Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 problem?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

I am trying to figure out whether I have a problem with my HR24 or whether something else is going on.

Here is what I am observing. I am tuned in to a particular channel.  Occasionally I will then see a quick dark screen, as if the channel is being changed, and then the channel I was tuned to re-appears.  It is behaving like I changed the channel, but the remote has been sitting untouched on the table.  

Any thoughts? Something going bad with my HR24?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

How is your HR24's video OUT connected to your HDTV?   HDMI cable?  This could be an HDMI handshake issue.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

How is your HR24's video OUT connected to your HDTV?   HDMI cable?  This could be an HDMI handshake issue.  

HDMI.  I've had it connected this way for quite a while. Only recently has it been happening.  

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,501 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

Some things to try ...

• Reset the HR24
  • Verify that the HDMI cable is snug at both ends.
  • Try a different HDMI cable.  
  • Try using Component Video cables (red, blue, green RCA cables) instead of HDMI.  See if that makes a difference.  
  • In the HR24's HDTV/Video Setup Menu, disable "Native Resolution" and set the Video Output Resolution to a fixed 1080i (check only the 1080i box). This will feed the HDTV with a constant 1080i resolution regardless of the channel's native resolution.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

How often is this happening?

I've seen the same thing "every once and a while", where the DVR "for no good reason" drops the tuner and re-tunes to the same channel.

"It sucks" if you happen to be in the buffer and behind "live TV".

I "lost" 7 laps of the last F1 race when this happened, while another DVR recorded the race and didn't have the problem.

A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

How often is this happening?

I've seen the same thing "every once and a while", where the DVR "for no good reason" drops the tuner and re-tunes to the same channel.

"It sucks" if you happen to be in the buffer and behind "live TV".

I "lost" 7 laps of the last F1 race when this happened, while another DVR recorded the race and didn't have the problem.

It happens every once in a while and was not happening before, only recently. It sounds like I am experiencing the same thing as you.  It will drop the tuner and re-tune to the same channel.  

#7 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Have started seeing something similar, but I watch so little live tv that it happens for me when playing back a recorded program.  If I rewind and play through the section again, it plays through ok.   So, I suspect it to be some sort of an intermittent HDMI problem in my case.

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Have started seeing something similar, but I watch so little live tv that it happens for me when playing back a recorded program.  If I rewind and play through the section again, it plays through ok.   So, I suspect it to be some sort of an intermittent HDMI problem in my case.

I'd agree as when "this happens" it will split the recording into two, as I was recording while watching the same channel this last time.

A.K.A VOS

spam firewall