Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cannot activate GenieGo on Microsoft Surface

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hi,

Apologies if this has been talked about already. A search did not result in any answer. I am trying to install GenieGo on my Microsoft Surface Pro but without success. When I try to activate the software on my device. I get the error below:

"No network connection detected. Please connect to your home network and try again."

I am connected to my network (I am typing this thread from my Microsoft device), I am also on the same network as my laptop and GenieGo as GenieGo works perfectly on my laptop.

When I look in System Info I see that connectivity Test 6 is failing.

Any pointer on how to resolve this?

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by Alexandrepsf, 25 October 2013 - 02:15 PM.

DirecTV since 2002
HR34-100
HR22-104
HR23-100
Deca BB
Samsung SmarTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,531 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

Welcome to the bleeding edge!  Since the Surface that emulates a PC is so new, I'd venture that you're a first.  I doubt there's a workaround until an update.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Is this a Surface or Surface Pro (this is a VERY important distinction)?

The Surface does NOT emulate a desktop or laptop computer or even a conventional Windows tablet. It requires software written to Windows RT that, as I understand it, is uniquely available through the WindowsStore. I don't think there is a GenieGo app for WindowsRT.

The Surface Pro, on the other hand, runs the computer version of Windows 8 and may be able to run the conventional Windows GenieGo application.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Missed to mention. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro, that is why I was expecting the device to connect as easy as my laptop did.

DirecTV since 2002
HR34-100
HR22-104
HR23-100
Deca BB
Samsung SmarTV

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

I kinda figured you were using a Surface Pro (even though your OP clearly stated otherwise).

The few problems I have read about were solved by downloading and installing a fresh copy of the software. The DIRECTV forums have a handful of posts about problems with the Surface Pro.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

Good point. I changed OP, but cannot edit the title unfortunately.

I followed DirecTV forum's recommendation on uninstall and re-install the software with no luck. As users on this forum are usually more techy i was hoping that someone in DBS had an alternative recommendation.

Do you know what the failing test 6 is about?

Also, did anyone hear any success story with regards of Surface Pro and GenieGo?

Cheers

DirecTV since 2002
HR34-100
HR22-104
HR23-100
Deca BB
Samsung SmarTV

#7 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

I have (had) a Surface Pro and was using GenieGO successfully for a very, very long time.  This weekend I upgraded to the Surface Pro 2 and am also able to run the GenieGO client.

Based on your original post, it seems you are doing an initial install and, for me, that worked fine, but for some shows it wasn't preparing.  Recently, however, I ran into some issues where it would no longer play my content--even after uninstalling and re-installing.  I even called DirecTV to report the issue after so many uninstalls and re-installs.

Finally, I ended up trying my Uninstaller utility, Revo Uninstaller Pro, which to do a more thorough uninstall and that is what solved my problem.  So I'm not sure if you already had GenieGO installed, but if so,  you might want to try to uninstall using Revo or similar product to do a complete uninstall.  But if this is a new install from scratch, sorry, I do not have any ideas because it installed and ran on my Surface Pro when I had it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...