Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV HR20-700 DVR HDD Disk Replacement / Formatting

Best Answer prisoner6 , 25 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

If you put a new drive in internally and its not booting up, unless there is a problem with the new drive, the problem with your HR may not have been the drive....

It is now up and running (probably has been running for some time), just a really dumb user error (HDMI cable slipped out of the back of the TV, duh).  Anyway, seems to be working fine.  Thanks for all the help.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   prisoner6

prisoner6

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've not found the exact answer.  Most of the questions pertaining to this are from people who are wanting to upgrade a drive, or retain their stored programming.

I have a HR20-700 that I swapped out the original 320Gb Seagate DB35 drive, for a already set-up 1.5Tb drive (perhaps from WeakKnees).  It worked great for several years.  In the meantime, I sold the 320G Seagate, which was shortsighted. So i'm familiar with opening the DVR up and replacing drives.

Now the 1.5Tb drive has an unrecoverable error, and won't come up, can't get picture, can't run a surface scan, etc.

At this point, I'm only using this DVR as a backup, so I don't want to spend $200+ on another 1.5Tb drive that's set to go. 

My question is this - I don't care about what's on the 1.5Tb drive, it's a write-off.  If I buy just a new standard Seagate DB35 drive (320Gb to 750Gb, presumably unformatted), plug it into the DVR and do a format within the DVR, would the drive then be set up to make new recordings?  I can pick up one of these drives for $30-40, which I'm willing to do to have a 2nd DVR working again, as a backup, or for a third program at the same time. 

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,126 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

If you cal DirecTV, you probably find that your LEASED HR20-700 has been to transferred to OWN. And you can do whatever you want with it.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

If you cal DirecTV, you probably find that your LEASED HR20-700 has been to transferred to OWN. And you can do whatever you want with it.

as long as is replaced under the ERP and not a tech.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've not found the exact answer.  Most of the questions pertaining to this are from people who are wanting to upgrade a drive, or retain their stored programming.

I have a HR20-700 that I swapped out the original 320Gb Seagate DB35 drive, for a already set-up 1.5Tb drive (perhaps from WeakKnees).  It worked great for several years.  In the meantime, I sold the 320G Seagate, which was shortsighted. So i'm familiar with opening the DVR up and replacing drives.

Now the 1.5Tb drive has an unrecoverable error, and won't come up, can't get picture, can't run a surface scan, etc.

At this point, I'm only using this DVR as a backup, so I don't want to spend $200+ on another 1.5Tb drive that's set to go. 

My question is this - I don't care about what's on the 1.5Tb drive, it's a write-off.  If I buy just a new standard Seagate DB35 drive (320Gb to 750Gb, presumably unformatted), plug it into the DVR and do a format within the DVR, would the drive then be set up to make new recordings?  I can pick up one of these drives for $30-40, which I'm willing to do to have a 2nd DVR working again, as a backup, or for a third program at the same time. 

Thanks for any help.

The drives don't cost that much anymore.  You can usually find 2TB drives for less than $100 now on Amazon.  Just search for a WD Green drive.  Here's a link to one that will work.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 591 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

To answer your question:  If you remove the old drive and install a new one and then power on, the HR20 will format the drive and get it ready to record.  The format is automatic on a new drive but most of your settings will be lost.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x093d
DirecTV since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   prisoner6

prisoner6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks bpratt and Rich for the answer and the link.  For $90, the 2TB drive is a pretty good deal.  Weakknees wants $250 for a 2TB drive that's ready to go.  As long as the format is automatic once I put the new drive in, that's all I need to know.  Don't care if the settings are lost, I have to reprogram anyway, as the current drive is toast it seems.

Think I'll get the 2TB drive, since my other DVR (HR23-700 with a 1.5TB drive) is starting to get a bit squirrely now, so the HR20 may end up being the replacement with the new drive, and the HR23 would be the backup.

Don't believe the DVR is owned by DirecTV, I bought it off eBay, and then swapped the drive out, so there's no warranty, and as far as I'm concerned, it's mine.  Thanks again! :righton:

#7 OFFLINE   prisoner6

prisoner6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hey Rich - 1 last question, on that WD green drive, I can't find any rotational speed spec.  It just says "Intellipower", so it could be 5400, or 7200.  The original Seagate DB35 Barracuda is a 7200rpm drive, so am thinking perhaps getting a 2TB Seagate Barracuda with 7200rpm speed might work better (it's also $90 at Amazon).  It's a

Seagate ST3750840SCE Seagate DB35 750GB INT 3 5 IN SATA HDD 7200RPM 8MB 1 IN HEIGHT 5,

and the link is here:

http://www.amazon.co...T/dp/B000YX480G

The original drive was a Seagate DB35, so perhaps this is a closer replacement.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hey Rich - 1 last question, on that WD green drive, I can't find any rotational speed spec.  It just says "Intellipower", so it could be 5400, or 7200.  The original Seagate DB35 Barracuda is a 7200rpm drive, so am thinking perhaps getting a 2TB Seagate Barracuda with 7200rpm speed might work better (it's also $90 at Amazon).  It's a

Seagate ST3750840SCE Seagate DB35 750GB INT 3 5 IN SATA HDD 7200RPM 8MB 1 IN HEIGHT 5,

and the link is here:

http://www.amazon.co...T/dp/B000YX480G

The original drive was a Seagate DB35, so perhaps this is a closer replacement.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

I used to use Barracudas.  Damn things made so much noise, I switched to WD drives.  The Green WD drives are all 5400RPM drives as far as I know.  They work as well as a 7200RPM drive will.  RunnerFL uses Seagates, but I think he uses a different model than the Cudas.  As soon as he reads this post, I'm sure he'll pop up and tell you which Seagates he prefers.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

I used to use Barracudas.  Damn things made so much noise, I switched to WD drives.  The Green WD drives are all 5400RPM drives as far as I know.  They work as well as a 7200RPM drive will.  RunnerFL uses Seagates, but I think he uses a different model than the Cudas.  As soon as he reads this post, I'm sure he'll pop up and tell you which Seagates he prefers.

Rich

I use the Seagate Enterprise Constellation drives.

http://www.amazon.co...e constellation

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   prisoner6

prisoner6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the additional info, Rich and RunnerFL.  Will probably give the WD Green drive at shot.  At $90, can't really go wrong, as long as the 5400 rpm works, that's all I care about.

#11 OFFLINE   El Vato

El Vato

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

Prisoner6,

BestBuy current has the WD Green 2TB for 79.99...link below.

http://www.bestbuy.c...50001&cp=1&lp=5

DirecTV customer since 1998

If you're going to make a mistake, smack it hard and wish it well.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

Prisoner6,

BestBuy current has the WD Green 2TB for 79.99...link below.

http://www.bestbuy.c...50001&cp=1&lp=5

I don't believe that is the same drive as what we usually recommend here....we recommend the AV-GP line of drives.....

http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=150

Lists all the AV-GP models...

Edited by CCarncross, 30 October 2013 - 06:44 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

I don't believe that is the same drive as what we usually recommend here....we recommend the AV-GP line of drives.....

http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=150

Lists all the AV-GP models...

Those boxes really should say which model HDD is inside.  I've usually been able to find out by going to Amazon and searching, then reading the reviews.  Someone who reviews the item usually states the actual model in the review.  Kinda hit and miss using that approach, tho.

Just tried to find it and found the item but it had no reviews and nothing shows up on the WD site either.  I do know it has a 32 cache and is probably an older model.  

Rich 

#14 OFFLINE   prisoner6

prisoner6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

I got and installed the WD Green drive, but am not having any luck getting the HR-20 to format it.  When I power it up, the lights light up, and the circular lights revolve for some time, but no screen ever comes up.  Have also tried powering up while holding the REC button and the down arrow, but that hasn't done anything either.  Is there anything I"m missing here, in order to get the new drive formatted and the DVR running? 

Thanks.

#15 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,050 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

Seriously?  I have 4 of them still running strong.  Including my original from October 2006? 

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,126 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Seriously?  I have 4 of them still running strong.  Including my original from October 2006?

Well I called them over a month ago about my account and they have my listed leased HR21-200 as owned. Believe me, it is just the last one in a line of refurbish replacements. I'm only hanging on to it for a future upgrade to a second genie.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

I got and installed the WD Green drive, but am not having any luck getting the HR-20 to format it.  When I power it up, the lights light up, and the circular lights revolve for some time, but no screen ever comes up.  Have also tried powering up while holding the REC button and the down arrow, but that hasn't done anything either.  Is there anything I"m missing here, in order to get the new drive formatted and the DVR running? 

Thanks.

Did you:

Unplug the power cords from the HR and external device?  Then, did you make sure the eSATA to eSATA jumper cord was securely in place?  Then, did you power up the external device and let the HDD spin all the way up?  If you did all those things in that order, when you plugged in the HR your external HDD should have been recognized by the HR.

Don't screw around with any other buttons, just follow the instructions above and if that doesn't work try a different external device. If that doesn't work, try a different model HDD.  The HDD you have isn't an EURS is it?  Which external device are you using?

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   prisoner6

prisoner6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hi Rich - actually, because the old internal drive doesn't boot up at all, I removed it and replaced it with the new WD Green drive, so there is no external device.  Of course, I had the power cord disconnected during the replacement process, so it is powering up from a non-powered state.  Essentially, just replaced the old drive with a new one (the WD Green drive you recommended at Amazon, http://www.amazon.co... hard drive 2tb).

Do I have to hook this drive up as an external device, with a working drive as the internal drive, in order to get the DVR to format it?  Or will the DVR format it from scratch if it's installed as the new internal drive?  I have another DVR, an HR23-700, that is limping along, I have to reset it every few hours, and its internal drive is failing all the diagnostic tests.  I'm buying a HR24-200 DVR today locally just to have something that works in the interim.   Worse comes to worse, I can hook the new drive to the HR23 as an external device (guess I'll need a eSata jumper) and format it that way.

If the HR20 internal drive is toasted to the point I can't get to the bootup screen (which is the case), if I hook up the new WD drive as an external device, will that be enough for the DVR to be able to see it and format it?  And then, would I continue to use the new drive only as an external device, or could I then swap it out and use it as the new internal drive?

Thanks again for all the help, sorry for the confusion on my side.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

If you put a new drive in internally and its not booting up, unless there is a problem with the new drive, the problem with your HR may not have been the drive....

#20 OFFLINE   prisoner6

prisoner6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:21 PM   Best Answer

It is now up and running (probably has been running for some time), just a really dumb user error (HDMI cable slipped out of the back of the TV, duh).  Anyway, seems to be working fine.  Thanks for all the help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...