Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So if PTAT starts at 5:28pm why . . . .

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

. . . can't I get recordings then? AND if it doesn't go off until, I've seen it still running at 11am and can randomly join channels, use it as a recording source? That ties up a whole tuner while it's running and I can't use it to record. If only!!!? I have noticed that PTAT starts everyday at 5:28pm, but only captures recordings from 7pm and stops randomly whenever. And have noticed that if a timer is on the tail end of the night that it will come off that tuner and then as soon as it's done, the tuner reverts. Hmmmm, curious.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:51 AM

You can use the PTAT tuner 24/7 to record one of your local network affiliates (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC in most areas).

The "on" and "off" times are based around prime time programming. "On" is earlier if a prime time show starts early for some reason (usually sports). "Off" can be later if a prime time show is scheduled to run over (sports or award shows). But if you set a timer for a show on a PTAT channel during PTAT hours it will record.

Outside PTAT hours you can record one or all of your local network affiliates with separate recordings on the same tuner. Your other two tuners can be used for other recordings or live programs.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:26 AM

The first part I understand what you are saying and how this is "suppose" to work. But it's not doing that . . . exactly. Tuner 3 goes into PTAT at 5:28pm MDT, PT recordings don't start until 7pm, and has stayed in PTAT until the next day. So up front for an hour and a half PTAT is running on tuner 3 and if any timer is set for one of those channels it goes to the other tuners first eventhough the one tuner is saying it's in PTAT recording mode. But no recordings are rendered until after 7pm. After, every so often it'll still be recording on the PTAT tuner after PTAT is suppose to be over. Then there are times that the second PT is over the tuner goes single channel and is available. It''s been totally haphazard. I have been trying to attach a logical reason such as you state if a PTAT recording starts early or ends late. That isn't applying.

Did I find a bug/idiosyncrasy?

The last part . . .

Outside PTAT hours you can record one or all of your local network affiliates with separate recordings on the same tuner. Your other two tuners can be used for other recordings or live programs.

How do you do this? Is that why it shows the Big 4 on tuner 3 past PTAT hours? But not all the time.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

If you tune to any of the big 4, that tuner will actually show all of the Big 4 in the Viewing Status page.  So whether you tune to one to watch live OR set a timer, 24/7 it will use that single tuner for all of the Big 4.

Now... it is possible for you to set timers and custom start/end times and those I believe will NOT use the same tuner during PTAT when that automatic recording is happening.  IF you are planning on keeping recordings and do not like the default padding that will result out of "saving" from PTAT...  your custom timers would do that BUT they would use another tuner to do that.

Perhaps this is what is happening in your case?  Do you have timers set to record some of the Big 4 during PTAT that have different start/end times?  IF so, then you essentially are recording the program twice... on different tuners.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

My PTAT has been acting wonky.

For instance yesterday it only recorded ABC.  I checked the settings and it is supposed to record all 4 majors 7 days a week from 7-10pm.

Yesterday no CBS, no NBC and NO FOX, so with the other two tuners occupied we could not tune the world series except on the OTA tuner because the only thing being recorded on the PTAT tuner was ABC.

I did a power cord reboot of it this afternoon, we'll see if it does what it's supposed to tonight.

Not to mention that it is only recording the SD channels on PTAT - something to do with our HD locals being on 61.5 and everything else is on WA, but Dish engineers are supposedly working on that.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

The first part I understand what you are saying and how this is "suppose" to work. But it's not doing that . . . exactly. Tuner 3 goes into PTAT at 5:28pm MDT, PT recordings don't start until 7pm, and has stayed in PTAT until the next day.

I had PTAT from 7:27pm ET to 11:01pm ET Wednesday and yesterday (Thursday), 7:57pm to 11:01pm Monday, Tuesday and tonight. The early start was for the world series on Fox. That matches your mountain time start of PTAT at 5:28pm the last couple of nights. I'm not sure what would have extended it in to the next day.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

If you tune to any of the big 4, that tuner will actually show all of the Big 4 in the Viewing Status page.  So whether you tune to one to watch live OR set a timer, 24/7 it will use that single tuner for all of the Big 4.

Now... it is possible for you to set timers and custom start/end times and those I believe will NOT use the same tuner during PTAT when that automatic recording is happening.  IF you are planning on keeping recordings and do not like the default padding that will result out of "saving" from PTAT...  your custom timers would do that BUT they would use another tuner to do that.

Perhaps this is what is happening in your case?  Do you have timers set to record some of the Big 4 during PTAT that have different start/end times?  IF so, then you essentially are recording the program twice... on different tuners.

What you re saying makes sense, in some of what I am seeing. But as people are starting to state, the timelines are kinda wonky. Last night the network news recorded off the B4 tuner and left the other three tuners alone. I have OTA. That was nice, but not consistent. And as others are seeing, there have been times that not all B4's are running when they should be. I have had just one of the networks in the list during PTAT many times.

And now the new thing, right in the middle of my viewing time, after the past few morning updates, HDCP kicks in on anything live or recorded on USA, SyFy, Bravo, and other, I guess, NBC stations. A red button reboot takes care of it. I wonder if I were to leave it, if it would take care of itself? But since let it update so I can continue to watch, I won't know until I leave it for a while.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Some of what you're describing there does sound like bugs...  not bugs I've heard a lot about... but bugs indeed...  maybe these are hopefully things that Dish knows about and is working on improving.  I know my 922 has had times when it would suddenly be "unauthorized" to view certain channels and I would have to reset it to get it working again...  IF something like that happened with a Hopper, it might affect the PTAT function in an unpredictable way.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'm good at bugs finding me. And I mean all kinds of bugs, code and carbon.

I wanted to field this here before I investigate further. Thank you all for contributing.

#10 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

We just started using PTAT about a month ago after almost a year with Hoppers.  We had a bug on one show, Castle, a couple weeks ago where it had all the info for Castle and the icon, but when we went to watch it it was Dancing with the Stars.  Luckily we had the same recording on our other Hopper, which recorded properly and we watched it that way, but no AutoHop.  Definitely seems to be a few bugs with PTAT, but overall we are liking so far.

#11 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

PTAT only recorded ABC again Sunday night.

Saturday it only recorded college football on ABC fro 1 hour 11 minutes and 48 Hours on CBS.

I'm doing another power cord reboot and see if tonight it records all 4, if not It's call Dish time!

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

PTAT only recorded ABC again Sunday night.

What market are you in?

#13 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

It does sound like a timer is being set at 530 on a big 4 network and that is why you think PTAT is starting early. Most likely it is recording that 1 program and then you see the other 3 networks listed in the TV activity page.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...