Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problem with DRM

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

First let me say that I am not doing anything illegal.  I am just trying to watch the HD channels that I pay for on my HDTV.

Now that DISH has added DRM to most of its channels I am having a problem.  

If I turn my HDTV on well before I turn on the receiver then all is well but if the DVR is recording when I turn the TV on or if I don't wait long enough before turning on the receiver then I get errors that the receiver can't detect an HDMI connection and it won't let me watch the channel.  

When I am not recording something I can simply turn off the receiver wait a moment then turn it back on.  But when I am recording, which is most of the time that I also want to watch TV, then turning it off and back on doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to get around this problem?  Does someone make a device that I could put between the receiver and my TV that the receiver would always recognize as an HDMI device?  

If it matters I have a 722K receiver connected to an Emerson HDTV.

Thanks,

Denis

P.S. I have not called DISH yet because I think that one of the things they will want me to try is to reset the receiver which is not an option while I am recording  :(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

Yeah, they make devices that will always recognize the HDMI device.  They're called AV receivers.  Any modern one should work just fine.  Get a sound bar to go with it and you'll not only fix your HDMI issues, you'll get better sound out of your TV, too.

#3 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Thanks but won't an AV receiver have the same issue if it is not turned on before the dish receiver starts recording?

#4 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

Is your 722k connected to your TV by HDMI?  I have the same problem as you using an HDMI switch.  The only way I can watch the movies from the BB@H package is to connect the HDMI directly into my HDTV or they won't play.  I have to use the switch because the optical out from the Hopper cuts out when connected dircetly to my AV receiver.  The switch sends the HDMI audio to the AV receiver through optical, but then I can't watch the movies.  Don't know if there is a good solution for you other than the new HDMI AV receiver option.

#5 ONLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

I've never seen any kind of HDMI error message, but I have always had my 722K connected to a Yamaha A/V receiver, which connects to a Samsung TV (all via HDMI). So, sregener may be right and the receiver may have been hiding an issue for me for all this time.

Then again, I'm a little confused as to why recording makes any difference. As far as I've noticed, all that happens when the DISH receiver starts recording is a red LED comes on on the front. I normally turn my 722K off when done for the night and it's not really "off" but instead displays a helpful tip screen that includes how to turn it on. :)

By the way, my usual turn on order is: A/V receiver, Sat receiver, TV. I don't delay between any of those steps. Occasionally, when I just want to do some quick programming, I turn on just the Sat receiver and TV, which uses the A/V receiver's "HDMI passthrough" feature. No errors when I run it that way either. (Though even in this mode, it may not be just passing it like a simple cable.)

Edited by Orion9, 28 October 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm sorry to hear that HDMI switches have the same problem that I am having, I had hoped that someone with a switch would tell me that it solved the problem.

Yep, my 722k is connected directly to the TV by an HDMI cable.  It is currently on the HDMI input 2 as the number 1 HDMI input is on the side of the TV rather than on the back.  I have thought about trying it in HDMI input 1 to see if that would help.

I had also thought about a new AV receiver but was afraid that it would have the same problem if the 722k was on before the AV receiver was powered on.

Thanks,

Denis

#7 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

This may not be as big of an issue for me as I had thought.  Last night, the 722k was recording before I turned the TV on, and I got the message when I tried to tune in a channel with DRM.  I re-read the message making sure this was the same error I had been seeing then I grabbed the phone to call DISH with the hope that they could tell me a way around it or at least turn it in as a problem to hopefully be fixed with a future software update.  Well, before I got the entire phone number entered the message went away and the channel started playing.  I am guessing that somewhere in that amount of time (probably less than 60 seconds or so) that the 722k re-checked the connection and found it was an HDMI connection.  So maybe if I am patient I can get by without a new AV receiver for a little while. 

I'll do some more testing since I am sure I will see the message again, this time I'll try to time how long it takes for the message to go away.

Thanks again,

Denis

#8 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:23 AM

Thanks but won't an AV receiver have the same issue if it is not turned on before the dish receiver starts recording?

The issue isn't HDMI or DRM.  The issue is in your television's HDMI code.  Getting a new AV receiver means you'll get current handshaking.  Mine has never had a problem connecting, no matter what state the satellite receiver is in.

Glad to hear that it's just a patience issue.  Those are usually the cheapest to fix (though not always the most fun!)

#9 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

I agree sounds like it is the HDMI handshake with the Emerson.  Have you tried a different TV to confirm?

#10 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

Sorry, I currently only have the one HD TV so can't do any other testing.

Had the issue again last night.  Used the guide to switch to a channel that has DRM (syfy) waited a little over a minute and the error had not gone away.  Got impatient again and dropped out of the guide back to a local channel then pressed channel 122, got the error again and in less than 10 seconds the error went away and the channel started playing.  I am not sure if the HDMI handshake check started when I tried changing channels through the guide or not.  Tried turning off the TV then back on but apparently didn't wait long enough for the 722k to realize the TV had been turned off.  Will do some more testing when I see the error again, hopefully not tonight as both tuners will be recording shows this evening.

About the AV Receiver, been researching them a little and must say that I may need to upgrade to a newer unit, my old one sounds fine but doesn't do video.  The new ones have some nice features like internet radio (living in the boonies I don't get much for radio signal), some can play from a USB drive and can handle the newer audio encoding that hadn't come out yet when I got the old audio receiver.  Yep I think I am seeing a new AV receiver in my future. 

Thanks,

Denis

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Perhaps someone with the same make and model fo tv can shed some light.  What is the exact model of that Emerson tv?  How old is it?

#12 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

What is DRM?  And have u tried a different HDMI cable?  Not every HDMI cable is a 'quality' HDMI cable.  Have u considered using Component video?  Same 1080i HD signal.  Sure component wont do 1080p but the only content thats 1080p are a few select V.OnDemand movies.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

DRM = Digital Rights Management

With DRM enabled the receiver will make a secure handshake with the monitor/TV to make sure that the content is protected. If the two devices sync up all is well - but if the handshake is not made or refused the content will not be shown via that connection.

DRM is enabled to help prevent people from recording programs in the highest quality.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

Sheesh. Always coming up with new ways to keep us from recording content. Blah

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

use HDMI splitter 1x2; we discussed these before; works just fine in such installs and more - it's serve old Dell monitor w/out HDCP (!)

#16 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

Are you referring to the powered HDMI splitter boxes or will the simple unpowered Y HDMI cable splitters do the trick?

Thanks,

Denis

#17 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've heard that updating the firmware on the TV can sometimes fix these types of handshake issues. I've never tried it myself though.

#)

#)

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

Are you referring to the powered HDMI splitter boxes or will the simple unpowered Y HDMI cable splitters do the trick?

Thanks,

Denis

I recall that one is non-powered (I'm far away from it to check, but I did post its model here)

#19 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Since my last post I have had a chance to test this several times.  I have discovered that if the HDMI handshake has not occurred that I can not use the guide to change channels to a channel with DRM.  I also can not play a previously recorded item if it has DRM. 

There is a simple fix (assuming that I have a tuner that is not recording) all I have to do is tune directly to a channel with DRM, ex use remote and type 122.  It will display the error message then after about 10 seconds the message disappears and the handshake is done.  After that I can tune to any channel with or without using the guide or watch any previously recorded shows including those with DRM.

I wish DISH would change their software so that anytime the error message gets displayed that it would also re-initiate the handshake process.  Any DIRT members want to pass that wish along as a software enhancement request? 

Thanks,

Denis

spam firewall