Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Primary TV Cost

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

My bill shows $6 for Primary TV.  Anyone know what that is?  Everyone has at least on TV.  Why isn't that folded into the basic program cost?

The bill actually shows $6 for Primary TV and $6 for Additional TV.  Then $6 is taken out as an adjustment leaving $6 on the bill.  This must go back to when we had two DVR's.  Now we have just one Genie and one TV.  Of course we also pay the Advance Receiver cost for the Genie.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

If you truly have 1 TV and the genie then the bill is not correct and one of the $6 charges should be removed.

If you have 2 TVs, one connected directly to the Genie and a second TV connected to the Genie using a Client ( C31 or C41 )  or an RVU TV then the bill is correct.

Give them a call and they will fix you up one way or the other.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

The reason you see the charge and credit for Primary TV is that when DirecTV changed to the leasing model some taxing jurisdictions  decided that sales tax on lease payments was due even if the payment is waived. By doing it the way they do they charge a lease, collect the sales tax, and then credit the lease payment back

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

Yes, one Genie feeding one TV in the living room.  We have no need for TV's in any other part of the house.

I think I confused myself by reading the invoice wrong.  I was charged $6 for the primary receiver, then given a $6 credit for it.  The other $6 was for the secondary receiver, which we don't have.  I think things got confused in their billing department because we used to have both an HR-22 and an HR-24 feeding the TV in the living room.  Two DVR's so we could have four record channels.  When we got the Genie, and returned the HR-22 and HR-24, I think the secondary receiver was never removed from our bill.  I will call them.

BTW, I have you beat by a year.  We started with DirecTV in 1995 with that first RCA receiver.  Lots of changes since then.

#5 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

The reason you see the charge and credit for Primary TV is that when DirecTV changed to the leasing model some taxing jurisdictions  decided that sales tax on lease payments was due even if the payment is waived. By doing it the way they do they charge a lease, collect the sales tax, and then credit the lease payment back

Thanks for the explanation.  However, I still get charged $6 for a secondary receiver when I don't have one.  I looked at my son's bill.  We have the same situation.  One Genie feeding one TV.  He has the same $6 charge for the primary receiver, with a $6 credit.  But he doesn't get billed another $6 for a secondary receiver.  I need to call them.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

Yes, one Genie feeding one TV in the living room.  We have no need for TV's in any other part of the house.

I think I confused myself by reading the invoice wrong.  I was charged $6 for the primary receiver, then given a $6 credit for it.  The other $6 was for the secondary receiver, which we don't have.  I think things got confused in their billing department because we used to have both an HR-22 and an HR-24 feeding the TV in the living room.  Two DVR's so we could have four record channels.  When we got the Genie, and returned the HR-22 and HR-24, I think the secondary receiver was never removed from our bill.  I will call them.

BTW, I have you beat by a year.  We started with DirecTV in 1995 with that first RCA receiver.  Lots of changes since then.

Yep, their commercial that used to say "it's not just TV it is DirecTV" says a lot.

A friend of mine recently switched from the other company and she says OMG it is so complicated. She has the Genie and a client and surround sound now and a new 55" LED TV. I tell her yep, you don't just have a TV anymore you have a Computerized System.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Here is the latest on my billing question.  The last invoice has apparently corrected what looked like a problem.  I didn't have to call them.

I am now paying $71.99 for Choice Xtra Classic (no longer available.)  $10 for HD programming.  $3 for whole house (for Genie), and $.51 tax for a total of $85.50.  This looks right, and I am happy with the correction.  Note that I have lifetime DVR service that was grandfathered in, so I don't pay for that.

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

You can save $1 if you change to Choice Xtra.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,309 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

You can save $1 if you change to Choice Xtra.

but saving $1 can cost the TS to lose the DVR grandfather status.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

I thought about that.  I compared the channel line-up this morning between the two trying to figure out the differences.  My program has 210 channels whereas Choice Xtra has 205.  But when I go down the lists it looks like Choice Xtra has 8 channels not included in Choice Xtra Classic which has 3 channels not included in Choice Xtra.  Yet when I click on a channel box to see the description of one not included in mine, they all say they are included in present program.  I guess I will do it anyway as it doesn't seem to affect the channels we watch.

#11 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Whoa!  Leaving it alone.

#12 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

This is incorrect.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall