Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ALERT: APC Surge Protectors Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,183 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

logo.jpg

Schneider Electric Recalls APC Surge Protectors Due to Fire Hazard

* Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed.

* It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

The recall involves APC 7 and 8 series SurgeArrest surge protectors manufactured before 2003. The model and serial numbers are located on a label on the bottom of the surge protector. The two numbers that follow the first letter or letters in the serial number sequence indicate the year of manufacture. The unit is included in the recall if the numbers are 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 or 02. APC and the words Personal, Professional, Performance or Network are printed on the surge protectors.

The CPSC website and a list of the specific model numbers included in this recall are here:

>>> https://www.cpsc.gov...rge-Protectors/ <<<

Incidents/Injuries:

The firm has received 700 reports of the surge protectors overheating and melting and 55 claims of property damage from smoke and fire, including $916,000 in fire damage to a home and $750,000 in fire damage to a medical facility.  There are 13 reports of injuries, including smoke inhalation and contact burns from touching the overheated surge protectors.

Remedy:

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled surge protectors, unplug them and contact Schneider Electric for a free replacement surge protector.

Sold at:

Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, and other stores nationwide from January 1993 through December 2002 for between $13 and $50. 

Manufacturer:

American Power Conversion (APC), is now known as Schneider Electric IT Corp., of West Kingston, R.I.

Manufactured in:

China, Philippines

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Nick: Thanks for putting his up! Turns out we have hundreds of these here at our headquarters campus and the few I've personally checked fall in the recall.

Our security and facilities teams will be sweeping the campus and noting for action.

Don "and to think goofing off on a non work related site might prove beneficial. THANKS Nick" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thankfully, the recall page allows multiple units per submission, though personally I'd do it in batches of 10 or so.

#4 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Per letter, my new strip was to be delivered around Jan 20. I got it late December. It even works!

#5 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

I received mine back in mid November.

#6 OFFLINE   DJ Rob

DJ Rob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Is there a web site setup to get a replacement or do we have to call the company? It turns out I have a few of these. I did a search for recall but nothing came up about it.

Directv HR44-500, HR24-100, HR24-500
Samsung PN50A650, Denon AVR-2807

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Is there a web site setup to get a replacement or do we have to call the company? It turns out I have a few of these. I did a search for recall but nothing came up about it.

You can file the claim online here. (check your serial #s first, then if yours are affected, click Submit a claim at the bottom of the page)

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:03 AM

Though don't assume they'll send you the one that they say they will. The one I was replacing had coax, the replacement was supposed to have it as well, but didn't. I didn't do anything to correct it as I wasn't using that feature anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 OFFLINE   DJ Rob

DJ Rob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I have 2 on that list that have been in use. I have pulled them and will make a claim. 

Directv HR44-500, HR24-100, HR24-500
Samsung PN50A650, Denon AVR-2807

spam firewall