Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD add on package question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Was just wondering if any DISH subscribers with packages besides Smart Pack that have channels available in HD, and the HD add on, have some channels not in HD ?

For instance, I have Smart Pack on DISH (hey, I have DirecTV too, don't need America's 250, LOL!) and I get the HD bump for auto bill pay, and most of the channels I get in Smart Pack that have an HD version I get, EXCEPT Fox News, which is on in SD.

Just think it is a little weird to have an HD version of a channel in my programming package available, and the HD add on, but to not receive it.

Are there other examples at the other tiers of service ?

Like I said, it just seems weird, LOL!

:eek2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

Here we go, found another example:

I have a commercial install client called and has been annoyed with picture quality on his DISH system.  I went and added a 4 way HDMI adapter and put 4 TVs that were on the mirror system on 'real' HD.

Or so I thought.

With weather and some family issues, I wasn't able to get back after client called and said picture is still lousy.  I suggested having DISH roll a truck and that's what happened.

Tech checked dish alignment, receiver settings, and mirror system. (that last task without enthusiasm, I heard,  LOL).  Tech really didn't really find anything amiss, and reported as much to the owner.  Owner took remote and flipped around, on on of the HDMI wired sets, and went to ESPN, and said, this is what I'm talking about.  Tech agreed picture "sucked".  He called DISH, and found out in the commercial package (I think it is Chinese Basic or International Basic) with the HD add on package, he still DOESN'T get ESPN (or any in that group, BTW) in HD.

At least we found out what the problem is.  

Anyhow, to fix this problem is another $30/month.  Problem is, since starting off with just the original basic package, he has had to add several more packages (Big10? and some others) that the cost per month is way more than what it started out at.

He is checking competition, local cable and D*, but I have a feeling he will find similar cost regardless.  

I still think it's odd an add on HD package would not HD all the channels in a given package that are possible, but as we have noted here before, I have some mighty peculiar ideas about how business should work.

:eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

If you are regularly getting ANY satellite channels in HD (Beyond the locals or freeview) in either the Smart package or Welcome package you are ahead of the game. DISH does not offer channels in HD in those packages. So you are getting more than you should, not less.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

As I noted, I added the HD add on package.  (so did business customer) But the HD add on package doesn't HD all the HD channels available in the base package.

That's the part I find weird.

Like on my Smart Pack, FNC is available in SD along with DIY.  If you purchase the HD bump, they provide DIY in HD, but not FNC, it's still only on in SD.  Not HD.  Even though I opted for the HD bump, FNC still isn't in HD.

I might call DISH and ask how to do that, LOL.

#5 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

With Welcome and Smart Packs there is no upgrade to HD it is only available as SD

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Correct and what I am saying. There is no such thing as an HD add on for those two packages. Call DISH and you might just lose whatever else you have in HD other than locals.

Edited by tampa8, 10 January 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

I just wonder sometimes if we had todays TV providers back in the 1950's would we be charged a fee to watch TV in color.. 

• Grampa67 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

Yes!

spam firewall