Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestion re: NHLCI, NBALP, MLBEI Channel Locations

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

Is there a reaosn that Directv doesn't mirror cable channels (in the 200s) to the sports package channel ranges in the 700s during the season of the sport carried by that network? 

For example, why doesn't Directv (from the months of October-April) mirror NBC Sports Network on Channel 769 and NHL Network on Channel 770?  This way all of the games every night are right in a row.  I know some fans forget about the games on the main networks sometimes.  This can't hurt NBCSN and NHLN so long as Nielsen credited people watching that channel at that time.

This doesn't take up any bandwidth, right?

Same would go for NBALP -- put a channel for NBATV and then maybe one channel for ESPN/TNT, alternating every day (4am-4am) depending on which channel has a game that day.

For MLBEI, it's not as important because MLBEI carries every game except those on ESPN Sunday Night.  But it might make sense to put MLB Network on Channel 719 during the MLB season.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

This is a great idea, and have thought along the same lines for a long time. For other sports, the TNT/TBS games should be mirrored to the packages, too. Even to the MLB or NBA alt channels. I rarely watch the games on those channels because I forget about them. Who knew playoff hockey was on CNBC this past year?

I have always wondered why more effort isn't made to organize things. It would be nice to have ESPN Deportes and ESPN classic on 210 and 211 (People always throw a fit when I suggest this). FS2 needs to be by FS1. FXX needs to be near FXM and FX. All the soccer channels should be mirrored together. Cable does it in some areas and it works well. Who cares if you see a channel 3 times on the guide, it's not like they'd be next to each other. Don't like it? Make a favorites list.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

I agree with what you are saying except Spanish. They should be separate as they are. People who just want to listen to Spanish should have all their channels next to each other so they don't have to scrounge through English ones to find the Spanish ones. And I have to filter through enough channels as it is.

I would go one step further though for sports.

Now that all people should be on boxes that support four digit channels I have always thought dtv should have one channel for every team. So the Lakers would always be on channel 1202 for example. My jets nfl always on 1101. Etc... Always the home announcers or the national one if no home announcers available.

Do every team in every major league that way. Then you will always know what channel your team is on. With thousands of channels they could Even do college football, basketball, and baseball. And of course group everything by league and by conference and then division so people with sports packages can easily find other teams in the same division etc on neighboring channels.

As long as you aren't hurting anyone's revenue stream I don't see why anyone would care about additional mappings of channels.

#4 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I agree with what you are saying except Spanish. They should be separate as they are. People who just want to listen to Spanish should have all their channels next to each other so they don't have to scrounge through English ones to find the Spanish ones. And I have to filter through enough channels as it is.

Now that all people should be on boxes that support four digit channels I have always thought dtv should have one channel for every team. So the Lakers would always be on channel 1202 for example. My jets nfl always on 1101. Etc... Always the home announcers or the national one if no home announcers available.

Do every team in every major league that way. Then you will always know what channel your team is on. With thousands of channels they could Even do college football, basketball, and baseball. And of course group everything by league and by conference and then division so people with sports packages can easily find other teams in the same division etc on neighboring channels.

As long as you aren't hurting anyone's revenue stream I don't see why anyone would care about additional mappings of channels.

Agreed.  That's how the Sirius XM's internet app works where there are specific channels for specific teams.  

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,259 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

This is a great idea, and have thought along the same lines for a long time. For other sports, the TNT/TBS games should be mirrored to the packages, too. Even to the MLB or NBA alt channels. I rarely watch the games on those channels because I forget about them. Who knew playoff hockey was on CNBC this past year?

I have always wondered why more effort isn't made to organize things. It would be nice to have ESPN Deportes and ESPN classic on 210 and 211 (People always throw a fit when I suggest this). FS2 needs to be by FS1. FXX needs to be near FXM and FX. All the soccer channels should be mirrored together. Cable does it in some areas and it works well. Who cares if you see a channel 3 times on the guide, it's not like they'd be next to each other. Don't like it? Make a favorites list.

Playing devil's advocate here... (could careless about NHL, NFL, MLB, I love soccer)  why don't you make a favorite list?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Many of us have been suggestion this for years. Don't know why they don't do it. I think E* does it.

#7 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

They don't, it's even worse on Dish since they don't have dedicated channels for alternates. In some cases even your local game is on a different channel each night.

#8 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

That may eat up quite a bit of ram, cpu time and guide space to deal with all of the channels.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

That may eat up quite a bit of ram, cpu time and guide space to deal with all of the channels.

Could be but it'd make it easier.

#10 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

The sports channels may not like it if the games were automatically delivered to one channel for a team, depending upon how long that channel stays live.  For example, if Channel 1102 was the Yankees channel and their Sunday Night Baseball Game was simulcasted on that channel, ESPN may not like that.  Maybe Directv could leave ESPN running until 4am the next day.  I think the idea is fantastic, but that could be what stops it.

This is why the idea I proposed to start this thread may be more likely to happen.  It would simply keep the channel running all the time in that 700s location (during the season).

#11 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

I do have a favorites list. That doesn't change the fact that sports are are all over the place (200s, scattered in the 400s, including EPL/UEFA/Rugby, 600s, 700s), FXX is way out of place, etc. 

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

How about just information on a "Yankee" channel that says the game is on ESPN and automatically switches rather than game search?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...