Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another Sports Recording Post...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   boonie45

boonie45

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

So, I think I've gotten used to the limitations in recording sporting events with the Hopper.  Without any filters, I basically just have to accept that I'm going to get the random show NOT at all related to what I'm wanting.  What I'm running into, however, is a completely different issue.

To record Pacers basketball games, I use the following two auto-records:  "AT PACERS" and "PACERS AT".  This works pretty well to get most games.  HOWEVER - what I'm now starting to also get, is the all day "show" of "Coming Soon: Magic at Pacers".  Every time they have a game, I'm recording a 7 hour musical interlude.  Any thoughts on how to NOT record this?  On DirecTV, with Boolean, I'd just throw in a "NNOT Coming", and that would take care of it.  I can't think of anything on Dish.

Also - do the providers realize that whichever one of them creates a sports menu first, one that allows you to just tick checkboxes next to the team that you want recorded, will win the sports TV war?  Why are we still having to go through these archaic keyword recordings?!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

You are getting the 7 hour music interlude because your timer fires just before the HD channel is switched on, there is a slight delay when the switch command is sent to the satellite and a bit more when the actual channel goes live, and your DVR has already begun recording the "music" and will not change the stream it has latched onto.

You must somehow get the timer to fire a few seconds after the switch occurs, but I don't know how since Dish receiver cannot be set to start a recording 1 minute late (heaven forbid we miss that one crucial minute).

A manual timer could do this but evidently not a name based timer.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I had a similar problem recording Red Sox and Bruins games on NESN.  What I had to do was manually edit the timers so that they did NOT start "1 minute early" - which was the default setting.

Once I did that with each timer ("Red Sox at", "at Red Sox", "Bruins at" and "at Bruins"), I haven't had a single problem.

#4 OFFLINE   boonie45

boonie45

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing...

Most Pacers games, for example, are on Fox Sports Midwest, or an FSN alternate channel.  Starting at, say, 7am the day of a game, they run a "program" called "Coming Next: Pacers at Bulls" (or whatever team they are playing) as a sortof, placeholder program for that alternate channel.  My autorecord term, "Pacers at" flags this has something I "want", and records it in all of it's 12 hour glory (sometime they start the night/day before - and it will record for 20 hours+!)  My Pacers game that night still records without a problem, but now I've missed out whatever that "Coming Soon" fiasco beat out due to priority.

#5 OFFLINE   boonie45

boonie45

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Maybe my underlying question is this...for the other sports fans on here (the ones like me, that simply cannot accept losing a game!) are you recording your team(s) by using the "TEAM AT" "AT TEAM" method?  Has anyone found anything better?  This works much better with pro games that use the team "mascot" in the game description more than the city/state - than with college games that usually use the college name.  And, telling my DVR to record everything with the word "INDIANA" in it could get messy in about 4 minutes...

Edited by boonie45, 30 October 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

So, I think I've gotten used to the limitations in recording sporting events with the Hopper. Without any filters, I basically just have to accept that I'm going to get the random show NOT at all related to what I'm wanting. What I'm running into, however, is a completely different issue.

To record Pacers basketball games, I use the following two auto-records: "AT PACERS" and "PACERS AT". This works pretty well to get most games. HOWEVER - what I'm now starting to also get, is the all day "show" of "Coming Soon: Magic at Pacers". Every time they have a game, I'm recording a 7 hour musical interlude. Any thoughts on how to NOT record this? On DirecTV, with Boolean, I'd just throw in a "NNOT Coming", and that would take care of it. I can't think of anything on Dish.

Also - do the providers realize that whichever one of them creates a sports menu first, one that allows you to just tick checkboxes next to the team that you want recorded, will win the sports TV war? Why are we still having to go through these archaic keyword recordings?!

Not sure how dish does their data but on DIRECTV you'd have been better adding events not excluding coming. Maybe you can add events to the dish one if dish has all games listed as events. I'd think you'd be able to use that instead of at and get the results your after maybe.

spam firewall