Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local Channels when tailgating

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mmaurin

mmaurin

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLacombe, LA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

Hi, my service at home is in the 70445 zip, I tailgate at LSU in 70808.  I use an SD receiver and an 18 x 20 dish on a tripod when tailgating and have had no problem hitting the 101 satellite and getting my national channels both in the back yard in 70445 or when tailgating in 70808, but I can't get the locals.  I understand that the locals are spot beamed off the 119 satellite.  I haven't been able to get on the 119, neither in my back yard or tailgating.  Questions:  Do I need to get on the 119 to get my locals?  Is my equipment capable of getting on the 119?  When tailgating, would I be out of the New Orleans market and would Direct TV block locals when out of my service area.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Please don't hold the LSU thing against me!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,856 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

If your locals are on 119, then you do need the Phase III 18x20 inch dish properly aligned for 101, 110 and 119.

Locals are on spot beams, which means they are only available to you in your local market. Once you travel about 100 to 150 miles away from your local market, you approach the boundary of where you can receive them (the exact distance could be greater).  If your locals at 70445 are the same locals as 70808 then you should get them. If not, then probably not.

#3 OFFLINE   mmaurin

mmaurin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLacombe, LA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

Thanks Carl6, not sure what you mean by Phase III.  I know I have 3 lnb's.  Is that a Phase III ?  The description of the dish said it could get 101, 119 and 110 when I bought it.  The locals in 70808 are indeed different than the locals in 70445 (I guess Baton Rouge market vs. New Orleans Market), but I know that the Baton Rouge locals are beamed off the 119 satellite also.  Would I be able to pick up the Baton Rouge locals if I could connect to the  119 satellite when in Baton Rouge?  Thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

A Phase III (or "P.III"), is the 18' x 20" elliptical dish you have now.

And no, your tailgating setup is still tied to your home service address no matter where you travel with it, so your receiver will not be authorized to allow you access the Baton Rouge or any other out of market locals even though it can receive the spotbeam for them.

As for not being able to receive 119, make sure your receiver setup is selected on the correct dish and the dish tilt setting for the location is correct.

See dishpointer.com for Az, El. and proper tilt settings for the locale.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   mmaurin

mmaurin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLacombe, LA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Thanks very much. Yes, I believe I have the proper dish selected on the receiver. I have been able to get on the 101 satellite by just adjusting azimuth and elevation. But the screen show's big red X's under 119 and 110. I've never adjusted the tilt, and am not sure how to do this on this dish. But I will look into and try that. Thanks again.

#6 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

If New Orleans and Baton Rouge are both on 119, I am willing to venture they're both on the same beam. Sounds like an install issue rather than being outside the spot. Doubly so since I re-read your post and notice that you can't get the locals when using your tailgating setup even at your house

#7 OFFLINE   mmaurin

mmaurin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLacombe, LA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks JosephB, Yes I'm going to try adjusting tilt and see if that helps.  I'm actually going to be headed up your way next weekend to Tuscaloosa to tailgate when Bama plays LSU.  CBS is going to be carryiny the game and I was hoping to be able to pick it up with my tailgating rig.  Is Tuscaloosa in the same service area as Birminham?  I notice that your locals are beamed on the 101 satellite and since I've had no trouble getting on 101, I was hoping I'd be able to get the game.  Probably won't be able to do that either since I'm out of my service area?

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

If New Orleans and Baton Rouge are both on 119, I am willing to venture they're both on the same beam. Sounds like an install issue rather than being outside the spot. Doubly so since I re-read your post and notice that you can't get the locals when using your tailgating setup even at your house

even if the were on the same spot beam, their receivers are not authorized to receive them, so it would not matter

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks JosephB, Yes I'm going to try adjusting tilt and see if that helps.

Yes, that should help. Remember the P.III triple sat dish actually points to 110 (the center feed-horn) while receiving 101 and 119 (the two outside feed-horns) off-axis once the tilt setting is correct.

I'm actually going to be headed up your way next weekend to Tuscaloosa to tailgate when Bama plays LSU.  CBS is going to be carryiny the game and I was hoping to be able to pick it up with my tailgating rig.  Is Tuscaloosa in the same service area as Birminham?  I notice that your locals are beamed on the 101 satellite and since I've had no trouble getting on 101, I was hoping I'd be able to get the game.  Probably won't be able to do that either since I'm out of my service area?

Yes, according to the transponder maps Tuscaloosa and Birmingham are in the same market. But as peds says, it's of no use to you as your tailgating receiver is only authorized to receive the local channels serving your home market address in the 70455 zip code area even if you are under the satellite footprint of the same or another spotbeam.

Sorry;

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#10 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thanks JosephB, Yes I'm going to try adjusting tilt and see if that helps.  I'm actually going to be headed up your way next weekend to Tuscaloosa to tailgate when Bama plays LSU.  CBS is going to be carryiny the game and I was hoping to be able to pick it up with my tailgating rig.  Is Tuscaloosa in the same service area as Birminham?  I notice that your locals are beamed on the 101 satellite and since I've had no trouble getting on 101, I was hoping I'd be able to get the game.  Probably won't be able to do that either since I'm out of my service area?

Tuscaloosa is part of the Birmingham television market, so it's the same local channels. And our SD locals are on 101. Doesn't matter because no matter where you go physically, you're only going to be authorized for the locals where you actually live. The only way around it would be to get a separate RV account and then you could get NY/LA channels which are broadcast locally. I can go ahead and tell you, too, that the Baton Rouge spot will not reach all the way to Tuscaloosa, so you won't be able to pick up your Baton Rouge locals even if you straighten out your dish issue.

I'd advise you to get an OTA tuner, but Tuscaloosa is pretty far out from the transmitters in Birmingham. ABC has a translator in Tuscaloosa, but CBS does not. 

even if the were on the same spot beam, their receivers are not authorized to receive them, so it would not matter

Yes, I understand this, but he couldn't get the locals that he was supposed to get, and it was possible he was outside of the spot carrying his correct locals. He's authorized to get the Baton Rouge locals, so it would matter in that if he were tailgating in New Orleans, authorized for Baton Rouge, and they're on the same beam he should be able to get Baton Rogue while tailgating.

Edited by JosephB, 31 October 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

Yes, I understand this, but he couldn't get the locals that he was supposed to get, and it was possible he was outside of the spot carrying his correct locals. He's authorized to get the Baton Rouge locals, so it would matter in that if he were tailgating in New Orleans, authorized for Baton Rouge, and they're on the same beam he should be able to get Baton Rogue while tailgating.

As long as the TS wants to get their "authorized" locals then this is correct

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   mmaurin

mmaurin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLacombe, LA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

thanks so much everyone for your input. I'm gonna get out this weekend and test and will definitely let you know how it goes.

#13 OFFLINE   mmaurin

mmaurin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLacombe, LA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Just set up in the backyard...and in less than 5 min's was on all 3 satellites with 98-100% reception watchin the Today show and other local stuff. You guys rock!  I can't wait to get up to Baton Rouge and see if I can pick up locals.  Still a little bummed I won't be able to get the game in Tuscaloosa...Maybe I'll start looking into cellular hotspots and streaming!  Thanks again.

#14 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Good news for you, I was researching this the other day but because I could not determine which spot beam Baton Rouge was on (I thought that was your home) I did not post it. The image below is the footprint of the N. O. spot beam and there is no doubt you will pick it up in Baton Rouge.  You will also notice that the edge of the spot does cover Tuscaloosa but whether or not that would be enough signal to reliably view it I dont know.

Attached Thumbnails

• N.O. spot.jpg

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Good news for you, I was researching this the other day but because I could not determine which spot beam Baton Rouge was on (I thought that was your home) I did not post it. The image below is the footprint of the N. O. spot beam and there is no doubt you will pick it up in Baton Rouge.  You will also notice that the edge of the spot does cover Tuscaloosa but whether or not that would be enough signal to reliably view it I dont know.

He actually has the reverse problem, he is looking to pick up Baton Rouge while he's tailgating in New Orleans. Given that spot, it's still 50/50 if BR locals are on it or not. Just need to look at the transponder maps.

#16 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

He actually has the reverse problem, he is looking to pick up Baton Rouge while he's tailgating in New Orleans. Given that spot, it's still 50/50 if BR locals are on it or not. Just need to look at the transponder maps.

That is what I thought too which is why I didn't say anything yesterday but his last post said  "I can't wait to get up to Baton Rouge and see if I can pick up locals." and Lacombe, LA is directly across the lake from New Orleans. That is why I assumed his home stations were New Orleans

My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   mmaurin

mmaurin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLacombe, LA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

You right Longrider...I live in Lacombe and tailgate at LSU in Baton Rouge.  So that is great news.  Thanks so much for digging into this for me.  And that glimmer of hope in Tuscaloosa is exciting too.  So I will definitely bring the rig and try.  Will let you know how it goes.

#18 OFFLINE   mmaurin

mmaurin

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLacombe, LA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

I wanted to get back to this forum and let y'all know I was able to get all my local channels when I set up in Tuscaloosa.  Apparently being on the edge of the spot beam for the New Orleans market (like Longrider said) was just enough for the satellite rig to work like a champ.  Too bad lsu didn't play like one.  Thanks again all for your help.

#19 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Glad to hear it all worked out. 

My Setup

spam firewall