Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does Dish deliver any OTA sub-channels via satellite?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Not counting those small markets with few broadcasters where a major network happens to be carried on a sub-channel, does anyone get his Antenna TV or ME TV or whatever from a local sub-channel delivered via satellite by Dish?

I know that some Dish receivers can process OTA channels including digital sub-channels, but I'm curious about LILs, especially since OTA seems to be an afterthought these days.

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Not via satellite, no.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think in a few markets, METV is included with the line up. But in those cases, METV is run on the primary channel. Dish does not carry any sub channels per se, but they do carry some channels that are carried on subs, like PBS V-ME.  I sure wish they did carry subs as I cannot get access to Antenna TV here. METV, THIS, RTV, Movies, etc are all FTA via the big dish, which I still use for extra programming. But Antenna TV has their channel scrambled, so unless you have an OTA station running it, you are out of luck. I really want Antenna TV.

Patrick.

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

The problem is unlike V-Me, many of those subchannels have deals with the local affiliate where nearly all the advertising is sold locally.

As for true LIL subchannels, they do carry some of them for Alaska and Hawaii because of an FCC requirement.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Not counting those small markets with few broadcasters where a major network happens to be carried on a sub-channel, does anyone get his Antenna TV or ME TV or whatever from a local sub-channel delivered via satellite by Dish?

I know that some Dish receivers can process OTA channels including digital sub-channels, but I'm curious about LILs, especially since OTA seems to be an afterthought these days.

FTA Michael,

We do not carry the sub-channels but most of our receivers have the ability to connect an OTA antenna. You will then be able to scan the all the locals in that you can receive, and watch them through your DISH guide. IF you want me to check all the options for you, please PM me with the phone number.

Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,505 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

I have ONE extra subchannel carried in my market (South Bend). It is in the guide as "ESBT" and was originally a UPN affiliate. It is a subchannel of WSBT, the CBS affiliate in my market. While the UPN network went away (another station had the WB affiliation and is now the CW station) that subchannel remains on the satellite today. WSBT uses it as "SBT2" for syndicated programming.

I would not be surprised to find other examples of subchannels being transmitted via DISH that are not major networks. Apparently at the time DISH added WSBT 22 they were asked to carry the subchannel as part of the agreement and the agreement just keeps getting renewed. I wish more of the subchannels would get carriage ... but it doesn't appear anyone has pulled the right strings in a negotiation.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   JR_Baas

JR_Baas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

I have ONE extra subchannel carried in my market (South Bend). It is in the guide as "ESBT" and was originally a UPN affiliate. It is a subchannel of WSBT, the CBS affiliate in my market. While the UPN network went away (another station had the WB affiliation and is now the CW station) that subchannel remains on the satellite today. WSBT uses it as "SBT2" for syndicated programming.

I would not be surprised to find other examples of subchannels being transmitted via DISH that are not major networks. Apparently at the time DISH added WSBT 22 they were asked to carry the subchannel as part of the agreement and the agreement just keeps getting renewed. I wish more of the subchannels would get carriage ... but it doesn't appear anyone has pulled the right strings in a negotiation.

I have the same thing in the Grand Rapids, MI market.  The CW7 is a subchannel of WWMT 3.  When WWMT renewed their contract, the CW7 in SD was added to the dish lineup.

spam firewall