Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Source for pre-cut/connector ready RG11?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:26 AM

Can anyone recommend a reputable online place that sells pre-cut RG-11 burial grade cable, preferably with the option to add connectors prior to shipment?  I need to replace a long cable run of ~280 feet that is currently RG-11.  Nowhere around me carries it unless you buy 1000ft, and none of my tools are RG-11 compatible.  I hate to buy that much cable, connectors, and new tools for one cable run.  

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

SolidSignal

http://www.solidsign...(1523ap-pvfc11)

For the length you need though its going to be quite $$$$

If you didn't need the connectors pre-installed (but still included) prior to shipping it would be much cheaper

http://www.solidsign...(1523ACPVFC11L)

I am not sure if the above coax is considered direct burial grade though.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,063 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

LOL, you aren't kidding! I priced out 300' on the links and see that to buy the raw cut cable it is $229.99, to buy 300' with the connectors installed it is $1669.99!  :eek2: I guess they use solid gold connectors or something...

Certainly I can understand charging for the service of installing the connectors, but I would think that is pretty much a fixed cost since it isn't any more difficult to install connectors on a cable regardless of length. So I'm not quite sure if they just have a bizarre pricing strategy or it is a pricing mistake.

Anyway, I would think that if you need 300', unless you can find someone willing to make the cable for a much more reasonable price, you'll probably be better off buying a cheap RG11 compression tool, small bag of connectors and the cable and make your own. If you buy a 1000' spool you could sell the remaining 700' on Ebay. Or check Ebay for someone who has 300' left over after they bought a 1000' spool when they only needed 700 :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

The higher priced cable is plenum rated cable (burning characteristics are such it can be put in air handling spaces in commercial buildings) however the price is crazy!  I use plenum rated Cat6 all the time and it is double the price at the most.

My Setup

#5 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Here is a pre-terminated 300' direct burial cable for a reasonable price:  http://www.broadband...0ftco59dib.html

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

SolidSignal

http://www.solidsign...(1523ap-pvfc11)

If you didn't need the connectors pre-installed (but still included) prior to shipping it would be much cheaper

http://www.solidsign...(1523ACPVFC11L)

I am not sure if the above coax is considered direct burial grade though.

Hi,

that link is for plenum-rated burial-grade RG11, which is a pretty pricy item. A cable that is rated for fire resistance in an office building and is burial rated is a pretty rare thing, and the cable itself is expensive.

We would be happy to help you with custom sizes if you call us.

#7 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,063 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Here is a pre-terminated 300' direct burial cable for a reasonable price:  http://www.broadband...0ftco59dib.html

Not that it matters, but that looks like CCS cable. A bit of googling shows it is really hard to find SCC RG11 burial cable.

I say it doesn't matter, since as he needs only one cable it must be for SWM, and a 29v PI would easily cover the voltage loss through only 300 feet, but some people like to over-spec so he may be looking for SCC RG11 even though he doesn't need it.

A bit of googling shows RG11 CCS resistance is 11 ohms per 1000 ft, and while I'm not sure how much power a SWM LNB requires, the 21v power supply it comes with outputs 25.2 watts, so it is obviously less than that. I'll overestimate the power draw at 29 watts to give a nice round 1 amp at 29 volts, then we get:

voltage drop = (resistance per 1000 ft * draw in amps * length of run in feet) / 1000 ft

= (11  * 1 * 300) / 1000

= 3.3 volts

Given that 300 feet of solid copper RG6 has even lower resistance, I assume the run used RG11 to cover the signal loss? Given how much RG11 costs and the need to buy it with connectors installed which will increase the cost, maybe adding a SWM amp and using SCC RG6 would be more cost effective? It would also make for easier maintenance if for example something happened to the connectors and they needed to be replaced, or some accident cut the cable and it could be fixed with new connectors and a coupler rather than having the whole thing replaced.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Not that it matters, but that looks like CCS cable. A bit of googling shows it is really hard to find SCC RG11 burial cable.

I say it doesn't matter, since as he needs only one cable it must be for SWM, and a 29v PI would easily cover the voltage loss through only 300 feet, but some people like to over-spec so he may be looking for SCC RG11 even though he doesn't need it.

A bit of googling shows RG11 CCS resistance is 11 ohms per 1000 ft, and while I'm not sure how much power a SWM LNB requires, the 21v power supply it comes with outputs 25.2 watts, so it is obviously less than that. I'll overestimate the power draw at 29 watts to give a nice round 1 amp at 29 volts, then we get:

voltage drop = (resistance per 1000 ft * draw in amps * length of run in feet) / 1000 ft

= (11  * 1 * 300) / 1000

= 3.3 volts

Given that 300 feet of solid copper RG6 has even lower resistance, I assume the run used RG11 to cover the signal loss? Given how much RG11 costs and the need to buy it with connectors installed which will increase the cost, maybe adding a SWM amp and using SCC RG6 would be more cost effective? It would also make for easier maintenance if for example something happened to the connectors and they needed to be replaced, or some accident cut the cable and it could be fixed with new connectors and a coupler rather than having the whole thing replaced.

We have many hotel installs with RG11 at those distances and greater to confirm you are correct. Hell some of these cables are probably +15 years even.

spam firewall