Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVR replaced but still working. Whole-home maybe?

Replacement Receiver ID Activation Whole-home Blocked ID Replacement receiver

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sethhardy7

sethhardy7

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi, I recently had a 799 error message on my HR21 receiver. I called support and we went through the process of resetting, removing card and resetting, and every variation in between. The receiver still wouldn't start up. It just got to 99% of software download then gave a different error message. After about an hour with support I was told I would have to have a technician come out to fix it, for which I would be charged. I scheduled it thinking it would be my only way to fix it. A few days later I got frustrated and decided to try to reset it again, and by some miracle, it worked. Don't ask how. Anyway, I called and cancelled the technician visit to avoid being charged. No problem.

A few months later(present) the same error message came up again. Thinking i could somehow repeat the miracle work I did last time I tried a few variations of card in/card out resets...no luck. I called support and was told I would have a new receiver sent to me in 2-5 business days free of charge and that my current receiver could be disposed of. While waiting for my new receiver, another miracle. The receiver I was told to discard still worked. I got the new receiver today and activated it but saw no point in throwing out an old receiver that worked, even if it was only sometimes. Now I'm thinking of using it in another room and activating whole-home. I asked the support technician if this would be possible and he said that my receiver would be unusable. He also told me to return the access card in it which was the first I had heard of that. I didn't get it in writing and never signed anything regarding the replacement so I'll take it as a polite suggestion. 

SO, my question is, can I activate this receiver on my account to get whole home? All of my other receivers are standard receivers, so activating the "broken" receiver is my only option. Does anyone know how DirecTV goes about discontinuing replaced receiver IDs? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

Well yes you can but the unit will be un replaceable if it dies for good.
Second you will need a swim set up if you don't know if you have one hit the dash button on the remote with the hd unit it will tell you swim connected out not connected.
Third you will need some deca's to get it working. And band stop filters for your sd units.
Side note if any of the sd units are silver or not directv branded our they say Sony or Philips you won't be able to get then working with a while home set up. In the tips and tricks forum here there is a fill how to guide

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,079 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

SWM isn't required for Whole Home if using the unsupported Ethernet route. And no SD box, other than the R22 would work as part of Whole Home. Not all DirecTV SD boxes are even SWM compatible, has to be a D12 or R16 or higher.

So the old box was deactivated?

#4 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Very true dpeters I forgot about the Ethernet mrv route.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

I doubt DirecTV will let this one fly.  if they do, they might have to replace the receiver again.  I will sure follow this thread...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Replacement, Receiver ID, Activation, Whole-home, Blocked ID, Replacement receiver

Protected By... spam firewall...And...