Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iPad Air vs iPad Mini w/ Retina

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

So...  last year was an easier decision...  You pay a little more for a "full-sized" iPad, but you got 4x the graphics resolution, more CPU power, and an option for 128GB of storage.

But this year is a whole new ballgame.

From what I can read...  it sounds like the new iPad Air (hits this Friday) and the iPad Mini Retina (2-3 weeks later maybe due to supply issues) have essentially the same hardware and power inside...  only differing in form, but not in function.

Decisions decisions...  still on a 1st gen iPad, so it's time for something.  IF you asked me last year, I didn't want a mini because of the feature differences for not too much more money...  but this year that gap is closed and only two factors I can see...  Will the ~2" diagonal size difference bother me?  And is saving $100 to get the mini a better way to budget?

Anyone else wrestling with this?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,130 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

The Mini doesn't have the M7 co-processor, though I'm not yet convinced it's a big loss.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

According to the specs on Apple's Web site, both the mini w/ Retina and the Air have the M7.  They have a "compare models" page and virtually everything is identical except for the size and weight.

#4 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,130 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

From the images I saw from the Keynote, it didn't seem like it did. But looks like I did misunderstand it.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

I got the mini last year primarily as it's much easier to hold for reading for long periods. 

I tend to watch TV with my MBAir in my lap. I like keyboards!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Our household has the ipad 1 (wife), the ipad 2 (me) and the mini (9 y/o daughter).  For me it's a no brainer ipad air upgrade for the wife and me.  I really like the mini, but I'm used to the larger ipad screen and find myself scrolling more when using the mini vs an ipad.  There is definitely a huge difference in weight between the min and the ipads, much easier to hold the mini for extended periods of reading.

I think it depends on how you use your ipad.  For text based reading, the mini is great, but I like the larger ipad screen for web sites and video.  Am looking forward to the lighter weight, smaller footprint and faster processor on the air.

HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#7 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,130 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

I actually don't see it as a no brainer for the iPad 2. Sure it has retina etc, but the iPad 2 is the second thinnest model after the air. I'm holding out for at least one more generation.

#8 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

I have original ipad so Ipad air for me.  The screen on the mini is too small for me.

RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

I admit I'm used to the larger iPad Air screen size... so I was defaulting to that... but saving $100 for an equivalent iPad mini w/ Retina and being able to put that $100 elsewhere is tempting.

#10 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,130 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

Patience may be needed for the Mini, Tim Cook said they may not be able to meet demand this year.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

I currently have they now "Apple made obsolete" iPad 3. For me is a no brainer. I will be getting the iPad Air this Friday. I prefer the iPad better then the mini for the extra real state. for a "mini" screen, I use my iPhone 5s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

My sister likes the mini because it is easier to take with her in her purse. It fits but the full sized one does not.

She flies all over the country all the time.

When she is home she has a full sized Ipad.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...