Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver terms

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi guys, two quick questions:

1.) Does Dish automatically renew contracts for another two years when they replace a DVR?

2.) Do Dish customers actually own their DVR or are they always just leased?

I'm asking because I am a Directv customer but my parents have Dish.  Parents had a lightening surge and they needed to get a new DVR because their old one was fried.  I know that Directv renews a contract for two years any time they replace/activate a DVR regardless of the reason.  But I'm not sure what Dish's policy is.  Similarly, I know that Directv DVRs are always leased regardless of where you get it or how much you pay (that's in their terms) - but I don't know what Dish's policy is in this regard.

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,105 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

That is actually incorrect about DirecTV, and I don't think Dish is any different. If a receiver breaks, and it's replaced with the same type receiver, then no contract extension. DirecTV may charge a shipping/handling fee.

If you take the opportunity to replace the broken receiver for a different class of hardware, then both would have a contract extension. This would be replacing SD with HD, receiver for DVR, DVR for Genie, Hopper etc.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hi guys, two quick questions:

1.) Does Dish automatically renew contracts for another two years when they replace a DVR?

2.) Do Dish customers actually own their DVR or are they always just leased?

I'm asking because I am a Directv customer but my parents have Dish.  Parents had a lightening surge and they needed to get a new DVR because their old one was fried.  I know that Directv renews a contract for two years any time they replace/activate a DVR regardless of the reason.  But I'm not sure what Dish's policy is.  Similarly, I know that Directv DVRs are always leased regardless of where you get it or how much you pay (that's in their terms) - but I don't know what Dish's policy is in this regard.

Thanks in advance!

dueport,

When the receiver you have is determined to be defective, and you need a replacement DISH DVR receiver, it will not extend your agreement with us. If you upgrade your DISH receiver, it will restart a new 24 month agreement. Unless you buy the receiver outright, it will be leased equipment and will need to be returned.

#4 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

thanks to both for the clarification.  So with Dish you can actually own the receiver? I know that with Directv you cannot regardless of what you've paid and where you've paid it for a receiver (a frustrating provision to be sure)

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,105 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

It is possible to buy a DirecTV receiver as well. Some are much easier than others (Genie being probably the most difficult, but it is possible.) That's one that you can't buy outright from DirecTV and very few owned ones come up for sale. But I've known at least 2 to be sold on here.

#6 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

The misconception about DirecTV being a new 2year extension is likely because a new lease agreement is signed when boxes are swapped out on service calls. This signature is only to confirm that you understand that the box is leased and doesn't belong to you and doesn't mean you're in for another 2 years.

#)

#)

#7 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

You may purchase equipment with Dish, but that doesn't mean you won't pay the additional outlet (or lease fee) for 2nd & subsequent receivers on the account.  There are a few reasons to purchase such as being able to pause your account and some others, but for most you might as well just lease as the monthly cost is the same.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...