Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Home Install Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TDockUSC

TDockUSC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm in the process of building a new home.  I am a current customer and am having my DirecTV moved in 2 weeks.

I'm adding a Genie and 2 mini-genies.  It's possible that I won't have one of my locations complete when they arrive to do the install (it's an outdoor patio area.)  

Will DTV leave me the mini-genie or will they have to come back and install it later?  Anyone know if the installer absolutely HAS to connect the mini-genie to the tv or if they can just leave it with me to setup when I'm ready?

Thanks.  

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

borrow a tv for the install date. 

if there is no power, run an extension cord.

the installer needs to check to see that everything works.

#3 OFFLINE   TDockUSC

TDockUSC

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'll have plenty of jacks in the house.  Can I have him set it up (say in a child's bedroom) and then move it outside when it's all finished? All my coax is run to a central location in the garage.  Will all jacks be "live" or only the ones the installer specifically sets up?

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

As trh says;

You need to borrow a TV for the incomplete patio area.  

And no, the installer cannot just leave a mini client for you to self install later. And it would take another separate installation order for DIRECTV to return and do it for an additional charge.

EDIT: Yes you can have the tech. install it in the child's room and then you move it yourself later.

As to whether all jacks will be active depends on the knowledge of the tech. in configuring the cabling of your wiring closet.

If not, you will have to configure it for all jacks active.

NOTE: Any unused active jacks must have terminating caps on them. 

Edited by HoTat2, 03 November 2013 - 07:08 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   TDockUSC

TDockUSC

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

HoTat2, thanks for the reply.  I want to make sure I understand...

Are you saying it is possible to have the tech activate all my outlets?  That is my desired outcome, giving me max flexibility with my mini-genies.  Is this something I should specifically request or is it standard procedure for DTV techs?

In all, I'll have 8 rooms with coax jacks (9 counting outside) but only 5 receivers.  (2 HR21-100s, 1 Genie and 2 mini-genie.)

Thanks again for your help. 

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,339 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

No, the tech will only activate the cables that are currently being  used.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Typically they will only hook up the wiring you have for receivers.

I'd make sure all your wires in your garage are labeled to which room they feed and then just move them as you need.

With your configuration (Genie and 2 HR21s, you'll have 9 tuners (mini-genies use the 5 tuners on the Genie)). That means they will be installing a SWM16 multi-switch.  Make sure you don't have more than 8 tuners on either side of the SWM16.  I'd wire the Genie to one side and the 2 HR21s to the other side.

#8 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

You might need to request that the tech use a larger splitter than he otherwise would so you have three open ports to plug in the unused coax cables every room active. If the installer won't do it, who cares, it will take you about 30 seconds. HoTat2 noted you're supposed to have terminators on the unused ports, but if you want to have to active lines in rooms without receivers so you can easily move them, you either need to put the terminators on the unused wall ports (and remember to swap them around when you move receivers) or just don't worry about it.

Issues with lack of terminators are mostly theoretical, it certainly isn't the sort of thing where you're guaranteed or even likely to have problems. Sort of like grounding, really. You "should" do it if you want to do things exactly right, but many people get along just fine without it. If you ever have problems you can add terminators to see if it helps, but I'd bet heavily they make no difference :)

What I'd suggest is to have him plug in the two HRs on one side of the SWM16, using a 2 way splitter, and the Genie, clients, and unused rooms on the other side using an 8 way splitter (I assume it will be the clients you move around, not the HRs) That should create the most efficient setup since the clients need to talk to the Genie and won't have to cross the SWM16's internal bridge which adds a bit of extra loss. So long as you don't have any really long runs (over 150 feet or more) from the SWM16, this will be fine.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:28 AM

Shoot, I have one friend who moved and had this issue.  He literally moved a tv from one room to another so they could get it setup and make it work

spam firewall