Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV to DISH network installation same dish possible

directv dish network dish network installation setup same possible

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mg170

mg170

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hi

I currently have a DirecTV dish (Slimline) with SWM5 setup. One line coming from SWM5 to splitter and from there to individual receivers and power supply.

Can I use the same setup and attach "DISH network" receivers? Probably not quiet, but what would I need to change out or add for it to work with "DISH network" receivers?

Thank you already for your information and help.

-Marc

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

A DISH dish would be a nice start.

:coffee

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Get a DISH dish. It is the best solution. Any attempt to use the DirecTV dish would require reaiming and new switches (the SWM switches do not work for DISH). You're just creating a headache trying to use the wrong company's dish. (The same goes for converting from DISH to DirecTV.)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

A new dish is part of the new customer free installation so it shouldn't be an issue unless there is some reason that it can't be changed out.  If that is the case the Dish tech will find a suitable location for their dish and install it there.

BTW welcome.

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

The Dish (dish) is a 2" mount and all the installer should need to do is replace the Dish with his (dish) on the existing  roof mount

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

The Dish (dish) is a 2" mount and all the installer should need to do is replace the Dish with his (dish) on the existing  roof mount

Sorry wrong information the DISH mount is 1 5/8 not 2" .  DISH 1000.4 or 1000.2 is a different configuration with different focal points and if you are going with a Hopper you need 2 cables to the node.  A COMPLETE REPLACEMENT!

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

He may be able to still use the coax... depending on how many receivers and what kind he has.  But I think that's the only thing he could re-use.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

He may be able to still use the coax... depending on how many receivers and what kind he has.  But I think that's the only thing he could re-use.

He states he only has 1 line from SWM so it might be usable but he will need to add a second cable to the node.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

He states he only has 1 line from SWM so it might be usable but he will need to add a second cable to the node.

Since we don't know what receivers he is installing...  he could be talking about installing a single ViP receiver, in which case he would only need the one cable.

But, likely you are correct, and he is going to install something that needs more cable too.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

if he will not do the installation himself, all the posts and the discussion are meaningless

#11 OFFLINE   RocketFoot

RocketFoot

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:12 AM

I just got Directv installed and the installer told me it was against company policy to even touch the old, unused Dish Network dish I currently have on my roof.  He elected to install the Directv dish on the opposite side of the roof.  Now I have 2 dishes on my roof...LOL!

DirecTV Entertainment Package with HR44-500 Genie, Two C41-100 Mini Genies & One C31-700 Mini Genie

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

Roof mounts are tricky. If the new installer touches the old mount and then your roof leaks who are you going to blame? The original installer or the last person to touch it?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,534 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Yep... and the companies will point fingers at each other too... Dish will say "it didn't leak until DirecTV touched it" while DirecTV will say "If it had been installed correctly by Dish then we could have removed it correctly"... so better to be safe than sorry and not touch work you didn't have a hand in yourself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: directv, dish network, dish, network, installation, setup, same, possible

spam firewall