Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coast to Coast in 29 Hours

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

From Daily Mail: Coast to Coast in under 29 hours: Mercedes CL driver sets new record by averaging 98mph in car he spent months fitting with gadgets to keep eye out for police

Don't think I need to quote from the actual article 

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

So did their friends who were 150 miles ahead also break the record. :). Never saw the movie but have heard of it.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 31 October 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

article-0-1916C3E000000578-936_634x468.j

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

OK, we have not one, but THREE GPS systems. Plus, isn't the iPad and iPhone GPS capable also?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#5 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

I hope the coverage of this 'event' doesn't inspire a bunch of yahoos trying to beat the 'record'. Already enough idiots on the road.

#6 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

I hope the coverage of this 'event' doesn't inspire a bunch of yahoos trying to beat the 'record'. Already enough idiots on the road.

I was thinking about that. One hundred miles a hours seen like the next thing. As for idiots the world is full of them.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

OK, we have not one, but THREE GPS systems. Plus, isn't the iPad and iPhone GPS capable also?

As the iOS version of multitasking is really more of a task switcher with limited background services, it can't display real-time GPS data and some other app at the same time.

Gesturing at 100mph+ is not something you want to be engaging in when you need to be looking out for idiot drivers and Smokey.
  • Laxguy likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

The built in GPS on Mercedes' is already very good, but it would seem for this type of driving, you'd need less GPS and more scanners, radar and radar detection.

For my record attempt, I'll hire a couple of light aircraft to check on "conditions".

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

I would imagine that you would need at least three GPS units each working on different routes to make sure you have a couple of alternatives at all times.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Headline should read: "Speeding Motorist Endangers Lives Across America"

Idiot :down:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Headline should read: "Speeding Motorist Endangers Lives Across America"

Idiot :down:

Along with "egotistical *******". Shoot! Got edited out. The French word is "batârd"....

I do wonder what his top speeds were, if the average was just under a hundred. 

Also wonder if he'll receive citations from any and all states he flew through. 

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

People should READ the linked article ...

Max speed registered on GPS was 158mph. They were moving for 28hrs 4min and stopped for 46min. 2813.7 miles.
There was a co-driver ... and assistance from friends scouting the roads ahead.

I'd like to see the GPS track and a speeding ticket issued for each location where the vehicle was over the limit. But with two drivers which one would get each ticket? In states where the registered owner of the car could receive the ticket they could ticket the owner but otherwise they would need to identify the driver.

I'm glad he didn't kill anyone and hope anyone who is stupid enough to attempt to beat the "record" is stopped early.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

People should READ the linked article ...Max speed registered on GPS was 158mph. They were moving for 28hrs 4min and stopped for 46min. 2813.7 miles.There was a co-driver ... and assistance from friends scouting the roads ahead.I'd like to see the GPS track and a speeding ticket issued for each location where the vehicle was over the limit. But with two drivers which one would get each ticket? In states where the registered owner of the car could receive the ticket they could ticket the owner but otherwise they would need to identify the driver.I'm glad he didn't kill anyone and hope anyone who is stupid enough to attempt to beat the "record" is stopped early.

Amen.

#14 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

I can't imagine there was any location where he was within the speed limit, except momentarily during deceleration into a pit stop and roaring away from same. Oh, and while crawling through traffic in Manhattan....

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

Did he go through Montana or Texas? Montana still doesn't have a speed limit does it? And Texas, have they opened up that freeway with 90 mph speed limit yet? I think they have one with a 85 right now already.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

Did he go through Montana or Texas? Montana still doesn't have a speed limit does it? And Texas, have they opened up that freeway with 90 mph speed limit yet? I think they have one with a 85 right now already.

google maps suggests either I-80 or I-40. Neither are anywhere near Montana, but I-40 goes through the Texas panhandle.

Drive time is between 40 & 41 hrs.

A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

There used to be a race across country that was covered yearly in the car magazines. It was about a 3000 mile race from New York to Washington (the state). I remember, ages ago, when Dan Guerney and his team set a new record of 33+ hours in a Ferrari. I haven't heard about this race in a long time so it was probably canned for safety concerns.

#18 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 477 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

There used to be a race across country that was covered yearly in the car magazines. It was about a 3000 mile race from New York to Washington (the state). I remember, ages ago, when Dan Guerney and his team set a new record of 33+ hours in a Ferrari. I haven't heard about this race in a long time so it was probably canned for safety concerns.

Yeah, that was the original Cannonball race.  Dan Gurney and Brock Yates in a Ferrari Daytona.  It wasn't to Washington State, it was the same as the recent record run, from the Red Ball Garage in NYC to the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, California.

It seems like a lot of the people on this thread, and maybe the journalists too, don't quite understand that this is not any kind of legally sanctioned event.  Never has been legal.  Never will be legal.  The original race was intended, in part, to be a giant raised scofflaw middle finger aimed at the Ralph Naders and Joan Claybrooks of the world.  That spirit continues whenever someone breaks the unofficial record.  Unofficial, because there never was really anything "official" about it..

#19 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

People should READ the linked article ...

Max speed registered on GPS was 158mph. They were moving for 28hrs 4min and stopped for 46min. 2813.7 miles.

I did read it, saw the stats,  and should have phrased my question as "I wonder what the maximum sustained speed was, say over a 25 mile or 30 minute stretch." 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...