Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Weather Channel to Relaunch Nov 11 with Weather All the Time

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:28 AM

Good they used to always be WEATHER ALL THE TIME!!!!!! (It was stupid when they started adding all that crap!!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

True. The same for The Nashville Network, and Country Music TV. Not much music on these channels. At least when there s we ere wether The Weather Channel had continuous weather.

#63 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Still no LOT8 for me.  :-(  I used to not too long ago but lately, my DVR's not showing locals.

#64 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

I hope any one who missed the posts will try the TV apps for Weather, the ones now in HD. Pretty sweet. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#65 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

I hope any one who missed the posts will try the TV apps for Weather, the ones now in HD. Pretty sweet.

But not everybody have their receiver Internet connected, so either the interactive app using the red button on The Weather Channel or try the active button and see a quick glance of their local 5-day forecast, assuming that they entered their zip code on the weather menu under "add a city or zip code". But if they do then right arrow on the remote.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#66 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Very good point; I overlooked that entirely. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#67 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

The FiOS is updated, but only on the SD feed. Makes it kind do useless. Weatherscan is also unchanged.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

DirecTV customer since 1996

#68 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

The Weather Channel had been advertising about getting a new set to broadcast their weather I formation on. Why did The Weather Channel bother. There is much less live weather reporting since the launch in November.

The Weather Channel in far from being as good as it nice was.

#69 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

But not everybody have their receiver Internet connected, so either the interactive app using the red button on The Weather Channel or try the active button and see a quick glance of their local 5-day forecast, assuming that they entered their zip code on the weather menu under "add a city or zip code". But if they do then right arrow on the remote.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

So that red button works on non internet connected receivers?  I guess that data comes from the satellite?  If so, I don't see why they couldn't put it in HD.  The icons and all proper framework would be built into the DirecTV receiver software image.  That same xml data from the transponder would just tell the software how to format those high resolution new weather channel graphics.  Either something proprietary like that, or build the red button weather as an HTML5 app using an XML data source which is cycled through the transponder.  Then the receiver can display the exact same lot8's that cable does, its just the receiver does all the drawing.  Maybe the animations wouldn't be as flashy in current generation IRD's but future generations may have the horsepower for active OpenGL like smooth animated graphics.  That sure would save tons of cost (and bandwidth) in deploying Spot Beams.  Weatherscan could be accomplished the same way (though most likely future generation receivers that can have smooth scrolling animated graphics like at the bottom of weatherscan. 

Edited by cypherx, 02 December 2013 - 06:56 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#70 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

Is everyone liking the new format? I don't like all the graphics on the screen, it makes the main picture smaller. With all the technology they have nowadys is it necessary to have all this information on the screen?

#71 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

With all the technology they have nowadys is it necessary to have all this information on the screen?

Yes. Without the information on the screen people might as well go to the technology and not watch the channel. The channel is worth less when it is not giving out weather information. Putting the information on screen restores the primary reason why people tune to that channel - to get the weather.

There are people who would tune in for shows about the weather - and not care about current forecast and conditions - but the main thing is the main thing. Forecasting and conditions are the major reason for the channel's existence. They need to show current weather information.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#72 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

The "new retooled" doesn't make it for me. I like the old when they just did weather...and it was even better when they didn't have any commercials. If they want to run all those "storm story" "prospectors" fillers they should consider a sub channel for those not looking for weather info. Weather Nation isn't going to fill that gap...it's a 1st class joke. Perhaps WeatherUnderground will one day give The Weather Channel some real competition.

#73 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Perhaps WeatherUnderground will one day give The Weather Channel some real competition.

The Weather Channel purchased Weather Underground last year:
http://www.wundergro...annel-companies

As for WeatherNation, it's availability was limited to subchannels in select markets and an online stream. Now that DirecTV is going to carry it they'll have a national presence with 20 million or so additional subscribers, depending on what package it ends up in, which means more revenue so they can improve their quality and hire better talent.

Edited by KyL416, 07 December 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#74 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Is everyone liking the new format? I don't like all the graphics on the screen, it makes the main picture smaller. With all the technology they have nowadys is it necessary to have all this information on the screen?

No I hate the new format. It was bad enough before when there was not much live weather forcastung now there is much less.

#75 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Yes. Without the information on the screen people might as well go to the technology and not watch the channel. The channel is worth less when it is not giving out weather information. Putting the information on screen restores the primary reason why people tune to that channel - to get the weather.

There are people who would tune in for shows about the weather - and not care about current forecast and conditions - but the main thing is the main thing. Forecasting and conditions are the major reason for the channel's existence. They need to show current weather information.

What gets me is the weather related shows on The Weather Channel are like repeats. DISH should carry WEATHERNATION. That is a true weather information channel.

Edited by SeaBeagle, 08 December 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#76 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

With all the technology they have nowadys is it necessary to have all this information on the screen?

No and its worse than it was before!!!!!!! (And still doesnt have ALL WEATHER!! (Its the same as it was BEFORE 11/11))

#77 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

What gets me is the weather related shows on The Weather Channel are like repeats. DISH scoukd carry WEATHERNATION. That is a true weather information channel.

DirecTV is apparently planning on carrying WeatherNation ... unless the uplink is a ploy to force The Weather Channel to get their act together. DISH did that a couple of years ago and got The Weather Channel to back away from airing movies with loose connections to weather (Twister made sense, but The Avengers had weather control as a weapon). If DirecTV adds WeatherNation I hope they keep it ... regardless of what happens with TWC.

Full screen weather 24/7 with no programs about weather does not mean more live studio time. It is easy to record a couple of hours and play it on a loop. Even done live a weathercast is fairly repetitive. The forecasts don't change that much hour to hour. And they can always go live when they need to count down the minutes to landfall with a hurricane or cover a major weather event.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#78 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

Full screen weather 24/7 with no programs about weather does not mean more live studio time. It is easy to record a couple of hours and play it on a loop. Even done live a weathercast is fairly repetitive. The forecasts don't change that much hour to hour. And they can always go live when they need to count down the minutes to landfall with a hurricane or cover a major weather event.

While I don't disagree completely, you do have to take into account things like radar.  If TWC is showing a 2-3 hour old radar image because they're looping pre-recorded programming, they'll lose all credibility (if they haven't already by naming winter storms).

#79 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

I agree - standing in front of a radar image then reusing that clip for hours is bad. Radar could be shown in voiceovers with the image shown live even if the voiceover is reused. It can be done without any big red flags such as standing a person in front of the radar. (One could probably update the radar behind the person, but with the current trend of using video walls instead of green screen that is not as easy as it was.)

#80 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

DirecTV is apparently planning on carrying WeatherNation ... unless the uplink is a ploy to force The Weather Channel to get their act together. DISH did that a couple of years ago and got The Weather Channel to back away from airing movies with loose connections to weather (Twister made sense, but The Avengers had weather control as a weapon). If DirecTV adds WeatherNation I hope they keep it ... regardless of what happens with TWC.

Wait dish single handed my stopped the weather channel from doing that? I must have missed that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...