Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choice Xtra Classic Compared to Xtra?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

Right now I have an old Choice Xtra Classic package.  The new one DirecTV would like me to be on is called simply "Xtra."  It costs $1.00 less per month, but says it has 5 less channels.  I can't figure out what 5 channels it is, perhaps music or something?  

Is there any downside to going to this $1.00 less package and be up to date on the packages they offer?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Choice Xtra Classic was replaced with two packages, Xtra and Ultimate. Ultimate has all the channels that are in Choice Xtra Classic plus a few extra channels like the Encores, The Movie Channel and Sundance. Xtra doesn't have Boomerang, Chiller, Cloo, Esquire, NHL Network, PBS Kids Sprout and Univision Deportes.
  • mika911 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

One thing to keep in mind is you can't go back to the old package. But, unless you watch those channels, there also isn't really a reason to keep it.

• mika911 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,230 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

If you sign into your account and then click on packages it will show your current package along with all the others available. Then you can compare channels in each package. You can choose, movies, sports, hd, etc. to compare or all channels.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   stek

stek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:27 AM

Choice Xtra Classic was replaced with two packages, Xtra and Ultimate. Ultimate has all the channels that are in Choice Xtra Classic plus a few extra channels like the Encores, The Movie Channel and Sundance. Xtra doesn't have Boomerang, Chiller, Cloo, Esquire, NHL Network, PBS Kids Sprout and Univision Deportes.

I subscribe to the Choice Xtra Classic package and I receive Boomerang, Chiller, Esquire, NHL Network, PBS Kids Sprout and Univision Deportes.  I do not receive Cloo, the Encores, the Movie Channel and Sundance. 

#6 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

I do not receive Cloo, the Encores, the Movie Channel and Sundance. 

No, they are not included with the old Choice Xtra.  They are the "Extras" that Kyle said are included in the Ultimate package, beyond what is in Choice Xtra.

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

I went with Xtra to save the $1 as I didn't see anything in classic that I watch.

Hey, every $1 saved helps!

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

why in the wide ,WIDE, world of sports, would you give up 5, count them, FIVE CHANNELS, for a dollar.. that's 20 cents per month.. I pay close to $4 for just one outdoor channel most months. and what happens, when you have a visitor, or are watching a kid, grandkid, or who ever, and 'need' that channel for entertainment.. if you were saving a dollar per channel, it would be 'worth it" but a dollar a month.. no way.. no how, and not for me.. just remember, with all that savings, you can buy a gallon of gas, in just 4 months.. 

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:02 PM

why in the wide ,WIDE, world of sports, would you give up 5, count them, FIVE CHANNELS, for a dollar.. that's 20 cents per month.. I pay close to $4 for just one outdoor channel most months. and what happens, when you have a visitor, or are watching a kid, grandkid, or who ever, and 'need' that channel for entertainment.. if you were saving a dollar per channel, it would be 'worth it" but a dollar a month.. no way.. no how, and not for me.. just remember, with all that savings, you can buy a gallon of gas, in just 4 months..

he didn't give up five channels for a $1 a month. He lowered his bill by a dollar a month by delete ing things he never watches. That's like saying someone's nuts for only getting 3 discs at a time instead of four from Netflix. If he will never see a fourth movie what the heck difference would it make?

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,323 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have that package too and hardly ever watch the channels I would lose but I keep it anyways.  Once in awhile I like to view cartoons on Boomerang.  I miss Cloo as well.  Wish it was still available in that package.  Ultimate Package is not something for me.  I usually have Starz and I am not willing to pay double for part of the channels just to get something like Cloo.  Not sure why they don't offer a discount to customers that sub to both the Ultimate Package and Starz.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

spam firewall