Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast bundle ties HBO, local TV and internet together for just $40 per month, at first

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

Comcast bundle ties HBO, local TV and internet together for just $40 per month, at first

If your ideal TV setup is HBO Go by itself, one option for a setup close to that is being offered by a seemingly unlikely source: Comcast. 

It's still tethered to services pushed by the company's usual partners, and could achieve their goals of getting elusive cord-cutters and cord-nevers to get a taste of the TV life.

comcast-internet-plus.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

What a great deal, to bad they don't have phone also in this package.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Though according to DSL Reports, the price not only goes up after the first 12 months, it goes up again 6 months later, to $80. So after a year and a half, the price doubles.

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Though according to DSL Reports, the price not only goes up after the first 12 months, it goes up again 6 months later, to $80. So after a year and a half, the price doubles.

Thanks for the info here is the link http://www.dslreport...-Netflix-126362

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

I had great hopes for this ontil I gave it some thought. Local retrans fees and HBO retrans fees must be $20+ a month. That only leaves a small amount to cover costs for operations, maintenance, and overhead. Since it includes ISP the $80 is competitive, but add in a DVR and it becomes a "what's the point again?" offer. Sooner or later almost everything becomes available online. Hence the appeal of cord cutting, though in truth you'll still need to be connected unless you can receive and are satisfied with OTA.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

Considering I pay$70 per month for just Internet, I'd say it's a good deal even at $80

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   grunes

grunes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCollege Park, Maryland

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Our COMCAST affiliate loves to get you to bite on cheap intro packages, then raises the price. 

Like we were told 2 or 3 years we could move from analog $40/month TV service, to digital $40/month TV service, with "free" DVR boxes and remotes. Now they charge over $166/month for same. That includes rental fees for those boxes (including one we don't have, but which they refuse to drop from charged-for service - which is true of some of our neighbors too) and remotes, extra service fees for the preferred channel lineup that they won't let us drop if we want the DVR service. And our Internet service went from $20 (I think) to $50/month.

Also note that if you work really hard at it, COMCAST affiliates will bargain on price and available features, if you say you plan to switch to someone else's service. Sometimes they will bargain immediately. Sometimes they call you back the next day or so. You may well get a 50% discount, or return to introductory rates - but it is always temporary. A few months later the discount quietly goes away.

NOTE: These may only apply to our local COMCAST affiliate. I'm not sure how much of it relates to the COMCAST business as a whole. And to be fair, on everything but cost and honesty about cost, COMCAST offers pretty good service.

Finally, the phone bundles may not be worth the extra cost. You can get phone-over-Internet from MagicJack or Skype far cheaper, and you can use MagicJack almost like a portable cell phone if you are in a WiFi area. (Skype is cheaper - in fact it is free for Skype-to-Skype device calls, but if you add getting your own "Skype number", so people can call you from normal phones, I think it is more expensive. Plus, I've had some Skype call quality issues. I've not tried MagicJack.)

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

Our COMCAST affiliate loves to get you to bite on cheap intro packages, then raises the price. 

Like we were told 2 or 3 years we could move from analog $40/month TV service, to digital $40/month TV service, with "free" DVR boxes and remotes. Now they charge over $166/month for same. That includes rental fees for those boxes (including one we don't have, but which they refuse to drop from charged-for service - which is true of some of our neighbors too) and remotes, extra service fees for the preferred channel lineup that they won't let us drop if we want the DVR service. And our Internet service went from $20 (I think) to $50/month.

Also note that if you work really hard at it, COMCAST affiliates will bargain on price and available features, if you say you plan to switch to someone else's service. Sometimes they will bargain immediately. Sometimes they call you back the next day or so. You may well get a 50% discount, or return to introductory rates - but it is always temporary. A few months later the discount quietly goes away.

NOTE: These may only apply to our local COMCAST affiliate. I'm not sure how much of it relates to the COMCAST business as a whole. And to be fair, on everything but cost and honesty about cost, COMCAST offers pretty good service.

Finally, the phone bundles may not be worth the extra cost. You can get phone-over-Internet from MagicJack or Skype far cheaper, and you can use MagicJack almost like a portable cell phone if you are in a WiFi area. (Skype is cheaper - in fact it is free for Skype-to-Skype device calls, but if you add getting your own "Skype number", so people can call you from normal phones, I think it is more expensive. Plus, I've had some Skype call quality issues. I've not tried MagicJack.)

My Directv service, and Internet service cost me $240 per month for what you see in my signature and that only 15/2 internet.

So I would welcome $166. :grin:

Now if we went with Our Cable its $241 for basicly the same service , but as of now no whole home DVR with cable. Not Untill June!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#9 OFFLINE   hhh222

hhh222

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

FYI for anyone considering jumping on this deal. I did about a week ago and have discovered that Comcast and Netflix don't play well together at night anymore. Lots of people are experiencing this problem.

http://forums.comcas...t/false#M192261

Protected By... spam firewall...And...