Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving and want to make sure this will work...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marino13

Marino13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

My current setup which has been purring along with no problems is as follows...

2 - H-25's

3 - HR-20 700's

1 - HR-20 100

SWM16

Wired CCC

MRV's using DECA modules on each HR-20 and the second input and BSF hooked up on the HR-20 100

I sold my house and we are temporarily moving into a rental house until we find a new home.

In the rental house I will be going from the 6 receivers I use now down to 4.  Here are my idea's for the rental house...

I want to disconnect the 2 H-25's from service.  I want to replace one of the HR-20's (preferably the 100) with a Genie.  I then want to replace the other 3 HR-20's with the most current HDDVR (HR24?).  I do not really want to have any clients hooked up to the Genie.  My only "must" is that I must be able to share playlists between all of the DVR's (including the Genie) through Whole Home Service.  Should this work how I want it to?  I have been told by an installer that the Genie will not be compatible with anything except for the clients but that seems to be incorrect.  Also, I really don't want to pay anything for this.  Is that reasonable these days?  My account shows that I am eligible for an upgrade due to having the protection plan.  Also, I believe some of this would be free by taking advantage of the movers deal.  I have been a customer for over 13 years and have had the Sunday Ticket every year.  My contract is up in the beginning of December but I will need this done by Thanksgiving.  If I have to keep 3 of the HR-20's I will but since I no longer need the OTA I don't really want to keep them.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Disconnecting the H25s should be no problem, but they will have to be returned as they are leased (you'll have to pay to replace them later if you want to add them back in).

Upgrading one of the HR20's to a Genie should be no problem. But if you are still under contract you may not get a free upgrade. The only way to guarantee which Genie (HR34 or HR44) you get is to buy/lease from a third party vendor.

It will cost you probably $199 each to upgrade HR20's to HR24's, and you really won't get any benefit from doing so.  The only way you can guarantee getting an HR24 is to buy them (lease them) from a third party vendor such as Solid Signal. DirecTV does not guarantee any particular model, only an "HD DVR" which includes the HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23, and HR24.  They are all considered equal.

Whole home will work between any/all of the above.

#3 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

What he said. But regarding the hr20s, you might be able to convince ($) the installer that they're bad and need to be replaced.

#)

#)

#4 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

One thing to consider, those HR20s may now be classified as being OWN instead LEASED.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   Marino13

Marino13

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Is there an easy way to find out if my HR-20's are owned or leased? Or, do I have to call them?

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

My experience has been that if your contract ends in early December and you want to move in late-Nov, they will probably treat you out of contract.

How long do you plan on being in the rental? With the Mover's plan, you get one 'free' move in a 12-month period. Although a second move within that 12 month doesn't cost a lot of money.

DirecTV is really pushing the Genie. New subscribers can get a Genie and up to 3 clients free. But select an HD DVR and they are charging $199 (online). So to expect a Genie and 3 upgraded DVRs for free is probably a stretch.

Having said all that, you'll never know until you call.  Stranger things have happened. It all depends on who you talk too.

Good luck.

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Is there an easy way to find out if my HR-20's are owned or leased? Or, do I have to call them?

Call and ask to find out the exact date you're out of your contract (even if you know). You'll soon be talking to someone who wants you to stay and will probably start throwing offers your way.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Call and ask for the access card dept and they can look. I would not trust anyone else. And just because they are HR20 and not collecting doesn't mean they have made then owned from what I have seen. They just don't want them back anymore I believe.

The good part about that is to can activate or deactivate at will (guests go a few weeks?). And also you can have a spare waiting to go if one breaks at a bad time.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

One thing to consider, those HR20s may now be classified as being OWN instead LEASED.

only if they are replaced as defective by ERP and not a tech.  and they are still leased but will be EOL which is not recoverable.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

My experience has been that if your contract ends in early December and you want to move in late-Nov, they will probably treat you out of contract.

How long do you plan on being in the rental? With the Mover's plan, you get one 'free' move in a 12-month period. Although a second move within that 12 month doesn't cost a lot of money.

DirecTV is really pushing the Genie. New subscribers can get a Genie and up to 3 clients free. But select an HD DVR and they are charging $199 (online). So to expect a Genie and 3 upgraded DVRs for free is probably a stretch.

Having said all that, you'll never know until you call.  Stranger things have happened. It all depends on who you talk too.

Good luck.

that is an understatement

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

My current setup which has been purring along with no problems is as follows...

2 - H-25's

3 - HR-20 700's

1 - HR-20 100

SWM16

Wired CCC

MRV's using DECA modules on each HR-20 and the second input and BSF hooked up on the HR-20 100

I sold my house and we are temporarily moving into a rental house until we find a new home.

In the rental house I will be going from the 6 receivers I use now down to 4.  Here are my idea's for the rental house...

I want to disconnect the 2 H-25's from service.  I want to replace one of the HR-20's (preferably the 100) with a Genie.  I then want to replace the other 3 HR-20's with the most current HDDVR (HR24?).  I do not really want to have any clients hooked up to the Genie.  My only "must" is that I must be able to share playlists between all of the DVR's (including the Genie) through Whole Home Service.  Should this work how I want it to?  I have been told by an installer that the Genie will not be compatible with anything except for the clients but that seems to be incorrect.  Also, I really don't want to pay anything for this.  Is that reasonable these days?  My account shows that I am eligible for an upgrade due to having the protection plan.  Also, I believe some of this would be free by taking advantage of the movers deal.  I have been a customer for over 13 years and have had the Sunday Ticket every year.  My contract is up in the beginning of December but I will need this done by Thanksgiving.  If I have to keep 3 of the HR-20's I will but since I no longer need the OTA I don't really want to keep them.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

you are really expecting a lot....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   DNickelson

DNickelson

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTulsa

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

At best this is what you can expect if you haven't called in. With the Protection plan upgrade you're going to get a free genie, you probably aren't going to be able to replace all those HR20s with newer recievers, maybe one if you talk to the movers department. The move should be free and that's about it.

#13 OFFLINE   Marino13

Marino13

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

First call I got a genie, hr-44 and another free move for later this year. I took it. Seemed fair.

#14 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

First call I got a genie, hr-44 and another free move for later this year. I took it. Seemed fair.

If you still want to upgrade your remaining HR's, you might want to discuss this with the tech that does the Genie or movers installation (with a few $20's in your hand).  If he has HR24's on his truck he'll probably be willing to help you out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...