Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Goodbye to Dish

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

I share a home with my oldest son, daughter in-law and three grandxons. We have a total of seven TV's. I had switched to Dish from Time Warner Cable (while retaining Time Warner for phone and internet), hoping to save money and avoid the problems inherent with CableCards and switched digital adapters on my three existing HD TiVo boxes. The TiVo boxes were then dedicated to OTA recording via outdoor antenna. My Dish subscription was to the America's Top 250 package, and I signed up for two Hoppers and 4 Joeys. All seemed well, except my oldest grandson complained about the connection for his Joey. 

Once the initial period was over, my subscription jumped to $135 a month due to the rental of the six boxes.I was now paying about $250 a month for the three services. Time Warner came out with a buyback offer that would save me roughly $70 a month for a year, after which I could negotiate pricing. It meant going back to CableCards on my HD TiVo boxes, plus a free Time Warner HD DVR for six months. I made the plunge, discovering that I had to return the Dish LNB, switch, the Hoppers and Joeys to Dish rather than the installing dealer, at a cost of $17 per box that Dish would send to me. It wound up being two boxes that I had to pack with the Dish hardware. They provided UPS return labels so it was just a matter of getting everything in the two boxes, adding a bit of padding that I felt was needed and dropping the boxes off at the local UPS store.

Did I leave Dish because I was dissatisfied with their service? Nope. I would have stayed but for the cost of the DVR's and the lack of high speed internet availability (only DSL was available).

So, now I'm back with Time Warner as my sole provider. I promptly blew much of my savings on a TiVo Roamio Plus box, which is a great DVR, along with two TiVo Minis which work with the Roamio via MOCa network. Two of my HD TiVo boxes installed seamlessly, tut the third (a TiVo Premiere) is havving difficulties in establishing a good combination of CableCard and switched digital adapter, still a work in progress after over a month of trial and error "fixes". Win a few, lose a few. 

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

I won't be far behind.  It's just gotten way too expensive.

I still have a few programs to record off the 512 onto other devices and I'll be gone.  I may even drop to a lower their or go to Pause for a while until I get those recordings done.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

You did it to yourself with those Tivo boxes. The Hoppers could have handled your OTA. Bye!

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

I see your points, but when I see "We have a total of seven TV's. I had switched to Dish from Time Warner Cable (while retaining Time Warner for phone and internet), hoping to save money" 

having 7 tvs in a large family is not unheard of, but it does come with some costs if you want independent viewing at all 7 locations...you can cut some costs by mirroring the programming to the ones that arent used at the same time.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,208 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

TV is expensive. I would also expect that the TWC rate will jump by a large percentage once the honeymoon is over. In my area, some Comcast users are experiencing a $100+ raise in rates after the initial Triple-Play promotion expires.

If you have multiple viewers with differing tastes, TV should cost more than it does for a couple with similar tastes.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

Having 7 TV's seems to be a lot and they were all connected with Dish.  I agree with the above post, it does come with a cost at connecting all of your TV's.  With Youtube, Tablets, Netflix, I'm really surprised that your grandchildren still watches traditional tv.  I know my nieces doesn't watch as much tv as I did when I was their age.  After the promo, Time Warner will also get you on the price.  

#7 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

What is your electricity bill look like?  I bet it was more than your Dish bill <smile>.

#8 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Always interesting to hear these stories of high end TV watching. We just gather around the one TV/DVR for a little over $50/month which seems "OK". Not "too" expensive or amazingly cheap.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,208 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Always interesting to hear these stories of high end TV watching.

The modern era seems to be creating more than its share of extended families (not that it is necessarily a bad thing).

Some planned on it all along but an inordinate number had it forced upon them. The more "extended" the families get the broader their needs.

Whether it is children moving home or parents moving in, they can't all be expected to share a singular preference for TV programming.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

TV is expensive. I would also expect that the TWC rate will jump by a large percentage once the honeymoon is over. In my area, some Comcast users are experiencing a $100+ raise in rates after the initial Triple-Play promotion expires.

If you have multiple viewers with differing tastes, TV should cost more than it does for a couple with similar tastes.

Yep... I fully expect that TWC cost will go up a fair amount. Thing is, three of my TiVo Dvr's have lifetime subscriptions and cost me only the cablecard rate ($2.50 per card). While on Dish, they were only good for OTA from antenna. I fully expect to give up the TWC  DVR once the free trial is over.  My Roamio and TiVo minis are currently on monthly billing. , but may wind up with lifetime subscriptions (at considerable cost) Unfortunately, TWC is very elusive when it comes to pricing once the  one year  promotional period such as the Triple play bundles has expired.

Regarding 7 TV's in the household: the TiVo's cover six -- my bedroom (3D!) TV, the family room TV, the one in my  son and daughter in-law's room, the ones in my grandsons' (15,19 and 22) rooms and one in the activity room, where the kids have their game systems and computer. The activity room will lose its TiVo when the TWC DVR (currently in my oldest grandson's room) is returned. I have an old series 2 TiVo with lifetime subscription that can receive basic cable, and it will go there.

FWIW, the Triple play bundle I signed up for has a base rate of $129 a month. It includes unlimited phone and long distance, Road Runner Extreme (30Mbits down, 5 up), digital TV package, and free HBO. With the cablecards, taxes and fees, it's $159 a month. a far cry form the $250 plus that I had been spending.

Could we have done with less? Of course, but individual tastes being what they are, Grandpa wants to keep peace in the family. !rolling

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#11 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Whether it is children moving home or parents moving in, they can't all be expected to share a singular preference for TV programming.

Oh I don't know I grew up in a household with 6 to 8 people in it and we all shared one tv and that even included the hours that the old Atari video game was hooked up to it and we all managed to get along, don't really remember any real battles over it either. Of course all of us were also prone to reading so I guess if we didn't like what was on tv we could escape to a different room with a good book or for that matter go outside and play with friends. Guess the difference is back then "screen time" was something for the whole house to be shared, now days everyone has usually several personal screeens (between phones, tablets, computers & tv's) and it's seen as more of a personal thing.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#12 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Oh I don't know I grew up in a household with 6 to 8 people in it and we all shared one tv and that even included the hours that the old Atari video game was hooked up to it and we all managed to get along, don't really remember any real battles over it either. Of course all of us were also prone to reading so I guess if we didn't like what was on tv we could escape to a different room with a good book or for that matter go outside and play with friends. Guess the difference is back then "screen time" was something for the whole house to be shared, now days everyone has usually several personal screeens (between phones, tablets, computers & tv's) and it's seen as more of a personal thing.

I grew up in a family of 7 with 1 color TV if my Uncle wanted to watch Bonanza we watched it.  Maybe that is why I don't watch Bonanza on ME TV

#13 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Playing outside is a thing of the past and hardly anyone goes door to door trick or treating anymore.  

I refuse to have a TV in my bedroom.  

• tsmacro likes this

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,208 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Oh I don't know I grew up in a household with 6 to 8 people in it and we all shared one tv and that even included the hours that the old Atari video game was hooked up to it and we all managed to get along, don't really remember any real battles over it either.

There's a distinct difference between growing up that way and coming into someone else's home and changing habits to match; especially in the context of an austerity measure.

#15 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

7 TV's is not unheard of, but far over the average. That means nothing as you decide what is important not others. But it does come at a cost. DISH is the least expensive provider for the vast majority of subscribers - the one, two or three room set-up. And still are if you can live with either some of the TV's getting SD, or some of the TV's watching what another one is. I think most who think they need that many TV's don't actually need them all to get something different at the same time. 

#16 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

hmm, Technically I have 7 TV's in my household, but really, only 5 are typically in use, an not usually all 5 at the same time, but sometimes.  Our Dish bill is about $140ish, for 3 recvrs.  We do have 9 ppl in the household though.  Nephew has his TV and vip211 in his room.  MBR has a vip722k which can b viewed in either the MBR or on the main level of the house.  Basement, where my brother-in-laws family live has 1 TV (technically 2 small additional tvs too but only I use those for watching multiple games at the same time), they use the vip922k TV1; TV2 is fed to the main level.  Main level has a small SD TV in the living/dining rm, an a tiny under counter TV in the kitchen.  From both TV's u can watch either the 922's TV2 or the 722's TV2, each w/ its own unique channel number (The TV1 video image also can be viewed on their respective unique channel numbers).  So someone could watch the 722's TV2 in the KIT and some1 else the 922's TV2 from the living, or vice versa, but typically, if both TVs are in use, they are on the same channel, since the whole main level of the house is an open area.  I sub to the Everything Pak, w/ the Sports pack and some Latino package.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#17 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:42 AM

Playing outside is a thing of the past and hardly anyone goes door to door trick or treating anymore.  

It all depends on where you live.  In my neighborhood, the kids are outside whenever the weather is decent.  And every kid I know trick-or-treats door-to-door.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...