Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

An FYI for when you do Manual Recordings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

I had a program that was running a minute long and it interfered with the next 2 recordings that were coming up.

To remedy this I set a Manual record for the same time that the program was on and had it just run the 1 hour which would chop off that last minute and allow my next 2 programs to record. This worked for me.

However, last night the program before it ran over by 1 minute. My set 1 hour block of time still recorded.

What it did though was to pick up the name from the previous program since it was still running in the start of my time slot I had set.

I had recorded the previous program so it now looks like I have 2 of the same thing.

When I saw that I had 2 of the same thing I almost deleted one of them until it registered what had happened.

If I would have had the whole home service I could have just recorded one of the programs on the other DVR I have.

I wonder if these networks know and are intentionally doing this to mess with people that are recording their stuff ?

Edit / Add: I am looking at the Info on this recording and it shows 2 shows in the title. The first one is one minute long and the next one is 1 hour and 59 minutes. ( The second program was 2 hours this week. )

Edited by jimmie57, 31 October 2013 - 05:26 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GBFAN

GBFAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

Yes.

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

I wonder if these networks know and are intentionally doing this to mess with people that are recording their stuff ?

At first, I thought so.  However, I've heard an interview where someone "in the know" said that they do it with more popular programs in order to be able to charge more for commercials.  Say you're running a network and have two shows running back to back.  If you set the more popular show up as 1:01 and the less popular show up as 0:59, you can charge a higher rate for that extra 1 minute of commercials than you would for the exact same commercials, at the exact same time, if both shows were setup at exactly 1 hour.

Edited by Bill Broderick, 31 October 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's money no matter how you slice it. That's why a genie is so nice. Five stations at once so the 1min thing isn't really an issue anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

It's money no matter how you slice it. That's why a genie is so nice. Five stations at once so the 1min thing isn't really an issue anymore.

Agreed. Without a doubt, the single most important feature to own a genie

Edited by Datagg, 31 October 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,166 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

At first, I thought so.  However, I've heard an interview where someone "in the know" said that they do it with more popular programs in order to be able to charge more for commercials.  Say you're running a network and have two shows running back to back.  If you set the more popular show up as 1:01 and the less popular show up as 0:59, you can charge a higher rate for that extra 1 minute of commercials than you would for the exact same commercials, at the exact same time, if both shows were setup at exactly 1 hour.

That sounds logical.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Agreed. Without a doubt, the single most important feature to own a genie

I can record 6 shows at once.  I don't have a Genie.  I don't even have HD.   :raspberry

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

If it's not all on one DVR then no it's not the same.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

If it's not all on one DVR then no it's not the same.

some can argue that recording on 3 DVRs might be better than recording in one...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

some can argue that recording on 3 DVRs might be better than recording in one...

They can try all they want but their is no chance that's accurate if your sole factor is scheduling conflicts and dealing with the one min over junk. You have to do far more planning if they aren't all on one machine. ;)

#11 OFFLINE   oldanbo

oldanbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

I can record 6 shows at once.  I don't have a Genie.  I don't even have HD.   :raspberry

If you don't have HD, your post is not relevant to me.  If you do have HD capabilities why not share instead of appearing to be rude!   :coffee

spam firewall