Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Win 8.1, IE 11, and editing

IE 11 Win 8.1 Paste quote

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

With Windows 8.1 and IE 11 it doesn't seem possible to Paste into the edit fields anymore.   This also blocks Quoting Replies from working.

Tried adding compatibility for the site, but didn't seem to help.   Any ideas barring "Install Chrome or Firefox?"   I'd read on another forum that site software had needed to be updated to work with 8.1.  (This is one of few sites having problems, not all sites.)

Edited by koralis, 03 November 2013 - 08:45 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hi...Their is an update than needs to be applied that may solve this, but we also need to make some other changes to the theme to support it.  So once we can get it the update installed, I hope this helps your issue.  (Thus the issues with sites needing to support so many different browsers, with MS being the hardest.)

• Dude111 likes this

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#3 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 612 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Ok I am having problems with 8.1 and IE 11 getting chat to work.....I assume same problem as above?

HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#4 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Ok I am having problems with 8.1 and IE 11 getting chat to work.....I assume same problem as above?

I would not assume that as chat can surely have it's own issues with browsers.  IE seems to have more issues than most in that regard.   We however will know soon as we are just about ready to run the update to the site.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#5 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Ok, site has now been updated.  Hope this helps the browser issue.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#6 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Nope.  Still can't paste into the edit control.

#7 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

Nope.  Still can't paste into the edit control.

Finally got annoyed enough to install firefox.   Good job MS... way to drive people to your competition!    This appears to have something to do with IE 11's new Paste code... allows pasting of images as HTML and HTML lists.

Other users had noted that copying out of IE11 and pasting into Word wasn't possible with a simple Paste, they had to use "Paste Special" and select Text as the type in order to do it... so I'd say that Text in the clipboard is now in a container object that Paste-recipient controls need to be able to process.  I know you don't do the coding directly, but you might want to pass it up the line so that you can still get a fix going.

#8 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 612 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

Chat still does not work. Says it needs to run add on, active x www.addonchat.com/404html, but when I say yes it fails every time. Chrome works.

HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#9 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

I would have to say these are MS issues seeing other browsers work.  Not sure anything would be done to fix it for them.  IE is 3rd place on this site with Chrome and then Safari being 1st and 2nd.  It is amazing that a browser that is installed with the OS and has the largest install based gets beat by even other OS installed browser (Safari.)   (Thought not by much.)

Will have to see if Invision (Maker of this software) does anything about the cut and paste. 

As far as the chat issue, you may care to see the thread on chat.  http://www.dbstalk.c...om-java-issues/

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#10 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

I wonder if thats because IE is used more than other browsers Dave??

It would be interesting seeing the browser LOGS here,could you (or would you) have a look @ how many of each browser version visits this site and list it?? (It would be interesting)
'

I dunno if my browser would show (MyIE2) because I have its ID disabled in my user string (All you will see is 'IE6' in the log (I THINK)) - I dont know what my string actually looks like,would be neat seeing that also!!

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

I would have to say these are MS issues seeing other browsers work.  Not sure anything would be done to fix it for them.  IE is 3rd place on this site with Chrome and then Safari being 1st and 2nd.  It is amazing that a browser that is installed with the OS and has the largest install based gets beat by even other OS installed browser (Safari.)   (Thought not by much.)

Will have to see if Invision (Maker of this software) does anything about the cut and paste. 

As far as the chat issue, you may care to see the thread on chat.  http://www.dbstalk.c...om-java-issues/

I agree David. Am still having the issues I reported with Internet Explorer 11. Microsoft has a history of proving the theory that newer isn't always better. Gives new meaning to the phrase "Google is your friend!"

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#12 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

As mentioned above, IE is the 3rd most used browser on this site...

Attached File  screenshot_629.png   32.66KB   4 downloads

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#13 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

Wow thats quite alot for IE!!!!!!!!!

Thanx for the list Dave :) (Im amazed)

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:08 AM

Id guess that is inflated by the number of people who have no choice of browser to use while they are at work. If they wherent forced to use it, I bet itd be less than safari.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

Id guess that is inflated by the number of people who have no choice of browser to use while they are at work. If they wherent forced to use it, I bet itd be less than safari.

you mean "much less" since it already is...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

When it comes to the chat issue, that boils down to issues with the provider of the chat software. (I'm not trying to pass the buck, only explain.) We decided not to use this site's built-in chat feature because it was not robust enough, and so we went back to the service we used before the site redesign. It's primarily java-based and has a fallback mode that is designed mostly for mobile devices.

I believe the Windows issue is caused by some incompatibilities with ActiveX (a mostly-discredited competitor to Java, used by IE in the 2000s.) Have you tried the HTML5 version? It's not as robust but I think it works with more or less all browsers now:

http://client0.addon...d=42584&lang=en
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall