Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RocketFoot

RocketFoot

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Has anyone added an external drive to their HR44 yet?  I was thinking about buying a 1TB drive and plugging it in.  Is there anything required to do so?  Will the DVR recognize the external drive?  What should I expect?

DirecTV Entertainment Package with HR44-500 Genie, Two C41-100 Mini Genies & One C31-700 Mini Genie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

The 44 already has 1TB. You can get a 3TB esata if you want, but remember it replaces your HD space and doesn't add to it.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,027 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm using one of these Thermaltake docks with a 2TB WD EURS hard drive.  Works well. 

http://www.amazon.co...hermaltake dock

Also have the same setup on an HR24-500.  Used to have it on the HR34 but put a 3TB drive inside. 

The old Antec MX-1 enclosures were popular on here for a long while due to their active cooling and compatibility but the fans go bad after a while and I've not found a replacement. 

The DVR will recognize the external eSATA drive when it comes back up following a no power condition, i.e. the DVR must be unplugged then plugged back in with the eSATA running.  The DVR will format a fresh drive.  If a drive has been used for anything else it will most likely have to be erased first. 

Note that the DVR will use either the eSATA drive or the internal but not both at the same time.  However, the existing recordings on the internal hard drive will remain and can be played by going through the power off boot with the eSATA disconnected or turned off. 

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 577 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm using a 6 year old Antec MX-1 with a 2TB WD EURS on my HR44-500.  I used the MX-1 on an HR21-700 for 6 years and it still works great.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   RocketFoot

RocketFoot

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

The 44 already has 1TB. You can get a 3TB esata if you want, but remember it replaces your HD space and doesn't add to it.

Ah, I didn't know that it was one OR the other!  I was hoping for selective access to either drive so I could store long term on the external and use the internal for daily recordings.  No big deal, 1TB should be plenty of storage for me!

DirecTV Entertainment Package with HR44-500 Genie, Two C41-100 Mini Genies & One C31-700 Mini Genie

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

Not only is it one or the other but the recordings on either drive are tied to that unit so it would only be long term storage as long as you have that specific HR44.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,979 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Right, there is no such thing as "long term storage" with DVRs.  they are either tied to your service provider, or in DirecTV's case to the receiver that made the recordings. At the end of the day, studios or networks wants you to buy the disc version if you really want to keep them "forever"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...