Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comparing VZ FiOS to D*

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

The ONLY reason that I have been commited to DirecTV for the past 14 years, is NFL Sunday Ticket. And I've let it be known to them many times, that if they should ever lose it, they also lose me. I have been very happy with their customer service though. Every time I have ever called, they have been able to satisfy my complaints. It really makes a difference if you have the protection plan, they treat you better. I really wish that the NFL would control the NFL Sunday Ticket and make it available to every satellite and cable service in the country. Seems as though they would make millions of dollars more. Then, we would have the freedom to choose whatever provider we want without sacrificing our football team.

But can cable systems do NFL ST right? a very few system have all 9 team and game HD channels and even with them you still less HD then directv with MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP.

Dish still has the part time RSN's and does not have the room to show all games in HD.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

DirecTV has an exclusive on NFLST.

By the way, I've been spending more time comparing PQ.  I'm convinced now that FiOS has better PQ on the 720p channels (FOX, ABC, ESPN).   Did a blind test lat night during the USC/Stanford game - FiOS came out on top every time.  (BTW - I have a professionally calibrated 65' Panny plasma).

DirecTV customer since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

By the way, I've been spending more time comparing PQ.  I'm convinced now that FiOS has better PQ on the 720p channels (FOX, ABC, ESPN).   Did a blind test lat night during the USC/Stanford game - FiOS came out on top every time.  (BTW - I have a professionally calibrated 65' Panny plasma).

It's not really fair to use the networks to test... ESPN, FS1, and cable networks is more fair. Locals can really vary by market.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hmm. I don't see that at all. In fact, fios can't pass through native without going into a hidden service menu. You have to pick 720 or 1080 from the box and the other is converted. That tells me the box is always conditioning. With the directv box, you can do pure native. And I see slightly better PQ on a lot of directv channels because of that.

SD is much better on fios, however.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

Huh. I get native passthru on D* and ,V*. No secret menus.
Just did another blind compare on ESPN Monday Night Football. My wife and I both chose V*.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#26 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Huh. I get native passthru on D* and ,V*. No secret menus.
Just did another blind compare on ESPN Monday Night Football. My wife and I both chose V*.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

you may have a newer box.  most of the fios boxes are those POS Motorola boxes that dont do native

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#27 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

you may have a newer box.  most of the fios boxes are those POS Motorola boxes that dont do native

You just access the service menu -- pretty easy.  And the fact you chose native does appear in the regular GUI, and you can switch out of native without going back to the service menu.

I had native turned on, but turned it off as I couldn't find any notable difference in PQ yet the channel changes are faster.  They're instantaneous.

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

wilbur_the_goose, on 03 Nov 2013 - 6:48 PM, said:snapback.png

Equal:
To me, audio quality is identical

Another fellow member here stated they noticed the audio volume to be noticeably lower on D* then FiOS.... http://www.dbstalk.c...s/#entry3192293

Lower volume by itself has nothing to do with quality! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

You just access the service menu -- pretty easy.  And the fact you chose native does appear in the regular GUI, and you can switch out of native without going back to the service menu.

I had native turned on, but turned it off as I couldn't find any notable difference in PQ yet the channel changes are faster.  They're instantaneous.

You need the service menu to get into it. You can get out of it via the normal menus. A service menu is secret. I have seen a drop in quality when I go out of the native mode. However, with my old TV, changing modes with Fios was so annoying (multiple flashes) that I turned it off. I am going to try it again with my new TV, which switches quicker.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

wilbur_the_goose, on 03 Nov 2013 - 6:48 PM, said:snapback.png

Lower volume by itself has nothing to do with quality! 

I have not seen (heard) a volume discrepancy. I switch all the time between the two. If there was, my AVR has an adjustment setting that I could use for volume from different sources.

#31 ONLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have not seen (heard) a volume discrepancy. I switch all the time between the two. If there was, my AVR has an adjustment setting that I could use for volume from different sources.

With my AVR (Denon), I have my Directv input set with the maximum offset. To balance with the other inputs, most of them are -5. Trouble is, Pandora and YouTube are "normal" so it blasts my ears if I forget to reduce the volume.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#32 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

You need the service menu to get into it. You can get out of it via the normal menus. A service menu is secret. I have seen a drop in quality when I go out of the native mode. However, with my old TV, changing modes with Fios was so annoying (multiple flashes) that I turned it off. I am going to try it again with my new TV, which switches quicker.

Well, the 30 second skip on D* DVRs is secret too.  So are all the fancy keywords you can use in autorecord.  I understand where you're coming from, but it's not much of a secret.  My installer asked if I wanted native mode or not.  

My TV just had the single 2 second pause when changing resolutions.  Notice I didn't say channels -- as you know (but others might not), if you change from a 1080i to another 1080i channel the screen doesn't flash and the channel change is immediate.  Unfortunately, if you're watching a recording then press "stop", and live TV is tuned to a different resolution channel, the TV screen flashes black for two seconds because of the PIG.  It's that behavior that made me disable native mode.

I set it to non-native 1080i.  ESPN is just the tiniest bit blurrier.  It doesn't bother me as I sit far enough from the TV that I can't tell, and I have 20/17 vision.  If I were hosting a Superbowl party and the game was on FOX, I'd switch it to native mode just for that night.  It takes me one minute to reboot and enter the service menu and change it, then the 7232 takes 2-3 minutes to reboot, download all the guide data, and repopulate the entire to do list.  Not a big deal at all.

Edited by bobcamp1, 20 November 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

30 skip and booleans are just "undocumented". A service menu is a little more than that as you don't want people in there, as messing something up can cause serious issues, like changing values in the service menu of a TV.

#34 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Have HR44, Roamio Plus, and FiOS 7232 all next to each other. Some day will post my thoughts.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#35 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

I've been living with both for a while now.  Some more observations:

1.  The PQ on FiOS is definitely better across the board.  SD is 100x better, HD is about 5% better.

2.  The D* HR series is the clear winner.  No RF remote control on FiOS, and it's very sensitive to off-axis IR issues.

3.  The FiOS channel placement makes no sense - Makes D* look like it was laid out by a usability expert.

4.  There is no way to hide SD duplicates on FiOS. A clear advantage for D*.

Don't shoot me for #1.  It's true - the D* picture quality just isn't what it used to be, in my opinion.

PS - I watch a LOT of sports, and that's where I did my PQ compares.

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

I've been living with both for a while now.  Some more observations:

1.  The PQ on FiOS is definitely better across the board.  SD is 100x better, HD is about 5% better.

2.  The D* HR series is the clear winner.  No RF remote control on FiOS, and it's very sensitive to off-axis IR issues.

3.  The FiOS channel placement makes no sense - Makes D* look like it was laid out by a usability expert.

4.  There is no way to hide SD duplicates on FiOS. A clear advantage for D*.

Don't shoot me for #1.  It's true - the D* picture quality just isn't what it used to be, in my opinion.

PS - I watch a LOT of sports, and that's where I did my PQ compares.

Those are pretty consistent (and objective) observations that I've seen firsthand and also read from a few other folks.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Agree lack of RF stinks if you need it, but I used my daughter and son-in-law's FiOS DVR a lot over the past 2 weeks, and I have no real issues with it at all. I am now very comfortable with both GUIs and can find things to like and dislike about each. I consider them equal. Just my .02, tho.

We got past the lack of IR with a couple of these kits. Their bedroom DVR is hidden in a closet and the living room DVR is located in the basement, along with the rest of the A/V equipment.

/steve

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

To me, number 2 and 3 outweigh number 1, at least for hd. Number if hd channels or hd quality at some point isn't the most important factor when it's close.

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

#39 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

I wiped out number #2 by just going with Roamio. The Roamio Slider Pro (keyboard) RF remote is especially nice.

As far as HD ...

DirecTV (Premier) has: 3net,Audience Network, Bloomberg Television, BTN Alternates, CBS Sports Network, Crime & Investigation, Disney Junior, DIY Network, Encore Action, Fox Soccer Plus, Fox Sports 2 (formerly Fuel TV), H2, Hallmark Channel, HLN, MLB Strike Zone, NBC Sports Premier League Extra, NFL Sunday Ticket, OWN, Playboy TV, Sho Beyond, Sho Next, Sho Women, Shorts HD, Starz Cinema, Starz in Black, Starz West, Turner Classic Movies.

FiOS (Ultimate HD) has: Cars.TV, Comedy.TV, Epix, Epix 2, ES.TV, ESPN Goal Line / Buzzer Beater, Fuse, HBO Comedy West, HBO Family West, HBO Latino West, HBO Signature West, HBO Zone West, HSN, Hub, MoreMax West, MyDestination.TV, Outdoor Channel, OuterMax, Oxygen, Pets.TV, Recipe.TV, Sho Extreme West, Showcase West, Showtime 2 West, TVGN, Universal Sports Network, WE tv, Wealth TV, World Fishing Network.

Epix has been a surprise, been recording a bunch of stuff.

Still working on my Roamio vs Genie observations, but's let's just say that there's some new interesting technologies out there.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#40 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

That is a benefit, if you don't like their own equipment, you have other options and not just a crippled thr.

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

spam firewall