition to cancel all of the holidays! After all, it seems that the holidays consist of the following:
  • Memorial Day - Kickoff of the summer BBQ season!
  • Fourth of July - Glorified day off where we blow stuff up and get really drunk.
  • Labor Day - The end of the summer blowout!
  • Thanksgiving - The day to get stuffed, watch football all day, and prepare for Black Friday, the traditional kickoff of the holiday shopping season! Prepare for the brotherly shove
  • Christmas - The day that families try to get along with each other, receive gifts that receive their minutes of fame, and most get forgotten after several months.
It gets to be crazy when you see the Christmas displays start going up earlier and earlier each year. While I can understand for the craft stores, most stores should not even be putting up the Christmas displays until November at the earliest. What was the purpose behind the holidays anyways?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

I don't think we allow petitions at DBSTalk.  :lol:

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

You're welcome to not participate in them and not support them with your money.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

My brother in law did get a bit upset with me when he told his wife that it was Memorial Day, and that she should honor him, and my reply was that it wasn't his day. It does seem some of the original intent of various holidays has gotten lost in the commercialization. Not that there's no room for leisure fun and recreation. I believe it really affected the founder of Mother's Day as well.

BTW Black Friday starts on Thursday now.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,858 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

You're welcome to not participate in them and not support them with your money.

They will just be workdays for me under a new graveyard shift that starts in early November.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

As the years go by, the holidays are more and more for me becoming a time to get together with friends and family and overeat.

Not really seeing much of a downside to that . . . 

:righton:

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,729 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

My brother in law did get a bit upset with me when he told his wife that it was Memorial Day, and that she should honor him, and my reply was that it wasn't his day.

The accurate reply would be "over your dead body". My father got a flag draped coffin, USAF pall bearers, a bugle player and three volleys ... and now every year someone from an organization puts a flag on his grave ... but he had to die for that honor. Before he died he could get public honors (more than the usual) on Veterans Day. Now he gets both.

As far as the holidays in question ... focus on the true meaning of each and celebrate each as you wish. Or not. I might buy something on Black Friday ... probably not. But I will enjoy the real holidays without too much diversion into the "buy crap" overlays that have sullied them.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

I think what actually annoys me most, other than Christmas creep, are the furniture stores with dancing George and Abe's. Fortunately I have a DVR :)

• tsmacro likes this

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

You need at least 100,00 "signatures" in order for this to be considered... !rolling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,112 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

As far as the holidays in question ... focus on the true meaning of each and celebrate each as you wish. Or not. I might buy something on Black Friday ... probably not. But I will enjoy the real holidays without too much diversion into the "buy crap" overlays that have sullied them.

+1000 (except I will not buy anything on Black Friday) Christmas is the one that really gets to me, if you are Christian great, celebrate the birth of Christ.  If you are not then celebrate the joy that friends and family bring to you.  However the commercialization of the holiday makes me sick.  Christmas is not about buying crap.  Retailers whine about how 30 - 40 - 50% of their sales are over the Christmas period, well if no gifts were given the recipients would just buy the stuff over the year.  All that would die is the crap that "makes a great gift", in other words no one would buy it for themselves.

• Rich likes this
My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

That will truly fix everything

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

I have nothing against holidays. They truly deserve our respect. It is what corporate greed has done to 'em, that I don't like.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

I have nothing against holidays. They truly deserve our respect. It is what corporate greed has done to 'em, that I don't like.

Same with me. Stores in our area began displaying Christmas merchandise the first week of October!  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

I'd prefer abolishing Columbus Day. I don't know why a fraud and murderer gets a holiday.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

I do Christmas and New Years on sort of a modified Leap Year schedule.  Most years, I don't do anything at all, but about every fourth or fifth year, I get some kind of a bug to do something.  A few shots of Egg Nog and the overpowering aroma therapy of pine usually kills that bug after a few days.

I tend to stay out of the stores for most of December because of the music as much as anything.

Halloween is almost as bad, but at least you can have some fun with it.

I really don't pay any attention to the rest of them at all.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

I have a shocking proposition... lets start a petition to cancel all of the holidays! After all, it seems that the holidays consist of the following:

• Memorial Day - Kickoff of the summer BBQ season!
  • Fourth of July - Glorified day off where we blow stuff up and get really drunk.
  • Labor Day - The end of the summer blowout!
  • Thanksgiving - The day to get stuffed, watch football all day, and prepare for Black Friday, the traditional kickoff of the holiday shopping season! Prepare for the brotherly shove
  • Christmas - The day that families try to get along with each other, receive gifts that receive their minutes of fame, and most get forgotten after several months.
It gets to be crazy when you see the Christmas displays start going up earlier and earlier each year. While I can understand for the craft stores, most stores should not even be putting up the Christmas displays until November at the earliest. What was the purpose behind the holidays anyways?

You make some good points.  We used to have huge family gatherings, but my wife and her sisters seemed to always find something to fight about.  Throw in my miserable mother-in-law and holidays were really a drag.   

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

As the years go by, the holidays are more and more for me becoming a time to get together with friends and family and overeat.

Not really seeing much of a downside to that . . . 

:righton:

Boy oh boy, you should have seen some of the fights.  Well, really arguments, but we left early a couple times and once I leave a person's home because of arguments or just not feeling welcome, I rarely go back.  Haven't really had much luck with in-laws during the course of my 3 marriages.  Best argument I saw was at Thanksgiving in MD a few years ago when my wife told her sister that she was sure her husband was having an affair.  Turned out that my wife was right on the mark and they (my wife and her sister) don't talk to each other very much anymore.  

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

I do Christmas and New Years on sort of a modified Leap Year schedule.  Most years, I don't do anything at all, but about every fourth or fifth year, I get some kind of a bug to do something.  A few shots of Egg Nog and the overpowering aroma therapy of pine usually kills that bug after a few days.

I tend to stay out of the stores for most of December because of the music as much as anything.

Halloween is almost as bad, but at least you can have some fun with it.

I really don't pay any attention to the rest of them at all.

You would not believe what the malls in NJ are like at Xmas.  

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,274 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

They will just be workdays for me under a new graveyard shift that starts in early November.

Mark, just because you have (volunteered) to work holidays, don't spoil the fun and misery for the rest of us.

For you and your fellow scrooges, there is always "Festivus". ;)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#20 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Try this: Just pick a Holiday that means something to you and make a decision to do something you think honors the Holiday on that day.

A few suggestions:

- Volunteer to help place flags at the markers of Veterans on Memorial Day.

- Volunteer at your church or other local community centers to help provide or serve a Thanksgiving Day meal to the needy.

- Talk your family into stopping the "Gift Exchange" and adopt a needy family for Christmas instead.

It may seem like they are abandoned and meaningless now, but they are not. There are still countless heroes out there working every day to keep them alive. And they will usually never turn down and offer to help.

• sigma1914 and dpeters11 like this
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

Protected By... spam firewall...And...