Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading to genie and/or mini genie?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shorte85

shorte85

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

Hello, I am new here on the board. I have been reading around here and there. But had a couple of questions that I hope you don't mind me asking! I actually talked today to a tech rep through directv and she had mentioned that we are eligible to upgrade our boxes to the genie and mini genie because we had the protection plan. I had no idea! We have been directv customers for a little over 2 years. We didn't resign up for the 2 year contract yet, however the tech rep said that if we were to upgrade our boxes we would have to agree to signing up for another 2 years (which is no big deal).

Now I didn't really understand what she was saying and I didn't want to keep her on the phone any longer since she had helped me with the problem I was having, which was activating the box we just had replaced because the fan was really loud at times when it was running which she said was no normal. However, she said that we should only replace one of the boxes, like the HD receiver we should replace with a genie, and keep the HD whole home dvr since it was replaced just today instead of replacing both. Then she was saying that way we could record up to 7 shows at a time if we replaced the HD receiver to a genie and kept the DVR we have. Can someone explain this to us a little better? I will be calling later today about upgrading so that is why I'm asking you guys, seeing if anyone could explain it a bit better to me.

Also, my next question is.... What's the difference? Maybe that's what I should be asking instead of the above.... What's the difference in having a genie and whole home dvr box to having a genie and mini genie?

Hope what I'm asking makes sense and thanks for your help! :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:37 AM

If you have a Genie plus one DVR, you would have a total of 7 tuners, all fully available at all times. They would be able to play back recordings from the other box, but not be able to manage the other one. You would not be able to access the todo list on the Genie from the HD DVR for example.

Going to a Genie with mini client, the client has full access to the Genie, but you would have a total of 5 tuners and the client uses a tuner from the genie for live tv. Also, if the Genie ever needs replaced, the client will be useless until the replacement is in place.

I'd go Genie + HD DVR myself.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:44 AM

I don't think dpeters11's caffeine has kicked in yet. A Genie and one DVR will give you seven tuners, not nine.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

I was never very good at math. Either that or I was thinking of the mythical 7 tuner Genie :)

I corrected my original post.

#5 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hello, I am new here on the board. I have been reading around here and there. But had a couple of questions that I hope you don't mind me asking! I actually talked today to a tech rep through directv and she had mentioned that we are eligible to upgrade our boxes to the genie and mini genie because we had the protection plan. I had no idea! We have been directv customers for a little over 2 years. We didn't resign up for the 2 year contract yet, however the tech rep said that if we were to upgrade our boxes we would have to agree to signing up for another 2 years (which is no big deal).

Now I didn't really understand what she was saying and I didn't want to keep her on the phone any longer since she had helped me with the problem I was having, which was activating the box we just had replaced because the fan was really loud at times when it was running which she said was no normal. However, she said that we should only replace one of the boxes, like the HD receiver we should replace with a genie, and keep the HD whole home dvr since it was replaced just today instead of replacing both. Then she was saying that way we could record up to 7 shows at a time if we replaced the HD receiver to a genie and kept the DVR we have. Can someone explain this to us a little better? I will be calling later today about upgrading so that is why I'm asking you guys, seeing if anyone could explain it a bit better to me.

Also, my next question is.... What's the difference? Maybe that's what I should be asking instead of the above.... What's the difference in having a genie and whole home dvr box to having a genie and mini genie?

Hope what I'm asking makes sense and thanks for your help! :)

Think of a Mini-Genie as having an exact copy of the full size Genie at the TV where you put the Mini. You get to watch live TV, you can pause and rewind live TV, and you can watch anything the Genie itself has access to (recordings on the Genie, recordings from other HD DVRs, and on-demand content if you have an internet connection). Additionally, you can also manage any settings on the Genie, including scheduling recordings. The Genie has 5 tuners, and this pool of tuners is used for all the things you schedule to record on the Genie plus watching Live TV on the Genie itself and the mini. This is better than having just a plain old non-DVR HD box at that TV, because a non DVR HD box would not be able to pause live TV and you would not be able to handle scheduling recordings as easily.

Having an additional HD DVR in the mix adds two more tuners. However, these are independent from the Genie. So, you will setup a different schedule of recordings. The upside, though, is that you can view recordings from this DVR on the Genie, and you can watch recordings from the Genie on this DVR. This is almost (almost) like having another mini at this TV, but it does complicate your recordings scheduling slightly. 

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Genie = 5 Tuner DVR

HD DVR = 2 Tuner DVR

Mini-Genie (or Genie Client) = 0 tuner box that allows you to access programs from a Genie

The DirecTV rep gave you great advice.  With the Genie, you will be required to have Whole Home DVR service ($3 per month), which will allow you to view programs recorded on your Genie, or any other DVR that you have, from TV's connected in other rooms in the house.

If you get a Genie / Mini-Genie combination, you would have a total of 5 recordable tuners that can be viewed on either TV in your house.  However, if you keep your existing HD DVR and replace your non-DVR receiver with a Genie, you will have 7 recordable tuners and you can watch programs recorded by either unit on either TV in your house.  A Genie/Mini-Genie combination has the exact same monthly cost as a Genie/HD DVR combination.  So, it makes more sense to keep your HD DVR and add the Genie, rather than going with the Genie/Mini-Genie combo.

#7 OFFLINE   shorte85

shorte85

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hm, lol it's all a little confusing but I think I get it! :)

Now if I understand what your saying is that if I get rid of the HD receiver and get a genie, and have a genie + dvr I'd be able to record more and do pretty much what the hd receiver and dvr were able to do but not sure what you mean scheduling would be complicating?

Hope that makes sense of what I'm saying. LOL

#8 OFFLINE   shorte85

shorte85

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Genie = 5 Tuner DVR

HD DVR = 2 Tuner DVR

Mini-Genie (or Genie Client) = 0 tuner box that allows you to access programs from a Genie

The DirecTV rep gave you great advice.  With the Genie, you will be required to have Whole Home DVR service ($3 per month), which will allow you to view programs recorded on your Genie, or any other DVR that you have, from TV's connected in other rooms in the house.

If you get a Genie / Mini-Genie combination, you would have a total of 5 recordable tuners that can be viewed on either TV in your house.  However, if you keep your existing HD DVR and replace your non-DVR receiver with a Genie, you will have 7 recordable tuners and you can watch programs recorded by either unit on either TV in your house.  A Genie/Mini-Genie combination has the exact same monthly cost as a Genie/HD DVR combination.  So, it makes more sense to keep your HD DVR and add the Genie, rather than going with the Genie/Mini-Genie combo.

Thanks everyone for explaining this all to me!!! I believe that is what I am going to do is get the genie, and replace the hd receiver (non dvr) receiver, and I'm sure I'd be able to figure out the whole scheduling thing...

Now I'm thinking I may know what you mean by conflicting scheduling is that I can only do 5 on the genie, and 2 on the DVR... Is that what you're talking about?

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

The Genie also has an additional feature over a regular 2-tuner DVR. And that is PIP. If you're a sports fan, you will appreciate this feature.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yes That's what he is saying

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#11 OFFLINE   shorte85

shorte85

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

The Genie also has an additional feature over a regular 2-tuner DVR. And that is PIP. If you're a sports fan, you will appreciate this feature.

Ha, I'm not much of a sports fan but my husband is. So whatever the pip is, I'm sure he will enjoy. lol

Yes That's what he is saying

Okay thanks! Just as long as I can get to whatever it recording on the genie from the living room (dvr is in living room) I will be just fine, better yet maybe I will put the DVR in the bedroom and then put the genie into the living room. lol I do more recording than my husband does. HA

Also, my next question is. Since the genie is like a dvr, does that mean they will charge me an additional $3, since I will then have 2 dvr's (genie and dvr)?

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Other than Whole Home being required (one $3 fee), there is no monthly difference between a Genie and a DVR, a regular DVR and a receiver etc.

PIP is Picture In Picture.

#13 OFFLINE   shorte85

shorte85

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Okay, thanks everyone! I highly appreciate that you guys helped us out.

I hope they just send us the box, instead of sending us someone to hook it up because I'm pretty sure we'd be able to hook this up ourselves since I did the DVR myself yesterday.

Again, thanks!!! :)

#14 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Thanks everyone for explaining this all to me!!! I believe that is what I am going to do is get the genie, and replace the hd receiver (non dvr) receiver, and I'm sure I'd be able to figure out the whole scheduling thing...

Now I'm thinking I may know what you mean by conflicting scheduling is that I can only do 5 on the genie, and 2 on the DVR... Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah, so when I said scheduling would be "slightly complicated" I meant that your todo list on the genie and your todo list on the regular HD DVR are completely independent. You can record 5 things at once on the Genie and 2 things at once on the HD DVR, but they work as separate systems as far as recording is concerned. So, if your Genie wanted to record 6 things at once, something isn't getting recorded. If there is a situation that you KNOW you're going to have such a conflict, you'd have to know to schedule something on the HD DVR instead.

It's very, very unlikely that you will ever run into that problem, so don't really worry about it. Also, keep in mind that you can watch anything recorded on either DVR on any TV with the setup you're considering.

Edited by JosephB, 30 October 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   shorte85

shorte85

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, so when I said scheduling would be "slightly complicated" I meant that your todo list on the genie and your todo list on the regular HD DVR are completely independent. You can record 5 things at once on the Genie and 2 things at once on the HD DVR, but they work as separate systems as far as recording is concerned. So, if your Genie wanted to record 6 things at once, something isn't getting recorded. If there is a situation that you KNOW you're going to have such a conflict, you'd have to know to schedule something on the HD DVR instead.

It's very, very unlikely that you will ever run into that problem, so don't really worry about it. Also, keep in mind that you can watch anything recorded on either DVR on any TV with the setup you're considering.

Okay, thanks!!! :)

Thanks again everyone for helping me understand everything.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Okay, thanks everyone! I highly appreciate that you guys helped us out.

I hope they just send us the box, instead of sending us someone to hook it up because I'm pretty sure we'd be able to hook this up ourselves since I did the DVR myself yesterday.

Again, thanks!!! :)

Did you plug coax cables into both tuners on your DVR, or just one?

#17 OFFLINE   shorte85

shorte85

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

There was just one coax cable, if I'm understanding you correctly.

On an up note though, I called today renewed our contract and went ahead and upgraded our basic HD receiver to the Genie and kept out HD DVR. However, for some reason they want to put the DVR in the bedroom and put the genie in the living room. Which is fine, but why do they need to know where the receivers are? Is it that big of a deal to know exact locations?

EDIT: Also, one more question. My husband and I are not big fans of people really going into our room. So would it be a big deal if him and I were to switch the boxes location, before they showed up on Friday to install the Genie in the living room (which is where they want to put it anyways). Again, why specific locations?

Edited by shorte85, 30 October 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

There is no reason I can come up with. You already have SWM, which is single wire. The room doesn't matter.

#19 OFFLINE   shorte85

shorte85

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

Okay, because I think I may be doing that then before he shows up on Friday. That way his job gets done a bit faster rather than having to unhook a box, swap and then go in and swap another box. This way if I do this his job is already half way done and all he'd have to do is unhook one box, put in the genie and then be good! :)

Now is there a new remote for the genie, or is it the same? I've gotten quite used to the current remote I'm using so that's why I'm asking. lol

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Yes, move your boxes around before they show up. I did that recently when our bedroom DVR was being replaced. After the install is complete log into your online account and you can update the locations of the units. 

There is a new remote for the Genie. But your old one will still work. The new remote is the RC71 and there are several threads here you can read about it.

RC71_zoom.jpg

Edited by trh, 30 October 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...