Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Install Scheduled; What To Expect

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

I was a DirecTV subscriber for several years, ending in 2009. We went with basic (non-digital) cable and OTA since then, and recently decided to go back to DirecTV. I have an install scheduled for 10/30, and am just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I still have the 5LNB Slimline dish on my roof from before, with 2 coax lines run into my basement. I am in the Minneapolis area, and am getting a Genie with two Genie Minis. When I called to schedule, I was told that I was being automatically upgraded to the wireless Genie Minis, and that is what shows on my order confirmation.

I have a central location where my coax runs converge, as well as my ethernet (Cat6) runs/cable modem/routers/switches. I have two wireless routers providing separate G and N networks to my home.

At the location where the Genie will be installed (basement family room), there are 3 coax runs and 4 ethernet runs. The main floor living room has 3 coax and 3 ethernet, and the master BR has only 1 coax (no ethernet). I am planning Genie minis for those two locations. 

I realize I may get an HR34 or a 44, though I'm hoping for the 44. I know they'll have to install SWM equipment for the new receiver (never had that before). I've been trying to understand some of the new networking setups that are being installed, like DECA and the "whole home" systems, and it sounds like some of the installers are installing things that aren't necessary (like networking devices that the receiver can do without?).

Any advice or heads up on what they'll likely do (and what I should do after they leave) would be appreciated.

Edited by 911medic, 28 October 2013 - 05:07 PM.

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,907 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

The LNB assembly in your dish will be replaced, and one of the existing coax lines will be used.  The rest of your infrastructure (wiring, etc.) should be fine.

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,202 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

I'd go with wired Genie clients everyday.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, even though they "upgraded" you to wireless, unless you have specific needs for wireless, I'd ask that they connect them via coax. Sounds like you've got a really good setup for getting it installed painlessly, so asking for wired clients shouldn't be an issue. As far as the networking, deca, and everything else, provided they hard wire your clients with coax, the networking stuff should be easy. Two options are using a CCK, which basically is a bridge between your ethernet and coax networks, or, you can simply connect ethernet to your Genie directly and then that will bridge the networks. No special configuration is necessary beyond that, unless you have something non-standard like static IPs going on.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'd go with wired Genie clients everyday.....

I second this.  If you want a trouble free system get the wired clients.  if you want to be part of the "BETA test", get the wireless clients.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

First off, let me apologize for the giant block of text that my first post was. I wrote and submitted it via Tapatalk, and it didn't look like that on the app.  I have modified it so it's easier to read. Sorry!

Second, thanks for the replies. I will ask about the wired Genie minis when the installer arrives. However, I have experienced previously that some installers balk at installing anything other than what's on the install order. My install is Wednesday morning, so we'll see.

I just got off the phone with a CSR, trying to get my address corrected--for the second time. The day after I ordered service (last week) I saw on the order confirmation that my street number was off by a digit. Called them immediately and they said they fixed it. Today I received a letter confirmation with the same incorrect address listed, so I called them again. First they told me that my address was correct in one of their systems, but not the other, and in order to correct it they'd need to cancel my order and resubmit everything, and that I'd lose my scheduled install. When I said that was unacceptable, they said they would "escalate" the change request and someone would call me within 24 to 72 hours (even though my install time is only 38 hours away). So, we'll see if anything happens on Wednesday at all.

Am I correct that I have read here that installers are installing the CCK device even though the Genie can handle that job without it?

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

#7 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Let them install the cc. They'll get paid for it, but they won't get paid for the direct connection.
You can always unhook it and plug in an Ethernet cable after they're gone.

#)

#)

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,202 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Yes, that's not uncommon, but YMMV. Sounds like you have a good handle on it all, and won't need any luck, but good luck anyhow! 

#9 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks! I will try to update post-install.

Current Hardware:

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Let them install the cc. They'll get paid for it, but they won't get paid for the direct connection.
You can always unhook it and plug in an Ethernet cable after they're gone.

#)

actually, they do get pay, albeit less and only on HR44s.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Am I correct that I have read here that installers are installing the CCK device even though the Genie can handle that job without it?

Depends on the installer.  Most techs are over using the built in WiFi on HR44s,  On my books, I only do DECA BBs, regardless of Genie model.  if you happen to have an ethernet cable at the Genie location then I use that.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

If I have RG6 to my Genie server, but RG59 to a Genie client, will the wired Genie clients work? Or do they need RG6 as well? My master BR on the second floor has RG59 running to it from the central wiring location in my basement.

Current Hardware:

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,907 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

RG59 should work okay to the client.

#14 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

59 will work fine, in fact it will even work for the Genie. It is however best to not use it for the power supply but with short runs it will work fine on it as well.

#15 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Thanks!

Current Hardware:

#16 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

UPDATE:

Install complete. The installer had no problem doing wired C41's instead of the wireless. Said it saved him about an hour of install time and setup.

So, I received an HR44-700 and two C41-500s. No CCK device.

HR44 in basement family room, C41 in main floor living room, C41 in upstairs master BR. Installer set the HR44 up to connect wirelessly to the internet, even though there was literally an ethernet cable right there that I pointed out to him; all he would have to do is plug it into the back of the HR44. Oh, well, I will take care of that myself.

Both of the C41's updated almost immediately after install to 0x724. I haven't checked the HR44, but it came with software version 0x725, I believe--not sure.

There is a power inserter in my central cable location and a green DirecTV 4-way splitter, although the power pass through does not go to the HR44--I don't know if it matters or not:

20131030_111854.jpg

The tech changed out my old LNB on my existing Slimline dish installation. He said it was still solidly mounted and required only minor "peaking." I assume this new LNB has the SWM integrated? There is no separate SWM installed:

20131030_121818.jpg

One of the existing double wire coax lines was used, and the other just clipped and left sticking up. Is that a concern?

20131030_121901.jpg

The existing run was never grounded, and remains so now, even though it passes by the grounding stake:

20131030_121925.jpg

20131030_121954.jpg

So far, I'm impressed with the equipment. PQ and responsiveness of the server and clients is excellent. The clients get quite warm, though. I saw on the status screen of one that it was reading 125F, and the case was very warm to the touch.

Just need to switch the HR44 to ethernet, and I think I'm good to go! Is it better to assign a static IP to the HR44, or does DHCP seem to handle things OK?

Oh, all the devices fail the self test with the "no phone line connected" error; I assume that's normal?

Thanks again for the advice, everyone.

Edited by 911medic, 30 October 2013 - 08:12 PM.

Current Hardware:

#17 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,032 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

1. No it doesn't matter if the HR44 is not on the power passing port of the splitter.

2. Yes, the SWiM multi-switch is integrated into the LNB in your case.

3. Not really a concern, though could have been done neater by leaving the connector on the spare cable and tucked inside the LNB arm for possible future use.

4. Afraid you may have a bit of a problem there as the grounding requirement is not up to code that way. The existing twin cable run should have gone through a double barrel ground block somewhere before entering the home. Then a heavy gauge wire connection should have been run from the GB to the ground rod or attached to any convenient screw on the exterior of the electrical utility box.

5. Static IPs are really only necessary to resort to if DHCP is unreliable resulting in random receiver (or in your case RVU clients) disconnect issues.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,202 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

A very nice photo essay! 

And, no, no worries re the phone line. I haven't had one connected for five or so years, though internet for all that time. 

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,032 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

A very nice photo essay! 

And, no, no worries re the phone line. I haven't had one connected for five or so years, though internet for all that time. 

Oh, sorry;

Meant to answer that question too.

What Laxguy said, ... :)

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#20 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Since you're connected to the internet, you don't need a phone line connected. However, if you do have a land line if you connect it you will get caller id on your TV screens when the phone rings.

It looks like you might be grounded by looking at the picture of your PI. Can you take a wider shot? What does that bare copper wire run to on both ends?

Edited by JosephB, 30 October 2013 - 02:27 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...