Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comparing VZ FiOS to D*

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm not switching from D*, but I ended up getting VZ FiOS for < $10/month added to my VZ internet access.  Added it primarily for Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, which has been great, but I thought I'd note what I think are the advantages/disadvantages of FiOS.

(I've been a D* customer since 1997, and currently have 2 HR20's and 1 HR24)

Advantages to FiOS:

CSN-Philly

All the local subchannels are up

More local programming (public access)

The DVR's GUI is beautiful (but D* is 100x more usable, which is much more important)

Channel changes are a LOT faster

I can't believe it, but I do like the clock on the FiOS box (like an old VCR)

VOD is much, much, much better.  It's amazingly fast, and mostly HD.

Music Choice is light years better than whatever crap music channels D* has nowadays

Advantages for D*:

More HD

The sports packages (NHL CI/NBA for example) have a LOT more HD

The usability on my HR2* is a lot better

I love the RF remote on D*

Channels are organized much better than FiOS

I prefer the good old ugly D* remote

About every week, the FiOS DVR downloads new software, which to me, implies an unstable code base

NFL Sunday Ticket

WWDVR

Equal:

To me, PQ is identical

To me, audio quality is identical

In summary, I'm not going to go only with FiOS right now, but probably would if the D* base price keeps skyrocketing (the bundle price is pretty hard to beat) or they lost NFLST.

Edited by wilbur_the_goose, 04 November 2013 - 07:48 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

I'm not switching to D*, but I ended up getting VZ FiOS for < $10/month added to my VZ internet access.  Added it primarily for Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, which has been great, but I thought I'd note what I think are the advantages/disadvantages of FiOS.

Advantages to FiOS:

CSN-Philly

The DVR's GUI is beautiful (but D* is 100x more usable, which is much more important)

Music Choice is light years better than whatever crap music channels D* has nowadays

Advantages for D*:

More HD

About every week, the FiOS DVR downloads new software, which to me, implies an unstable code base

NFL Sunday Ticket

WWDVR

Equal:

To me, PQ is identical

In summary, I'm not going to go only with FiOS right now, but probably would if the D* base price keeps skyrocketing (the bundle price is pretty hard to beat) or they lost NFLST.

That just about sums it up for me....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

Not sure the "more HD" claim is actually valid though. I have both providers and each is missing HD channels that the other carries.

To me the biggest advantage to DirecTV is the 5-tuner Genie DVR. Until FiOS steps up with their version, DirecTV will remain my primary provider.

#4 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:49 AM

To me..  i could care less about the price.   For me here locally with my crappy local cable company...  Direct TV without promos is STILL cheaper.  nevermind twice the channels.  I dont mind paying an extra 10-20 bucks a month to have the better product

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

Fortunately, here in the exurbs of Philly, we have D*, E*, C*, and V* - Competition is a very good thing.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

The "most HD" claim both is and isn't completely subjective. It really comes down to the channels you watch. Personally I couldn't care less if a given provider has Lifetime in HD, for example. I'm not denigrating people who may watch that or any other channel, but "most HD" only counts if one or the other has the channel(s) I actually watch in HD. 

To me..  i could care less about the price.   For me here locally with my crappy local cable company...  Direct TV without promos is STILL cheaper.  nevermind twice the channels.  I dont mind paying an extra 10-20 bucks a month to have the better product

For me, it's actually the opposite. If Charter can get CableCards working in my TiVos, I will be cancelling DirecTV because with a triple play bundle (phone+internet+TV), Charter is cheaper by $70 for the first year, $40 for the second year, and $30 after that than having Charter internet + DirecTV for TV. 

Not sure the "more HD" claim is actually valid though. I have both providers and each is missing HD channels that the other carries.

To me the biggest advantage to DirecTV is the 5-tuner Genie DVR. Until FiOS steps up with their version, DirecTV will remain my primary provider.

With FiOS you can use a TiVo, who has 4 and 6 tuner versions along with "mini" clients that work much like the Genie. That's another disadvantage to DirecTV, their DVRs actually have real competition from cable and FiOS if you're willing to deal with a cablecard install (which I understand with FiOS is usually painless)

#7 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

With FiOS you can use a TiVo, who has 4 and 6 tuner versions along with "mini" clients that work much like the Genie. That's another disadvantage to DirecTV, their DVRs actually have real competition from cable and FiOS if you're willing to deal with a cablecard install (which I understand with FiOS is usually painless)

Have a free MRDVR for life from FiOS - plus we watch a lot of VOD. Those two factors alone give me no interest in the Tivo platform. 

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm not switching from D*, but I ended up getting VZ FiOS for < $10/month added to my VZ internet access.  Added it primarily for Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, which has been great, but I thought I'd note what I think are the advantages/disadvantages of FiOS.

Advantages to FiOS:

CSN-Philly

Advantages for D*:

More HD

NFL Sunday Ticket

WWDVR

Equal:

To me, PQ is identical

I have both in house and pretty much agree.

A few differences, but preferences. I don't find the fios interface pretty at all. I think it it is garish and confusing. The On Demand is quick but I like the download option as you cannot skip or FF faster than 2x with "traditional" On Demand.  If DirecTV would cleanup how you find things (quicker) then I would prefer their method.

Fios is much better for local programming as they do have all the sub channels and, for me, neighboring locals in HD but their national HD is behind (they were once ahead), especially in sports.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,236 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

I switched from DirecTV to FiOS just over two years ago. The main reason was the slow response of the DVR. The secondary reason was saving $40/month the first year and $20/month the second year. The current price is about the same as I was paying DirecTV two years ago. I have no idea how much DirecTV's prices have increased in that time.

I like the vast amount of VOD available, the local public service channels, an extra PBS HD channel, better picture quality on SD channels, and Music Choice. The FiOS program guide works fine for me.

I miss the Pac-12 network, but DirecTV doesn't carry it either.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#10 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

The "most HD" claim both is and isn't completely subjective. It really comes down to the channels you watch. Personally I couldn't care less if a given provider has Lifetime in HD, for example. I'm not denigrating people who may watch that or any other channel, but "most HD" only counts if one or the other has the channel(s) I actually watch in HD. 

For me, it's actually the opposite. If Charter can get CableCards working in my TiVos, I will be cancelling DirecTV because with a triple play bundle (phone+internet+TV), Charter is cheaper by $70 for the first year, $40 for the second year, and $30 after that than having Charter internet + DirecTV for TV. 

The problem with the Tivo's is you have a decently high upfront cost and then either a very high lifetime, or additional monthly charges.  

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#11 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

The problem with the Tivo's is you have a decently high upfront cost and then either a very high lifetime, or additional monthly charges.  

Actually it's not that bad, depending on  how long you keep it. I just did the math in a thread over at the Tivo community forums and if you consider the up front lease fee of a Genie (IE: you're not getting it free as a promo) it pays for itself in about 3 years. If you get the lifetime then it's even better because you either come out ahead every month past the break even date, or if you decide to sell and upgrade, TiVos with lifetime retain their resell value very, very well.

Edited by JosephB, 04 November 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Equal:

Another fellow member here stated they noticed the audio volume to be noticeably lower on D* then FiOS.... http://www.dbstalk.c...s/#entry3192293

Charter may be cheaper but they don't offer NBA League Pass, NBA TV, NFL Sunday Ticket, SportSouth in HD; unlike D* they also do NOT offer FS South / SportSouth ALT overflow feeds for times when either Hawks, Grizzlies, Predators and/or Braves are on at the same time... I never could consider them as an option for TV service. However, I do have there internet service and it is quite good and reliable for the most part.

The one sports channel they do carry that I wouldn't mind having is CSS HD (jointly owned by Comcast/Charter), however I feel with the launch of the SEC Network in August 2014 this channel will have an even lower value for SEC sports anyway. I would much rather give up having CSS HD then SportSouth HD and the ALT/Overflows of FS South / SportSouth that D* carries.

#13 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,145 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

And in my area, well youd be nuts to have charter.  A total disaster.  Obviously his area must be better, we only have one hbo, one showtime, etc in hd in my area..  plus maybe half the hd channels directv has.And the pq suks to boot.

#14 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

Actually it's not that bad, depending on  how long you keep it. I just did the math in a thread over at the Tivo community forums and if you consider the up front lease fee of a Genie (IE: you're not getting it free as a promo) it pays for itself in about 3 years. If you get the lifetime then it's even better because you either come out ahead every month past the break even date, or if you decide to sell and upgrade, TiVos with lifetime retain their resell value very, very well.

I wouldnt go that far.  I am a member on that forum and Premiere values with lifetime have not retained there value

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#15 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

Another fellow member here stated they noticed the audio volume to be noticeably lower on D* then FiOS.... http://www.dbstalk.c...s/#entry3192293

Charter may be cheaper but they don't offer NBA League Pass, NBA TV, NFL Sunday Ticket, SportSouth in HD; unlike D* they also do NOT offer FS South / SportSouth ALT overflow feeds for times when either Hawks, Grizzlies, Predators and/or Braves are on at the same time... I never could consider them as an option for TV service. However, I do have there internet service and it is quite good and reliable for the most part.

The one sports channel they do carry that I wouldn't mind having is CSS HD (jointly owned by Comcast/Charter), however I feel with the launch of the SEC Network in August 2014 this channel will have an even lower value for SEC sports anyway. I would much rather give up having CSS HD then SportSouth HD and the ALT/Overflows of FS South / SportSouth that D* carries.

Honestly, I couldn't give two spits about the SEC network. I'm already dreading when it launches since it's probably going to add several dollars to my bill, regardless of my provider. I also don't care about SportSouth in HD, except for the few Braves games that I sometimes randomly watch I never watch anything on Fox Sports South or SportSouth. My UAB Blazers play more often on CSS, and a good portion of their televised basketball games will be on CSS this year. I also don't watch the NBA nor do I subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket.

Again, the "most HD" claim only counts when applied against the channels you watch.

#16 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Advantages to FiOS:

CSN-Philly

Advantages for D*:

More HD

NFL Sunday Ticket

WWDVR

Equal:

To me, PQ is identical

I switch from D to FIOS full time last month. I don't miss a thing outside of the channel organization. 

Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#17 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have a HTPC with an Xbox extender in my son's room. Ceton infinity 4 I had since they 1st came out. I'm about to buy the 6 tuner and reduce my Verizon box count to 0. 

Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#18 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Again, the "most HD" claim only counts when applied against the channels you watch.

To the individual customer, yes. But the odds increase of finding things customers want when the count is higher for one system over another.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#19 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

I'm about to switch over to Verizon after DTV screwed me for the last time!!

http://www.dbstalk.c...e-with-directv/

#20 OFFLINE   mikellie

mikellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

The ONLY reason that I have been commited to DirecTV for the past 14 years, is NFL Sunday Ticket. And I've let it be known to them many times, that if they should ever lose it, they also lose me. I have been very happy with their customer service though. Every time I have ever called, they have been able to satisfy my complaints. It really makes a difference if you have the protection plan, they treat you better. I really wish that the NFL would control the NFL Sunday Ticket and make it available to every satellite and cable service in the country. Seems as though they would make millions of dollars more. Then, we would have the freedom to choose whatever provider we want without sacrificing our football team.

HR34-700, HR22-100(x2), 46" Samsung 3D LED, Samsung 32" HDTV. Whole Home DVR.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...