Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BENEFITS OF BROADBAND

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RG6-Q

RG6-Q

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPUERTO RICO

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hello Guys:

I recently plugged my CATV DSL to my Ethernet Port on my Router.  Now I get phone line and broadband connected on my  counters.  I have just about every package E* has to offer.  I don't like watching contents on my cel phone or computer.  I rather go the full splendor of watching on my very good HDTV and I don't want everyone in the house left and right downloading.  I do not have the BB package since in our area they are not available in HD for the most part.

To make it short, are there any benefits in having it connected for the reasons stated above,  I already have phone lines connected on all receivers so is there anything I might be missing??????  

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Some channels you subscribe to with your programming package provide On Demand content you can view from your receiver.  You can also order PPV with the broadband or phone line connection.  Thanks.

Hello Guys:

I recently plugged my CATV DSL to my Ethernet Port on my Router.  Now I get phone line and broadband connected on my  counters.  I have just about every package E* has to offer.  I don't like watching contents on my cel phone or computer.  I rather go the full splendor of watching on my very good HDTV and I don't want everyone in the house left and right downloading.  I do not have the BB package since in our area they are not available in HD for the most part.

To make it short, are there any benefits in having it connected for the reasons stated above,  I already have phone lines connected on all receivers so is there anything I might be missing??????  

• RG6-Q likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

Look what Comcast new rip off tactics  http://www.clarkhowa...t-servic/nbqR2/

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

Yes, they recently scrambled all channels at my apartment complex. I guess most people already had boxes, but I used my Samsung's capability to receive their standard local package that's free to the residents untill they really scrambled it. Now I have a crappy little unit that does pull in those limited channels.... in SD! What a ripoff. But I have satellite at my house, and AppleTV at the apartment, so comcrap can take a hike. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Out here is rural Oregon, we only have three choices for high speed, satellite, cel tower, or cable. There is no DSL. So far Charter Cable is unlimited. I took their phone and internet, but I kept Dish as their offerings are much better than Charter, but I did get the discount for having a bundle of the 2 out of 3. I am paying for the first year $60 monthly for phone and internet. Phone is $19.95 and the internet is $39.95. The internet goes to $49.95 a month after the first year. I hope Comcast does not start a trend. In the cities, people do have a choice and DSL is available. Maybe not as fast, but available. Out here, so far it isn't available.

#6 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hello Guys:

With the phone line connected you can have Caller ID.  With broadband connected your receivers "phone home" daily and Dish will know if a problem develops.  I once had a service call generated by a receiver.

#7 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

The 19 most hated company's in America 3 out of top 5 r cable company's http://www.clarkhowa...-america/nDFB4/

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

OMG! DISH is number 18.... 

#9 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:17 AM

You can connect to your receiver through the internet and schedule recordings.  There have been times when I've been travelling and seen an interesting TV show advertised or playing in the background.  I go onto the dish web site and schedule a timer.  When I return home, the program is waiting for me.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

You can connect to your receiver through the internet and schedule recordings.  There have been times when I've been travelling and seen an interesting TV show advertised or playing in the background.  I go onto the dish web site and schedule a timer.  When I return home, the program is waiting for me.

Is it certain that the receiver needs to be internet connected in order to set a recording via the internet? It'd be possible for the info to be relayed via sat., but this is a question, not a statement!

#11 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Yes it works through the internet.  If your receivers are broadband connected, you can do all this from your phone with the Dish Anywher App.

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

Yes it works through the internet.  If your receivers are broadband connected, you can do all this from your phone with the Dish Anywher App.

So, you are sure that the receiver has to be connected, that there's no chance the signal to record can be relayed via sat.?

#13 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

Of course it is technically possible for Dish to send a record signal to individual receivers via the satellite.  A few times a year my receiver records some junk commercials.  Dish probably spams all the receivers with a recording instruction, but it's the same idea.

However, I went to the dish anywhere page and got "Your DISH receiver must be online to access this feature" when I tried to program a disconnected receiver.  I think they do require an internet connection.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

Many thanks! I am not able to test such, so I really appreciate the info. 

#15 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Dish has control of what they send down via satellite, you do not.

You can only communicate with your receiver away from home via internet, there is no path through any satellite

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

No one I read suggested that. Why the comment? 

You can only communicate with your receiver away from home via internet, there is no path through any satellite

I get that there is not, but certainly there could be. 

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Well, Directv does as well, but their scheduler works via sat by sending a signal through the sat stream to our receivers if we are out of home so it will always work even if your not connected to the internet.  SO I have a feeling he was curios like me if Dish did the same.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...