Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2 year contract to switch calling plans?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

My friend has US Cellular. He's not under a contract. He had the 450 mins a month calling plan, and wanted to upgrade to unlimited mins. The only way they'd allow him to do it was to agree to a 2 year contract. Is this normal?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Looks that way:

From the US Cellular web site:

Things We Want You To Know

A new agmt. with a 2-yr. initial term (subject to a pro-rated $150 early termination fee for basic phones, modems and hotspot devices and a $350 early termination fee for smartphones and tablets) and credit approval required for all new lines. The Customer Service Agreement Terms and Conditions apply for as long as you are a customer. A $35 activation fee may apply. Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee of $1.57 applies; this is not a tax or government required charge. Additional fees, taxes, terms, conditions and coverage areas apply and may vary by plan, service, and phone. Use of service constitutes acceptance of the terms of our Customer Service Agreement. U.S. Cellular reserves the right to terminate your service if more than 50% of your overall minutes in each of three consecutive billing cycles are used in U.S. Cellular's non-licensed markets. U.S. Cellular reserves the right to terminate your service if more than 200 MB of your data usage in any month is used in U.S. Cellular's non-licensed markets.

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

Was he also getting a new phone with that plan ? If so, the new phone would be the reason for the new contract.

If not, I would not change. Maybe change companies.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

No new phone. Just switching plans.

#5 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

If you are looking at the shared data plans with unlimited everything

http://www.uscellula...ml&parent=plans

8) I am a current customer, and I am under contract. Do I need to sign another 2-year contract when I migrate to a new Shared Data Plan?

Yes, you must sign a new 2-year commitment when migrating to a Shared Data Plan.

9) I am a current customer who has already fulfilled my 2-year contract, and now I am month-to-month. Do I need to sign another 2-year contract when I migrate to a new Shared Data Plan?

Yes, you must sign a new 2-year commitment when migrating to a Shared Data Plan.

Edited by wingrider01, 02 November 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

He didn't move to the shared plan either. He only has one phone. I think it's very weird, and wrong. I don't think he should have done it. I think he should have gone with Verizon prepaid unlimited for $50 a month but he doesn't want prepaid.

#7 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

He didn't move to the shared plan either. He only has one phone. I think it's very weird, and wrong. I don't think he should have done it. I think he should have gone with Verizon prepaid unlimited for $50 a month but he doesn't want prepaid.

looking at the plans on the website it appears the only plans that offer unlimited talk and text are the shared data plans, cannot find a individual plan that offers both unlimited minutes and texting

http://www.uscellula...e=plans#listing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...